Unverified Ownership Blue Sports Beetle

Der Stig

Panda Proselytizer
DONOR
Car(s)
Furrin Crap
I had a bad habit of setting Autotrader alerts for things and then this car popped up. 102k mile 2009 997.2 C2 6 speed. In New fuckin' Jersey. Rust zone, pot holes, idiots, etc. So I did the right thing, sold my nice Boxster and bought it last year. I've put about 10k miles on it since last June and probably about $10k dollars with more to come. Speakers are still blown and it desperately needs a paint correction. Nabster and I cannonballed this thing back to Dallas over 1600 miles in a weekend from NJ. Stupid, but worth it.

From the seller's ad (it was wearing undersized winter tires lol)
Screenshot 2022-05-30 11.12.11.png

After I got it home, I had my local dealer PPI it, replaced the one end link that was bad and promptly went on a roadtrip to New Mexico with Nabster and Crazyjeeper.

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

20220709_090324.jpg

NJ did a number on the suspension, so all four struts were done. Before pic from December. It was a faff and a half. Parts hunting and paying someone else to disassemble and reassemble the struts dragged on for a month or so.
IMG_4438.jpg

Parked next to my old coworker's GT350 in March. You can tell that Nabster's headlight polishing made quite the difference. Also added radiator grilles because I am not gonna let another rock take out a radiator or AC condenser.
IMG_5066.jpg

The unlock button fell off my key a week later lol. Fortunately, I have two keys and the shells are cheap to replace with eBay ones.

IMG_5092.jpg

Thanks for coming to my 997 talk. Seriously though, childhood dream. I still have to pinch myself every once in a while. I need to get it out for a track day or at least some autocrossing.

Thanks for coming to my 997 talk.

*subbed* :D

Congrats on the Porch! So now 2 blue Porsches, does this mean you're a blue guy, living in a blue world? AND ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT EVERYTHING HE SEES IS JUST BLUE.

Seriously though, childhood dream.

It's great when you're able to achieve such things, happy for you.

I wish all cars aged this well! This has been my favourite generation of 911 since it was released, the facelift with LED side and tail lights is what really keeps it looking fresh. Obviously, I've started looking at these on UK Auto Trader.

Are you allowed to swap out the orange markers for clear ones with orange bulbs or is that verboten in the US?

I wish all cars aged this well! This has been my favourite generation of 911 since it was released, the facelift with LED side and tail lights is what really keeps it looking fresh. Obviously, I've started looking at these on UK Auto Trader.

Are you allowed to swap out the orange markers for clear ones with orange bulbs or is that verboten in the US?

My experience, although I lived in a US state that had no annual inspection was that, since it's left the factory and been approved from the factory, anything goes after the fact provided you're not blinding people or using blue/red like a police/medical service type vehicle. When I had that Mercury wagon, I replaced the headlights with EU H4 bulbs and EU market light pattern because H4656's were in my opinion dangerous. I had also installed H1 high beams which Hella had stickers on the glass saying "for offroad use only, do not use on the road" which was promptly removed. :D

I never was caught, hassled, nothing. I did the same thing to my Sisters '01 Jeep Cherokee. So, maybe like many things in the US, it depends on where you live.

*subbed* :D

Congrats on the Porch! So now 2 blue Porsches, does this mean you're a blue guy, living in a blue world? AND ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT EVERYTHING HE SEES IS JUST BLUE.

It's great when you're able to achieve such things, happy for you.

Yeah, I’m blue man group. Also bought a blue boxer powered motorcycle lol
IMG_5405.jpeg

@Matt2000 No authority will notice if I swap them for clear, but to be honest, I can’t be arsed. Too busy driving it 😃

What a fantastic color. Not gonna lie; I was looking at 997s briefly before I got my Mini. I hope you have many happy miles; I’m supremely jealous!

This is good parsh.

Forgot to update from last summer.

The stock exhaust box on the passenger side had a hole in it and the exhaust tip was fused to the pipe (I also broke the head off the nut 👌). Searching ebay and PCA classifieds for stock exhausts kept yielding options that were either too expensive or too far away.

But then I got lucky. Found a guy only 4 hours away selling his really nice FVD mufflers (like $2k new 😵‍💫) for $500. Snatched them up and got them on.

Before:

1710356527095.jpeg

During

1710356567685.jpeg

Breaking all the old hardware
1710356798240.jpeg

1710356828236.jpeg

I stopped asking for the old muffler to give me the bracket.
1710356863153.jpeg

“Adjusting” fitment of the new ones.
1710356921121.jpeg

And results. Not much louder, but throatier. And the mufflers look much better.