Ownership Verified: BMW 220 M Sport w/M135 exhaust, CF parts

Icy J

Car(s)
BMW F22 220i
I've been taking photos of others' cars for several years now and finally have my own :D AW/CR 220 M Sport. Had a hard time choosing between this colour combination and EBII/black interior, but eventually chose white since I have plans to eventually wrap it in blue :)

Had the car for almost a month now and I love it a lot more than the E93 323i I was driving previously - the F22 handles a lot better and initial acceleration is much better. The I6 sound is sometimes missed though...

Bone stock

BMWs by - Icy J -, on Flickr

Met up with a few friends to chat and take photos a few days after getting the car. Felt a bit bad as I arrived last and blocked their cars in the photo with my completely stock one...

First mod was to get the M Performance grilles installed, which I bought a few days before getting the car. Pain in the ass to remove the first one but definitely worth it!
15165541052_67c286910e_c.jpg

Met up with a friend to take some photos a couple of days ago; the weather was terrible. :confused2

New Car by - Icy J -, on Flickr

I'd already been planning to get some sort of lip, spoiler and diffuser but was undecided as to which one. My main objection to the M Performance parts was that I was afraid they'd be too common - go to any F3X meet and you'll see the M Performance lip everywhere. A friend of mine came to the rescue, as he had developed a carbon fibre kit for the M235i and wanted a white car to install them on - and so I ended up with the full Exotics Tuning kit on my car, which included a front lip, canards (C63 black series style lol), mirror caps, a spoiler and a diffuser (I don't think it's been officially released yet though...).

The main issue with the diffuser was that the 220's exhaust placement is different to that of the M235. In order to fit the diffuser I bought a used M135 muffler, had it installed and the tips adapted (they were way too short). Might have just been a placebo thing but the car really felt faster and louder afterwards, plus I get a nice crackle every time I upshift at high RPM's.

LAxg1Cql.jpg

M135 exhaust.

lDrgTppl.jpg

Installing!

Today I finally decided it was time to take some photos. Unfortunately I'm still on the stock 17" 460M rims, which imo really ruins the aggressive look of the carbon fibre kit. I do have rims ordered but I might not be able to install them until Christmas :cry: and I'm not in a position to buy 'temporary' rims.

BMW 220i | Exotics Tuning M235i Kit by - Icy J -, on Flickr

BMW 220i | Exotics Tuning M235i Carbon Fiber kit by - Icy J -, on Flickr

full moon lols

BMW 220i | Exotics Tuning M235i Carbon Fiber kit by - Icy J -, on Flickr

yJvJ7LZl.jpg

Looks wise it'll probably remain this way until Christmas at least (or I may get the M235 style lower grille). Planning to eventually get a proper exhaust (or do a resonator delete), change rims, (maybe) drop, nicer exhaust tips, etc etc - but apart from the rims, loving it as is

Last edited:
Arrgh! I'm still waiting on mine! ETA is now beginning of December. How long did you have to wait, or were you lucky enough to find one you liked on the lot?

Major congrats. This car is one of the best I have ever driven. More people need to try it.

More interior pictures needed. Looks much more promising than the colorless exterior. :p

Arrgh! I'm still waiting on mine! ETA is now beginning of December. How long did you have to wait, or were you lucky enough to find one you liked on the lot?

Major congrats. This car is one of the best I have ever driven. More people need to try it.

Had to wait about 2 weeks as the HK dealer had a few coming in. I was only considering AW/CR or EB II/black, which made it much easier lol. AW/CR won out because of the red interior + EBII isn't exactly my favourite shade of blue ever. Also HK cars tend to have quite a few things as standard that are options in the US (power seats, leather seats, etc) so didn't really see the need to custom order one just for the options. Which model did you order?

More interior pictures needed. Looks much more promising than the colorless exterior. :p

Will take a few. The only colour options are red and blue; personally don't like red on anything other than an exotic, and the shade of blue offered isn't my favourite. I plan to wrap it in something similar to the blue offered on the F80 M3 in the future anyway :D

Last edited:
Damn the carpets need cleaning...

