Black Friday

Black Friday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah that is true but a lot of the big box retailers have lay away with 0% interest so they can get the items at the discounted rate and have them by x-mas for their kids.

...tricking them into buying more than they need, piling up debt (no interest maybe, but it still is debt) that will gnaw away at their food and rent and petrol money later.

If I get over my flu, I will be working from around 10/11PM thursday until 7AM friday.

I use it as a reason to go out and spend time with my friends. There's no real reason otherwise, seeing as I don't really buy anything and the deals aren't really deals when compared to the sales during the year.

...tricking them into buying more than they need, piling up debt (no interest maybe, but it still is debt) that will gnaw away at their food and rent and petrol money later.

Erm, the whole point of layaway is that you wont incur unneeded debt, because you're paying with cash in installments over time before you receive the product. The store holds it for you until you've payed in full, so many start a month or two in advance (ie, putting something on layaway now that they want for *insert winter holiday here* later)

Layaway used to be popular until around 03-04 when easy credit and impatience prevailed: Retailers started discontinuing layaway and putting the space reserved for the desk and storage to other uses. Wal-Mart, for example, uses their space for Site to Store pickup.

In recent years (IIRC around 08 or 09) layaway's made a comeback due to the shit economy.

Erm, the whole point of layaway is that you wont incur unneeded debt, because you're paying with cash in installments over time before you receive the product. The store holds it for you until you've payed in full, so many start a month or two in advance (ie, putting something on layaway now that they want for *insert winter holiday here* later)

Layaway used to be popular until around 03-04 when easy credit and impatience prevailed: Retailers started discontinuing layaway and putting the space reserved for the desk and storage to other uses. Wal-Mart, for example, uses their space for Site to Store pickup.

In recent years (IIRC around 08 or 09) layaway's made a comeback due to the shit economy.

However, layaway enables people to purchase many products they don't really need, or can really afford. narf's point stands.

If you really want/need it you save for it.

Exactly, I guess it locks in a lower price but nothing is stopping people from saving up the old fashioned way....

However, layaway enables people to purchase many products they don't really need, or can really afford. narf's point stands.

If you really want/need it you save for it.

Exactly, I guess it locks in a lower price but nothing is stopping people from saving up the old fashioned way....

Yeah but in this way you're not piling up debt that could be used for other more important things, also for a lot of people allocating a few bucks aside every paycheck to ensure that they'll get a item is a great comfort.

Yeah but in this way you're not piling up debt that could be used for other more important things, also for a lot of people allocating a few bucks aside every paycheck to ensure that they'll get a item is a great comfort.
Why would you need to give your money to a store to do that? Just set aside money on your own, no need for a store to get an interest free loan for the period of your layaway.

I usually avoid it like the plague however since I have to work Friday evening I might show up at Lowes on my way to work and see if they have anything that sparks my interest since I'll be going to one at a small town after noon, so it shouldn't be too busy.

I went to Lowe's last year and bought a table saw for $59 that I actually used tonight! It's a shitty table saw, but it's a table saw. It does the job until I can buy that $600 table saw I really want.

Best Buy has a Sharp 42" 1080p TV for $199 I think.

While I actually kinda see the fun of getting up early and braving the crowds (crowds don't bother me...dickheads and cunts who don't know how to act in public do) to get rippin' deals on a few limited items, I don't get the "other" part of Black Friday that's popped up over the last few years. No, you can't have a "Black Friday" sale on the Monday BEFORE Thanksgiving. It also shouldn't mean that you are offering 5% off $200 or more. Just have a fucking sale. Don't call it "black friday."

Last year, after I bought my table saw, I went across the parking lot to Target. They had guards at the door letting in only as many people as were leaving, to prevent dangerous overcrowding. As I stood in line for about 15-20 mintues to get into the store, I must have seen 100+ of their $199 32" Westinghouse LCD tv deals leave the store in carts Pretty amazing, actually.

