Ownership Verified: Blind_Io's Garage

If I don't see a dead animal in the back within the next couple months I will be disappointed (yes humans/zombies do count).

I know you don't want to disappoint a random jack ass on the Intertubes.

When I bought it, the owner said there might be a bit of blood in the back from a Pheasant he got the other day. Apparently the plastic bag leaked a bit. :lol:

I told him not to worry about it. The back is all hard plastic anyway and it wipes up.

Oh, and the X-Terra is definitely NOT a Soft-Roader! This one is the Off Road edition with upgraded springs, Blistin shocks, full skid plates, and a locking diff. A soft-roader is something like a Murano, or Escape with unibody construction, independent car-based suspension all around, AWD with no 4Lo, and lots of lightweight dangly bits to break off on rocks.

The X is a tough body-on-frame vehicle that is within 500 lb of the old FJ80 in terms of weight. That should tell you how beefy everything is under that fashionable bodywork.

Last edited:
My first car was an Xterra. You can crash the car into a wall at 40 and not bend the frame. :lol:

I agree that it has a bit of the look of a soft-roader, but cover it with mud and some hefty dents and I don't think anyone would argue :lol:

I've always liked the XTerra without really having particular reason to, and kudos for using an SUV the way it's meant to be used.

Oh, and the X-Terra is definitely NOT a Soft-Roader! This one is the Off Road edition with upgraded springs, Blistin shocks, full skid plates, and a locking diff. A soft-roader is something like a Murano, or Escape with unibody construction, independent car-based suspension all around, AWD with no 4Lo, and lots of lightweight dangly bits to break off on rocks.

The X is a tough body-on-frame vehicle that is within 500 lb of the old FJ80 in terms of weight. That should tell you how beefy everything is under that fashionable bodywork.

Locking diff and skid plates do = proper off roader, I'm sorry. :cry:

I suppose I just have a different view on what a soft-roader is, blame Land Rover. Does it have solid axles or it independent suspension? I know very little about these.

The front is independent, the rear is solid. Unfortunately the only solid front that is on the market today (that I know of in the US) is Jeep, and it's unreliable and powered by a minivan motor. Fortunately, there is a solid front axle conversion kit that is highly recommended.

That might happen at some point, but I want to see how it does with the IFS first.

"Softrider" Xterra's they are not. From day one they were built to punished severely and ask for more more more!

Very few are driven purposely though.
What is baffling is the brush guard; it looks like with the one equipped on your vehicle, my car would have a better approach angle. Oh! And that reminds me. Make sure to invest in a attitude/pitch gauge. Even in Wisconsin we used those.

Locking diff and skid plates do = proper off roader, I'm sorry. :cry:

I suppose I just have a different view on what a soft-roader is, blame Land Rover. Does it have solid axles or it independent suspension? I know very little about these.

Yes, blame Land Rover for claiming their softroader (Freelander) was a real offroader when everyone knows it isn't.

Nissan's one of the few companies that's very careful to delineate which one of their SUVs is to be used for what. For example, they specifically state that the Murano and Rogue are intended for urban/pavement use only and the marketing reflects this. The Pathfinder (current iteration) is offered as a more urbane offroader, more street oriented though still quite capable off road. The XTerra is the full-house offroader (descended from my WD21 Pathfinder) with little to no compromise made for on-road usage.

"Softrider" Xterra's they are not. From day one they were built to punished severely and ask for more more more!

Very few are driven purposely though.
What is baffling is the brush guard; it looks like with the one equipped on your vehicle, my car would have a better approach angle. Oh! And that reminds me. Make sure to invest in a attitude/pitch gauge. Even in Wisconsin we used those.

Nissan has a very nice clinometer that's actually a heads-up display unit. They can be special ordered through US dealers and are quite nice. Too expensive for me, though. There's also some of the NISMO clinometers offered from Nissan as well.

If you're looking for a lift for it, look long and hard at the Calmini products. They're among the best (historically) for Nissan lift kits.

Last edited:
i'm going to hijack this thread for a little bit, spectre: by any chance is your WD21 a red 2-door?

so you didn't came over here to preach on about Jaaaaaaaags (and murder me in my sleep)

Imagen0024.jpg

Last edited:
Nice truck... I've always liked the X-Terra. From what I've heard it's quite a capable vehicle

The front is independent, the rear is solid. Unfortunately the only solid front that is on the market today (that I know of in the US) is Jeep, and it's unreliable and powered by a minivan motor.

The current-gen Grand Cherokee (the closest Jeep to the XTerra) is also unfortunately independent-front. The 2004 was the last GC to have solids all-around, and it was a pretty solid vehicle overall, UAW or otherwise. I'd love an 04 with the 4.7HO.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride!

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/09/29/012.JPG

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/09/29/072.JPG

Kind of lost the light, and we were under a canopy of trees, but you get the idea:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/09/29/122.JPG

Happy Blind_Io is Happy.
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/09/29/126.JPG

Are you going to eat that?
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/09/29/009.JPG

Eating a tailgate dinner next to the stream in Big Cottonwood Canyon among the fall leaves. There was a photoshoot going on about 50 yards downstream.
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/09/29/008.JPG

We are under a Winter Storm Advisory until Thursday at noon, 6-12 inches of "Global Warming" is predicted in the mountains. I will probably return to the canyon tomorrow to play in the snow.

Last edited:
Just got them today, with bad weather on the horizon it needed to be done. The ones that were on it before were about .5mm away from totally bald.

You look much better when you smile. :) That?s a first, I think.

Thanks, you're cute too, cupcake.

I find I get better results by scowling and looking pissed off. Most people just want to get the big angry guy what he wants so he leaves.

So, I'm kind of like a Wookie that way.

Last edited:
Nice ride. What model/size tires are those?

:lol:
Can you blame them for fearing you?