Ownership Verified: Blind_Io and Kiki rescue a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

I could buy a 110v welder for the same money as a course and just start laying beads on scrap.
If I had workshop space (or a garden that wasn't overlooked) this is exactly what I would be doing. I almost bought a decent MIG welder a couple of years ago but it required a 240V 16A circuit and the house doesn't have that.

Our community college welding class is pretty sad according to an acquaintance who tried it, there was no instruction.

I could buy a 110v welder for the same money as a course and just start laying beads on scrap.

Dang, that's a shame. Tech colleges as well if you have one local, that's where I did my GTAW course.

Get a 240V machine if you can swing it, much more capable for 3/16" and up.

There are machines that can switch between 120 and 240, which I would consider. I don't have 240 right now in this garage, which would need to change and that would need an electrician.

Yeah a dual-voltage machine is a great idea if you plan to add a 240 circuit later. The Everlast Cyclone 200ES is pretty inexpensive and worth a look. Lots of cheaper units on Amazon and the like - I'm currently shopping the Cyber Monday deals for a small MIG to complement my big TIG unit.

(Installing your own 240V circuit isn't terribly difficult either, as long as you have access pull wire. I've done a few at my place under a homeowner's permit.)

Last edited:
Some boxes have arrived...

1669926139411.png

1669926155035.png

I really need to clean up the shop, the fall wind keeps blowing leaves in. Now we take inventory, get any tools we don't already own, and coordinate with our friend who offered his garage and experience to help with the installation.

The motorcycle wheels look out of place in a post about a Jeep.

I haven't gotten to doing the wheel swap for the forged wheels yet, but it's on the list of winter projects.

These crappy eBay Transformer-Fucked-a-Spider looking knock offs have to go. Good timing, since they apparently started leaking
PXL_20221231_221439538.jpg

Top quality electrical work by the GDPO. Those taped up pigtails were attached to a wire that was strung all around the engine bay and dash to a fuse tap running the DRL.
PXL_20221231_234628674.jpg

New KC LED lights installed.
PXL_20221231_232311282.jpg

PXL_20221231_235345121.jpg

Last edited:
Bless you for installing lights that are properly baffled and, I’m going to guess, aimed so they won’t dazzle oncoming drivers.

Bless you for installing lights that are properly baffled and, I’m going to guess, aimed so they won’t dazzle oncoming drivers.

Yep, they are DOT compliant and have better cutoff than the OEM sealed beams and the eBay junk. When we got the Jeep I mentioned to the owner that one headlight was aimed way too high and outside. He insisted that "you can't adjust the lights on these". We knew it was going to be a project chasing down all the garbage work he had done.

When adjusting the old lights, it was clear someone cranked down the adjustment screw, probably when putting in the knockoffs. I'd guess they thought it needed to be tightened all the way or confused it with a retaining run screw since they are right next to each other.

The GDPO was an idiot, but we are slowly getting it fixed.

Last edited:
They look great. One of the advantages is they aren't obviously LED, so it's less likely that someone would try to steal them. Pretty common on Defenders fitted with LED lights as most look like the old type you had. Let's be completely honest, they're not exactly difficult to remove.

Being IP68 I'd consider these for my Discovery, I've always considered the options for fitting round headlights to be pretty awful but maybe my opinions are changing...

They look great. One of the advantages is they aren't obviously LED, so it's less likely that someone would try to steal them. Pretty common on Defenders fitted with LED lights as most look like the old type you had. Let's be completely honest, they're not exactly difficult to remove.

Being IP68 I'd consider these for my Discovery, I've always considered the options for fitting round headlights to be pretty awful but maybe my opinions are changing...
Unless someone is running around with both a Phillips and a T-15 Torx, they aren't getting those out.

Unless someone is running around with both a Phillips and a T-15 Torx, they aren't getting those out.
LTTStore dot com screwdriver!

LTTStore dot com screwdriver!

My Snap-On screwdriver has those in the handle. Muhahahaha!

Although, I am not the type to take parts off of a vehicle.

The ones who are in the business of stealing nice parts absolutely carry the necessary tools. And they know what to look for. It's a problem around here.

If it was that big of a deal the car would be stored indoors and just not left alone or I would figure out some security hardware.

I've only had one part stolen off a car, and it was a rare vintage Volvo, they took the passenger turn signal/parking lens.

Last edited:
Well, we're planning on starting the installation on the new suspension this weekend. Much excite!

Currently, Banner is wearing a 4" Rubicon Express lift accessorized with a Tom Woods rear driveshaft and double cardan bling... at least we're pretty sure that's essentially what's under there 'cause rescues...

Everything else should be stock. It looks like we'll be removing things like the stock skid plate and cutting off frame brackets and such... if anyone here wants us to keep anything aside, just lemme know!

A friend who's on the hunt to add yet another brand to his build has already spoken for the rear sway bar and end links. Actually, if anyone is interested in a crazy camper build, here's said friend's first gen 🌮 aka Bodonkadonk's journey:

Loaded up to spend the weekend at a better-equipped shop. It's happening!

Nissan carrying many Jeep parts
PXL_20230210_205359959.jpg

Jeep carrying the tools, and a birthday gift for our friends' 1 year old shop-helper.
PXL_20230210_213401289.jpg

Hopefully the next post will be a mass hit of images detailing a long-arm kit installation.

Careful, the X is going to be jealous.