Last edited:
Why would you need to give your money to a store to do that? Just set aside money on your own, no need for a store to get an interest free loan for the period of your layaway.

Oh I totally agree, it's nice that the options there for those who use it though *shrugs*

I've used layaway once, and for these reasons:
1) I didn't have ALL of the money right then, and it locked in the sale price.
2) When I picked it up after paying it off in full, they were otherwise sold out
3) I was buying it for someone else, and I literally had nowhere I could hide it in our shared 1-br apartment. I didn't have a car at the time, so I couldn't hid it in the trunk of the car.

I'm hoping I can get a new video card on either Black Friday or Cyber Monday. *fingers crossed*

That's pretty much the textbook definition of debt. An obligation to pay the debtor a sum of money :dunno:

In case of consumer electronics saving and getting a later price often saves more money, depending on the specific product and saving duration of course.

You can put aside a few bucks every paycheck without the store. You could even - omg - put it in a bank and get low interest on your money.

Last edited:
I don't partake. I don't even like the idea of christmas being about buying shit you don't want or need, instead, it should be about a big-ass dinner involving ham, mashed potatoes and assorted sides.

Not to mention lulz with one's family.

That being said I don't turn down gifts. hey, free shit.
That's pretty much the textbook definition of debt. An obligation to pay the debtor a sum of money :dunno:

He's referring to unneeded debt. Interest, for example, is an unneeded debt only put on because it's free money for the lender. It's not actually paying for anything. Layaway avoids that quite nicely.

In case of consumer electronics saving and getting a later price often saves more money, depending on the specific product and saving duration of course.

You can put aside a few bucks every paycheck without the store. You could even - omg - put it in a bank and get low interest on your money.

I'd rather not have the bank spend my money on a new S-class thank you very much. If I want my money going to Merc I'll send it there myself. Also, that interest is so pathetic it's not even worth mentioning, you might earn a couple of dollars if you put a C-note in at age 16 and withdraw it when you retire at 65. Some banks have it set so low you actually lose money, they'll charge you more in fees maintaining that account than you make in interest on the contents.

idunno, maybe in Germany the banks are respectable, but Stateside the banks are run by douchebags, pillocks and assholes. The only thing they can be trusted to do is think of ways to screw the public out of as much money as they can get away with, and are 50% of why the economy is in the shitters in the first fuckin' place. You can't blame someone for not wanting to use one.

Last edited:
He's referring to unneeded debt. Interest, for example, is an unneeded debt only put on because it's free money for the lender. It's not actually paying for anything. Layaway avoids that quite nicely.

He's basically lending the store money without collecting interest. In my book that's unneeded.

I'd rather not have the bank spend my money on a new S-class thank you very much. If I want my money going to Merc I'll send it there myself. Also, that interest is so pathetic it's not even worth mentioning, you might earn a couple of dollars if you put a C-note in at age 16 and withdraw it when you retire at 65. Some banks have it set so low you actually lose money, they'll charge you more in fees maintaining that account than you make in interest on the contents.

I can only speak for myself, my bank does not charge me fees for checking or savings accounts. They do charge for stock transactions and similar stuff of course.
FG top tip: Choose a bank that does not charge huge fees in return for little to no interest :dunno:

You can't blame someone for not wanting to use one.

I'm not asking people to do high-yield high-risk investments, I'm just offering the possibility of savings in return for interest. It's better than stuffing it under your mattress, or handing it for free to some entity you apparently trust more than a bank. Who's guaranteeing that the store won't go bust?

Also, http://xkcd.com/980/huge/#x=-960&y=-6316&z=6

I would vote if I knew what "bogative" meant. I mean bogative, that has no meaning.

I don't want you guys using words with no meaning. ;)

What the hell does "bogative" mean?

I won't go shopping on Black Friday. I had the misfortune to work in a food court in a mall on two Black Fridays in a row. That was enough for me.