Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela) by alabang, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/6.3
Lens Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
ISO Speed 1600
Support Gitzo GT5541LS + WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Crop 5.4MP out of 16MP

The Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela) is a medium-sized bird of prey that is found in forested habitats across tropical Asia. Within its widespread range, there are considerable variations and some forms are treated as subspecies while others are considered full species and the systematics of the group is not resolved. Close relatives that are often treated as full species include the Philippine Serpent Eagle (S. holospila), Andaman Serpent-eagle (Spilornis elgini) and South Nicobar Serpent-eagle (Spilornis klossi). All members within the species complex have a large looking head with feathers on their head giving them a maned and crested appearance. The face is bare and yellow joining up with the ceres and powerful feet are unfeathered and heavily scaled. They forage over the forest canopy with their wings and tail showing broad white and black bars and often call with a piercing and familiar three or two-note call. They often feed on snakes, giving them their name and are placed along with the Circaetus snake-eagles in the subfamily Circaetinae.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crested_Serpent-eagle

Jay is going to jimp!

Beautiful, and it's reinforced my opinion that having lots of megapixels does indeed make the camera more versatile. Only having 6MP on my D40 has caused me to render so many shots unusable. :(

Jay did jimp. If I was to start taking photos of birds, I would have a dedicated lens longer than 400 mm and a considerably better camera. Birds around here are not that interesting, insofar as ornithology goes; Australia has freaks like Gouldian Finches and the like. Baltimore Orioles, Cardinals, Goldfinches and Indigo Buntings are about the most colorful here.

Thanks Mine, Matt and Jay.

Matt: Megapixels allows me to carry lighter gear and highly detailed big posters. :)

Jay: A good starter lens would be a Canon 400/5.6L or 100-400L IS and a Nikon 80-400 VR. I'd avoid Sigma all together.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela) by alabang, on Flickr

Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO Speed 320
Crop 2.5MP out of 16MP

Thanks Avanti

These are a bird in flight sequence of the Blue-headed Racket-tail parrot. Cropped to 100%. This is a lifer for me. :)

The Blue-headed Racket-tail, Prioniturus discurus is a parrot found on all the larger islands of the Philippines not starting with "P" (i.e., not Palawan or Panay). It is 27 cm, basically green with a blue crown, bluish undertail, whitish beak, and dark underwings with green coverts. The Blue-headed Racket-tail (P. platenae) was formerly included in this species.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-crowned_Racket-tail

Blue-headed Racket-tail, Prioniturus discurus by alabang, on Flickr

Exposure 1/2500 sec
Aperture f/7.1
ISO Speed 1600
Crop 100% Magnification

The second one is just breathtaking! Congrats!

Thanks ALXBWSCREW

I would have liked to be 1-2 meters more elevated but I was very happy with how close I was able to get. :)

Female Philippine Trogon (Harpactes ardens) by alabang, on Flickr

The Philippine Trogon (Harpactes ardens) is a species of bird in the Trogonidae family. It is endemic to the Philippines.

Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Trogon

Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture f/8.0
ISO Speed 800
Crop 7.4MP out of 16MP

Last edited:
Immature Red-keeled Flowerpecker or Red-striped Flowerpecker (Dicaeum australe)

Immature Red-keeled Flowerpecker or Red-striped Flowerpecker (Dicaeum australe) by alabang, on Flickr

The Red-keeled Flowerpecker or Red-striped Flowerpecker (Dicaeum australe) is a species of bird in the Dicaeidae family. It is endemic to the Philippines. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests. The Black-belted Flowerpecker (D. haematostictum) was formerly regarded as a subspecies of this bird.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-keeled_Flowerpecker

Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/8.0
ISO Speed 800
Crop 3.8MP out of 16MP
Subject Distance 680 centimers

Last edited:
This is Kida, a Brahminy Kite (Haliastur indus). She is being cared for at the Philippine Eagle Center, Davao City, Philippines. Find out how you can help her and other eagles at http://www.philippineeagle.org/

BTW Kida is not caged, tied down or hindered in any way. ;)

Kida by alabang, on Flickr

Exposure 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture f/11.0
ISO Speed 800
No Crop
Subject Distance 610 centimers

It is endemic to the Philippines, where it occurs in primary, mature secondary and disturbed forests on 11 islands: Luzon and Marinduque (race hydrocorax), Samar, Leyte, Bohol, Panaon, Biliran, Calicoan and Buad (race semigaleatus), Dinagat, Siargao, Mindanao (plus Balut, Bucas and Talicud) and Basilan (race mindanensis). It is still common locally, notably in the Sierra Madre of Luzon, but continues to suffer from substantial hunting pressure and widespread loss of habitat.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufous_Hornbill

This hornbill is a lifer for me. I spotted 2 pairs in flight.

Female Philippine Hornbill (Buceros hydrocorax) in Flight by dolina, on Flickr

Exposure 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture f/8.0
ISO Speed 1600
Crop 100% Magnification
Subject Distance Infinity

The Philippine Fairy-bluebird (Irena cyanogastra) is a species of bird in the Irenidae family. It is endemic to the Philippines.

Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Fairy-bluebird

This is a lifer for me. :)

Philippine Fairy-bluebird (Irena cyanogastra) by alabang, on Flickr

Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO Speed 800
Crop 1.7MP out of 16MP