Blur - Supposedly the COD4 of Racers

LeMans GTR

GAMESPOT

In the wake of its better-than-expected quarterly results, Activision gave investors a heads-up today on its plans for next month's Electronic Entertainment Expo in an analyst conference call. Perhaps bolstered by its strong bottom line, the publisher touted the E3 debut of its upcoming racing game Blur.
Developed by Bizarre Creations (the studio behind the Project Gotham Racing series), Blur is poised "to do for racing what Call of Duty did for shooters," said Activision Publishing president Mike Griffith during the call. He added, "That was the goal when we acquired Bizarre Creations to make this game."
Reportedly described by an Activision executive as "Mario Kart meets Forza," Blur was touted by Griffith during the call as bringing "real innovation to the racing category, and it's looking very strong. You will all get a chance to see this game at E3, but suffice it to say we are excited to be entering this genre with this game."
Activision acquired Bizarre Creations in September of 2007 for an undisclosed sum. Although the purchase seemed like a major deal at the time, it was put into perspective later that year when Activision merged with Vivendi Games in a deal worth $18.9 billion.
For all of the latest from E3 2009, check back June 1-4 for GameSpot's complete coverage of E3 2009.

oqc5g5.jpg

Sorry, that's all I could find in the way of pictures. Ideas, speculation?

When Need for Speed meets Facebook?

Oh dear. I think I have my opinion made up already.

It has been confirmed that the cars will have weapons and other stuff to shoot at their opponents (similar to mario kart or wipeout).

OMG... No... Please no.... :cry:

What's up with that? Were you never a Twisted Metal fan?

Blur is poised "to do for racing what Call of Duty did for shooters,"

What, being another fairly generic incarnation of the genre that's been hyped way out of proportion by everyone and their mother? :p

What's up with that? Were you never a Twisted Metal fan?

Nope, never was. But even if I was I'm not very pleased with the idea of a Ferrari 430 shooting some missiles to a Ford GT.

Proper racing is exciting enough on its own, it doesn't need missiles and miniguns.. I can see the point of an action racer, like PGR. That was a good series, offering up points for driving exuberance and style. This game really goes beyond the point. Get frustrated with your opponents? Blow them into bits..

That concept simply isn't an appealing one to me.

Need for speed meets facebook...hmmmm

Need for Speed: Proudly, obscenely unrealistic racing game designed for 10-15 year olds that actually have no idea how cars really drive.

Facebook: Outlet for guys to meticulously study pictures of girls, and for girls to post thousands of pictures to be seen by said guys.

A hybrid of these....must be truly spectacular.

Cars with guns, it's good fun; we've all played it in Burnout or Midnight club, but I'm just not sure if it's enough to warrant an entire game.

But even if I was I'm not very pleased with the idea of a Ferrari 430 shooting some missiles to a Ford GT.

I'm sorry, but the mental image looks so cool in my head, then again I'm only 13 so I'm really not allowed to talk am I.

Blur?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAHZURxRjY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKCoBt43HWE[/YOUTUBE]

Oh wait, that's not it...

Erm... no thanks. I'll stick with the epicness of Burnout and Trackmania whenever I need my completely unrealistic blisteringly fast arcade racing fix.

Sounds like a game version of Death Race, if properly done it should be pretty fun.

It could be something really good, but their comparison with NFS, Facebook and Mario Kart doesn't help their case.

Any of you remember a game that came out about 10 years ago, called Breakneck:N.I.C.E. 2 ? It was great fun!

I think Flatout 3 was fun!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0uUBLWNxcU[/YOUTUBE]

"When Need For Speed Meets Facebook" is quite possibly the worst tagline I've ever heard to anything... ever.

Microsoft needed to buy out Bizzare and not let Activision touch them. PGR was an amazing series as it blended realism and arcadey in the same awesome game.

This just sounds dumb...I'm sorry but Full Auto sucked and I think this will be too.

"When Need For Speed Meets Facebook" is quite possibly the worst tagline I've ever heard to anything... ever.

I still don't understand what they mean by that, or 'the COD4 of racers'. I can only assume they mean it's heavily multiplayer based, which is bad because COD4 is full of screaming kids...

Press release:

The game drops players into heart-pumping, electrified racing action with 20 cars on a track all targeting the finish line and battling each other as they trade paint and collect intense power-ups, including the ability to blast other cars out of the way with huge bursts of energy, boost their speed, and more.

While controlling photo realistic cars, gamers can use offensive and defensive attacks as they battle for the lead and careen through real-world track locations ranging from L.A. and San Francisco to the streets of Hackney, UK and the treacherous roads of Barcelona, Spain.

?We did our homework and saw a huge opportunity to move beyond traditional racers and create a game completely focused on making racing ?fun? again,? said Martyn Chudley, creative director, Bizarre Creations. ?Blur delivers a new style of racing experience for all gamers, regardless of their experience, skill or genre preferences. Everything the player does, both in their cars and with their cars, is a dramatic adrenaline rush; it?s a real blast!?

?We know that racing can be fun for everyone, and we are excited to enter this genre with a game that keeps players in the pack and combines fun with intense racing battles,? said Maria Stipp, EVP and GM of Owned Properties, Activision Publishing. ?Bizarre Creations is one of the most creative studios in the industry with a rich heritage of top-rated racing games and we are excited to partner with them on Blur, which is set to break the mold of traditional racing games.?

Beyond the action-packed racing filled with fast curves, sneaky alternate routes, hair-raising jumps and fully realised damage models that provide for spectacular crashes, Blur?s narrative is presented through Bizarre?s innovative new community-based interface, reaching far beyond the game itself. This unique story-driving social network evolves dynamically as players compete in different races, make new friends, rivals and fans, and connect with other racers both in-game and in real life.

Looking beyond Blur?s single player story, gamers can engage in competitive and team-based multiplayer races with up to 20 players online, or on a single console via 4-player split-screen. Bizarre is especially excited to introduce Blur?s original social gaming experience ? custom groups, where anyone can create unique multiplayer modes based on their favourite ways to play the game. These new modes are immediately shared through Blur?s social network, expanding the game in ways that are only limited by the gaming community?s creativity.

Blur is planned for release this autumn for the Xbox 360? video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION?3 computer entertainment system, and the PC, and is yet to be rated by the BBFC and PEGI.

And some pics:

cd2d5b9f36.jpg

8ae68a138c.jpg

6c85832db1.jpg

890c9243d6.jpg

3ac595ce98.jpg

Such a good franchise wasted... :(

Rumour has it PGR is being made by Forza, so the rumour could still survive. But, following Forza 2 PGR will be a lost franchise...well graphically at least.