Bicycles!

Maintenance Mon... let me check, it's actually not Monday so Maintenance Tuesday for me today - replaced chain and pulleys, now I will order both to have them in stock when it's due again. Since I ride in all weathers and rode this very bike for about 1500 km just this year it won't be long until I have to replace the chain again. I don't like ordering consumables just when they're needed since in these times it will inevitably be the time another parts shortage hits and then I have to order more expensive parts just to keep the bikes running...

2022-02-22 Maintenance Tuesday.jpg

Oh, and the rear rim of the cargo bike had a crack so I ordered a new one (plus the special spokes for the Rohloff hub), should arrive today at the shop which will rebuild the wheel. I took the wheel apart myself to a) clean the hub thoroughly for once and b) save the shop a bit of work and myself some money. I don't really want learn to rebuild a wheel since I need it very rarely it's just 30-40 Euros at the shop anyway and I'll have warranty if something goes wrong. Most other maintenance work I can do (replace brake shoes, replace anything related to the drive, fixing punctures and whatnot), but I won't touch something like wheel alignment or brake fluid.

2022-01-24 Felgenriss.jpg

Last edited:
So... I've shied away from the very expensive options for a new bike computer and instead bought a used Sigma Rox 12.0 Sport from eBay classifieds. That device isn't available new anymore, and used ones are mostly offered near new price. So, scoring one that looks a bit used around the edges - but without any scratches on the display - for €125 is what I call a good bargain. If I'm not satisfied, it looks like I can resell it easily.

It also came with two holders so I can mount it on the trekking bike, too. But I will probably only do that on "proper" occasions. I'm going to purchase the combined speed/cadence sensor when I get my new road bike. And perhaps even a heart-rate sensor, but I'm not sure if I'm that serious about my workout.

I obviously need to try the device out on the weekend. Luckily, the weather forecast predicts sunny weather - cold, but sunny. Anyway, Komoot and Strava are already linked. :D

PSX_20220312_204444.jpg

PSX_20220312_204522.jpg

PSX_20220312_204550.jpg

Built myself another bike. 😁

Specs: 2000 Schwinn Homegrown 17" frame, Carver rigid fork, Orange Velo Klunker handlebars, ODI grips, Salsa stem, Control Tech seatpost, Ritchey saddle, 26x2.1 Schwalbe Billy Bonkers tires, 1x9 drivetrain, vintage Shimano XT shifter, brake levers, hubs cranks, Veluta 32t chainring, Race Face Chester pedals, Mavic rims, vintage Shimano XTR v-brakes, derailluer, Jagwire cables.

So I wanted to go out for a quick ride today, so decided to give the SKS Airchecker a test that my wife gave me for Christmas. Pumped my tires (25mm with tubes) up to what I sort of felt was right (very firm). Put the thing to the test: 2 bar. Yeah no, that can’t be right? Pumped around a little more and then set off at an indicated 3.5 - which was a bit too much for comfort. So yeah, that thing seems to be dead on arrival and have to be RMAd. Ugggghhhh

3.5 bar seems very low for my taste.
Exactly. Hence my reasoning the thing must be broken and I was actually riding, if I had to guess, some 7.5-8 bar.
And while the display on my pump has been broken for years, this was fairly close to what could comfortably be pumped with it (floor standing type pump).

What do you do if you are driving around with an empty trunk and encounter a stray shopping cart 600 metres away from it's shop? Usually you don't care and just drive on, right? Well, I'm cycling around with an empty cargo rack so I just strapped the cart down and brought it (to it's, not my :p ) home. :)

2022-03-15 Carryshitolympics.jpg

Man, with most of my cars having some kind of issue and springtime bringing later hours with sunlight, I think "Reliable Transportation" (my bike) is going to live up to its name now. The only thing that's been keeping me off of it has been a pinched nerve from my shoulder muscles popping out of place on the 411 trip, but that's doing a lot better after physical therapy yesterday. So, here we gooooooooo.

Decided to do some spring cleaning on the bike before starting to head outside more… something is making noises up front so I spontaneously Decided to replace my bottom bracket. Since it’s screwed rather than pressfi, that should be easy enough and at 15€ it’s actually cheap. While I’m at it, might as well change the chain. It’s been running indoors mostly but should still be nearing the end of its life (if only I could find my chain checker tool…).
also received the replacemeint airchecker and indeed those 3.5 bar were… let’s say considerably more :D

I spontaneously Decided to replace my bottom bracket. Since it’s screwed rather than pressfi, that should be easy enough and at 15€ it’s actually cheap.
If you haven't ordered/bought the replacement, watch out for the width since there are multiple widths available. Most bottom brackets are 68 or 73 mm. Additionally you'll need a special tool if you don't have it already, there are dozens of different tools so sometimes even if you buy a bottom bracket of the correct width you won't be able to install it since it needs a different tool than the one which is currently installed.

Source: own experience... :rolleyes:

If you haven't ordered/bought the replacement, watch out for the width since there are multiple widths available. Most bottom brackets are 68 or 73 mm. Additionally you'll need a special tool if you don't have it already, there are dozens of different tools so sometimes even if you buy a bottom bracket of the correct width you won't be able to install it since it needs a different tool than the one which is currently installed.

Source: own experience... :rolleyes:
Yeah, I did make sure to buy the exact same BB - luckily my shop of choice is very thorough in their parts descriptions, more often than not even Directly listing corresponding and compatible parts. The BB at least should be fine, since it really is the exact same as is currently in there. No experiments!

also made sure to actually measure the chain before just changing it… and because of the high percentage of indoor riding (and thus sparkly clean drivetrain), the chain wear is below 0.5% actually… at more than 8.000 km on that chain :eek: insane!

anyway, parts are expensive atm, so I’m totally fine with getting another season out of that thing :)

also also: I did realize I bought the wrong brake pads. And the ones I actually need are sold out everywhere of course. And my brakes do make considerable noise… hrmpf.

edit: we have an older lady in our village blasting around on a standup bicycle… but not quite like that elliptical crap. Just a bicycle with tiny 18“ (I think) wheels a crazy high steerwr and no seat. Looks ridiculous. Like this.
40420AC6-502B-4D86-9732-78CFFA7E451A.jpeg

Err, I might have to dig out my bicycle after work... o_O

On the ride at 6 am it did snow a bit, but it has picked up massively in the last two hours...

IMG_20220331_080622.jpg

Well, 9 hours later there is barely anything left since the ground is too warm and the outside temperatures are well above freezing. The only snow left was the one on the cargo rack, I went out to the bike an hour before calling it a day to clear the rack and now the bike is practically bone dry...

Fat Bike season is over, unfortunately I screwed up my back and missed the last bit.

Now I'm trying to understand mountain bikes after not having one for 20 years. So far I've learned:
  1. Mountain bikes are fucking expensive now.
  2. I know absolutely nothing about bike specs these days.
I can sympathize with non-gearheads when people start talking about cross plane and flat plane cranks or undersquare vs oversquare engines.