Bicycles!

A while back, I asked about fancy bike computers.

After much consideration, the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is my current favourite, mostly by virtue of costing €100 less than the Hammerhead Karoo. According to their support department, the device supports having multiple "bike profiles". Unfortunately, the support person was unable to understand my question if this means that each bike profile holds its own statistic (odometer mainly).
@altoid, @eizbaer - do you know anything here? I know back then you both didn't know...

I'm almost willing to try it out and send back if not suitable, but I haven't given up hope to find an answer before I buy...

I have no idea—I changed the ride’s bike on Strava as needed when I had two bikes.

to be honest I don't think it has a "split odometer". i think what the person was referring to was the ability of the unit to automatically connect to multiple different sensor spread across multiple bikes (to be expected, really).
currently, the way i see it, the unit itself doesn't have an odometer at all (internally). this is only provided through the corresponding app and in that app i can only see one odometer with total miles and no way to spread this across multiple bikes. there is no equipment tracking of any kind there. all done through strava for me as well.

I just asked a friend of mine who IIRC has a Bolt, she should be able to answer that question. 🙂

Ugh, my indoor trainer has started making rather alarming squeaking noises again after I already had it replaced also a year ago. I think that thing might not be a solidly built as hoped…

So, everyone in this thread are bycycle people right? I'm sure some wear lycra? So please explain me this, and this is a genuine question? Why is a certain percentage of you, and I mean the die-hard cycle anywhere anytime obsessed with strava times warrior? Why are the always so competitive? At every damn thing? I've been working for 22 years now and at every place there is this guy who has to the best, the smartest, the fastest at everything, and they always, always ride a bike!

I'm genuinly confused what drives these people to bikes.......you would think if they always wanted to be the fastest, they would buy a sportscar......

I'm genuinly confused what drives these people to bikes.......you would think if they always wanted to be the fastest, they would buy a sportscar......
Well… a car is just money. on the bike, it’s all you. Yes, there’s still insanely expensive equipment and while that does make a difference, in the end it’s all your own power.

why there seems to be a particularly large overlap between the particularly competitive and the cyclists, I can only guess. Maybe it’s Belgium (cyclists are weird over there, I must say), or maybe you have a weirdly skewed sample. I haven’t noticed anything like that correlation myself tbh, not in my direct surroundings at least (see addition at the end).

strava in particular makes for very strange behavior from competitive people though, I must admit. There’s people going out to explicitly hunt segment leaderboards. They’ll sprint their ass of for a single segment, sometimes even going nearby by car to be nice and fresh for it. Not to mention outright cheating by just going by ebike or car even. 50km/h up a sustained 10% climb, sure… at least try and keep it realistic? It’s dumbasses like that who honestly ruin the whole thing for the rest of us. In the end, you actually must have a point, actually. Because there’s a lot of that cheating going on.

I just asked a friend of mine who IIRC has a Bolt, she should be able to answer that question. 🙂
That would be nice. :)

And I think the answer to the same question for the Karoo is a "no", right?

It confuses the hell out of me how companies can design high-end bike computers like this and apparently forget the most basic functions.

It confuses the hell out of me how companies can design high-end bike computers like this and apparently forget the most basic functions.

You’re still the only person I know of who cares about this, so maybe it’s not such a basic function. 😁

You’re still the only person I know of who cares about this
Maybe. I want a "dash" for my bike first, navigation second, and all those fancy workout-related functions are an insignificant toy. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong products.

And I think the answer to the same question for the Karoo is a "no", right?
For the Karoo it's a "yes", as long as you remember to mark which bike you used after you end the recording. It doesn't automatically end a recording, you have to tell the headunit "now I'm finished with the ride" (of course it asks if you are really sure if you want to end the recording), then it takes you to a screen where you can edit the title, description, which bike you used and if it was a ride, a commute or an indoor session on a trainer.
Unfortunately I haven't heard back from my friend yet, I'll update you when she answered.

Karoo odometer 1.jpgKaroo odometer 2.jpgKaroo odometer 3.jpgKaroo odometer 4.jpg

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong products.
That may be the case, yes. Question is whether what you’re looking for actually exist (without the focus on workout and navigation features) or whether the target customer group for that is simply too small.

Maybe. I want a "dash" for my bike first, navigation second, and all those fancy workout-related functions are an insignificant toy. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong products.

Have you considered a phone mount (e.g., QuadLock) and an app with whatever you care about, maybe even as simple as Google Maps?

