Bicycles!

What would that be? Regular farts?

Congrats Eizbär, looks like a really nice bike... Methinks it might be time for a bikemeet sometime this summer, with you, Danrom and me living in a 100km radius and all having recently N+1'd with road bikes...

Ahem. I prefer the term "open exhaust." Haha.

Congrats Eizbär, looks like a really nice bike... Methinks it might be time for a bikemeet sometime this summer, with you, Danrom and me living in a 100km radius and all having recently N+1'd with road bikes...
Sounds like a plan! 👍 I’m on partial parental leave for most of July and August, so I should be able to free up some time.

all having recently N+1'd with road bikes...
I wanted to say that I replaced my old road bike, but because that is now collecting dust in my basement, I suppose I really n+1'd.

A meetup would be excellent. But for the record, we live 150 km apart. :D

What would that be? Regular farts?
I was thinking about this today… what the actual equivalent might be:
Oversized pulley wheels?
Obnoxiously loud freehubs (or even de-greased, idiots)?
6.5kg bike with a 120kg dude on it?
Fixies and/or track bikes on the road?

Also, some of the accessories to the NBD arrived early, and I’m very happy with my choice of bell. Since I went nuts and spent a bunch of money on fully integrated aero bars a regular bell was out. So enter this beautiful piece of ingenuity:
F1BA5CCC-4FCD-401A-931C-2620C19D76C9.jpeg

It simply replaces the bar end plug. Sure ringing it will mostly require moving your hand, but I think with drop bars that’s true for regular bells as well. Also it makes for a very clean look imo. It’s not even crazy expensive (or rather: there’s a lot of similarly priced bells out there at 20€).

Last edited:
It has arrived! And because of crap weather I only went for a very short stint… but damn 🥰 absolutely no regrets!
4CC31B8E-1D71-4B51-9DD4-21DB4E18D206.jpeg

Oh also: that bar end bell works very well indeed. Also no regrets 😝

Edit: looking at the picture, the geometry and ride position look very aggressive. But while it certainly is rather different from my old bike, it’s not uncomfortable at all… at least not from the short round I was out on today. Maybe my body helps a bit there (1,90m but short legs, so this is size L rather than XL).

Edit 2: only thing I really don’t like are the bloody tan sidewalls. That trend needs to die. In a fire.

Last edited:
Those look nasty

Really really nice bell, I have to say. Works well, has a very nice ring! As long as you don’t over tighten it (PSA @DanRoM, in case you get it too).
I just noticed how the "Canyon" decals are designed to make it look fast. I like that.
It wants to go fast as well… good for the few rather short stints I’ve done, but I’ll have to pay attention to my pacing for longer rides 😁

That's a good looking bell end.

I had almost forgotten how much fun this was, after basically exclusively riding my road bike for a month and a half, and just using the mtb for errands...
IMG_6474.JPEG

Hi!

As the bike now has non-spirited duties as well, the double-sided SPD pedals weren’t ideal, so I installed some combo flat/SPD ones. The ones I’ve had before left me serously underwhelmed, so I looked elsewhere this time, and found the goodness that is DMR Versa. Apparently DMR is really good stuff, so I splurged $150 to find out. I placed the order on Tuesday, got them today, and on they went right away!

The super quick garage test rides I did in sneakers and cycling shoes were both positive, but obviously that’s barely brief test fit territory, and actual rides will show what’s what. And that’s just fine by me. 😁

Now to make with the pictures…

IMG_5983.jpeg

IMG_5984.jpeg

IMG_5985.jpeg

IMG_5986.jpeg

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpeg

Update: As per this morning’s test ride, the clipless side worked great—I just have to remember to look for it when clipping in, since I’m so used to just using blunt force on the symmetrical ones. 😁

3C047BE3-3C1E-4A81-A25B-81E412CCA400.jpeg

22A283F2-6FDE-4DFF-B324-37FADD31B4EE.jpeg

2FC15466-3077-45A5-9AFA-7F093323E68B.jpeg

BEBD2D75-5702-421C-A7C6-484E428473B1.jpeg

So anyone following this years doping world champs Tour de France? I give it the occasional watch if work allows and can recommend the live coverage on their website for anyone who just wants to give it a sporadic glance… surprisingly well done that. Also I hope that uppity Slovenian gets his ass handed to him. Sorry.

Update: As per this morning’s test ride, the clipless side worked great—I just have to remember to look for it when clipping in, since I’m so used to just using blunt force on the symmetrical ones. 😁

View attachment 3565573
Are we just going to ignore the two very different approaches to boating illustrated by the craft "Full Send" being berthed next to the "Dude"?

Honestly not sure who would have the better party.