For the Karoo it's a "yes", as long as you remember to mark which bike you used after you end the recording.
That looks good. :) Also thanks for the pictures.
It's all manual, of course, which is a bit of a drawback.

Question is whether what you’re looking for actually exist (without the focus on workout and navigation features)
I've just looked around, and as I expected Sigma are still making exactly what I want - at least their basic devices support two different bikes (the descriptions of the fancier ones are more vague). From the current lineup, the BC 16.16 looks quite good. Or perhaps the Rox 12.0 Sport from the GPS'd line - but that seems to be not available anymore. :(
My experience so far is quite decent - I've had a few iterations of Sigma Sport BC xxxx since the late 1990s. Currently a BC1609 (I think) from about 10 to 15 years ago that has a cabled speed sensor on both my bikes - and does total mileage and total ride both for each of them, and the sums.

I just thought I could go for something fancier, with GPS navigation being the main feature upgrade. This would be great for rides in unknown territory. Of course I can run Komoot or any other navigation app on the phone, but I do like a dedicated device on the bike (and a real speed sensor that's not GPS). Also, audio streaming to bluetooth earphones, GPS navigation/tracking and screen on drain a phone battery quite fast. And I don't feel comfortable having my phone constantly exposed to the bike vibrations on a handlebar mount - when it's in my pocket, my body acts as a suspension, so to speak.

For me it's the question of either sticking with a "simple" and cheap bike computer for the basics, and missing the fancy stuff, or going for a €400 all-inclusive solution which would be an awesome toy to have. But for that money, it definitely must have the basic features of a bike computer. And tracking the total mileage of the vehicle is really basic. Would you buy a car without an odometer? That's the level of implicitness on which I'm thinking about this.

Last edited:
Yeah Strava people are weird. I tried it last year but quickly realized getting any ‘decent’ topscore would require hugely expensive equipment, driving extremely dangerously (like not slowing down for anyone because timed lap). Not to mention you need to be literal world class go get anywhere near the top 10. Either that or massive cheating

Strava does egg you on by telling you stats like ‘you may suck overall but if we only look at riders your age and weight you’re 35th this week. Click here for a subscription so you get more stats’

I guess it’s something to do with ‘I’m the fastest over this particular section’ by my own power.

Anyway, I’ve lost interest in Strava because of this. Google fit does basically the same thing without broadcasting your (comparatively shit) results, which is handy

I tried it for some of the walks I do with my dog, but then I forgot about it.

I only used Strava for a month when it was the mandatory tool to track the rides for a competition within our company. And already then, I was quite drawn to optimizing my routes towards the competition goal: Most rides of at least 30 km? Of course I designed a route that was about 30.5 km. Highest average speed for a ride of over 30 km? I was very ready to go by train to a certain point from where I would have basically 30 km of downhill. I only didn't do it because our resident thriathlon nut posted an above 40 kph average on a 150 km route so my attempts were a moot point anyway.

I much prefer to just have a go for my own well-being and fun, without the need of "sharing" any results. Also, the "freemium" business model tends to get on my nerves with constant advertisements for the paid features.

Reliable Transportation (that's its name) finally got some fenders:

*burning vehicle*

No more mud butt!

Yep, just ordered some easy detachable fenders for my racing bycicle too, now that I've decided to stop being lazy and and using my two legs instead of the V10 to get to work every day. So since Monday apart when there is snow or ice on the road, the bike it is, even when it's raining. What doesn't kill you makes you harder, that sort of thinking. Still, better keep that water from shooting upwards and playing bidet, so fenders are much needed.

Surprise bidet is the worst.

(lol @ "burning vehicle")

Ugh, my indoor trainer has started making rather alarming squeaking noises again after I already had it replaced also a year ago. I think that thing might not be a solidly built as hoped…
yup, that's fucked.
1642754826075.png

I assume while putting that thing together someone must've conveniently forgotten to put some grease in there to prevent exactly that. yup. real nice. here i go complain to the importer of the damn australian thing again.

I much prefer to just have a go for my own well-being and fun, without the need of "sharing" any results. Also, the "freemium" business model tends to get on my nerves with constant advertisements for the paid features.
I'd like to track my progress, but just to know "Hey, I am not sucking as bad as before" and also some voice telling me how far I ran every 500 meters, but NOOOOOO.
You either get nothing or a detailed report of how many steps, how much CO2 I saved by not taking a car AND also how much CO2 I expelled, pace, elevation, bearing, windspeed, sector speed, KiloWatts generated, shoe lace wear, dog turds avoided, air temperature, humidity (both air and mine), kebab prices nearby and ETA for the closest bathroom.