8ea6MAA.jpg

M Performance alcantara/CF trim will come when I screw up the current one :D

Last edited:
I am glad to see the 2-series spread here :). I would get one myself if it was financially reasonable compared to the 1-series, but its not.

I am glad to see the 2-series spread here :). I would get one myself if it was financially reasonable compared to the 1-series, but its not.

Is the 2 not similarly priced to the 1?

Nope. On average 3-4k EUR more than the equivalent 1-series. I.e. 120d (3-door) vs. 220d is 28650 vs. 32500 with basically identical stock options. A 5-door is 750 more, still >3k which equals a lot of options you can get instead in the 1. And the 5-door is also even more usable than the 3-door, that beats the 2-series already on that department. And the driving experience is too similar to justify spending that much extra just on the looks. At least in my book, as of right now. Don't hold that against me if I end up with a 2-series anyway at some point ;).

Last edited:
Nope. On average 3-4k EUR more than the equivalent 1-series. I.e. 120d (3-door) vs. 220d is 28650 vs. 32500 with basically identical stock options. A 5-door is 750 more, still >3k which equals a lot of options you can get instead in the 1. And the 5-door is also even more usable than the 3-door, that beats the 2-series already on that department. And the driving experience is too similar to justify spending that much extra just on the looks. At least in my book, as of right now. Don't hold that against me if I end up with a 2-series anyway at some point ;).

Lol, the only comparison that I can make for HK prices is the M135 v M235...otherwise, they only offer the 118, 125 and 220...

the M135 is priced at HK$579k while the M235 is HK$649k ($70k difference, about 7k euros)...but tbh, if you're even considering a coupe, practicality shouldn't be that big of an issue for you :p

Lovely F22. Normally not a fan of white cars, but the combination with the tasteful black/CF accents really does work. I'd remove the canards (they look a bit silly imho), and then it'd be perfect. Save for a set of Vorsteiner V-FF 101 alloys.

Lovely F22. Normally not a fan of white cars, but the combination with the tasteful black/CF accents really does work. I'd remove the canards (they look a bit silly imho), and then it'd be perfect. Save for a set of Vorsteiner V-FF 101 alloys.

Thanks :D that style of rim is really overdone these days imo (BBS FI, HRE P101, ADV 5.0 etc), have something slightly crazier in mind...

Last edited:
Thanks :D that style of rim is really overdone these days imo (BBS FI, HRE P101, ADV 5.0 etc), have something slightly crazier in mind...

That's kind of true, but they do look good on a lot of cars. Another good looking set of wheels for the F20/F22 is the AC Schnitzer Type VIII (but not a fan of the bi-color examples). Wonder what you have in store for your car :)

As you may like it, I figured I'd post it despite posting other cars in PYC-threads is kinda silly. A friends M235i with some delicious dark BBS wheels with a polished lip:

10630695_770580436313938_3477398343751066564_o.jpg

1501159_770580672980581_4356827465737735817_o.jpg

10648474_770580962980552_6952649235005374349_o.jpg

I think I know that guy from 2ertalk.de ;-) Too low, IMHO, but then I have a bad back ;-)

But back on topic: Congrats and 2 Series FTW!!!
Those Carbon bits seem really well made. Great contrast with the white car.
On my black one, the effect would be lost, I reckon.

Yeah he's on there too, but more on 1erforum.de which is where I know him from. He's living next to the ring basically, friend and I used him as tire-depot on our last trip :D.

As you may like it, I figured I'd post it despite posting other cars in PYC-threads is kinda silly. A friends M235i with some delicious dark BBS wheels with a polished lip:

Nice and clean...I hate my foglights...

I think I know that guy from 2ertalk.de ;-) Too low, IMHO, but then I have a bad back ;-)

But back on topic: Congrats and 2 Series FTW!!!
Those Carbon bits seem really well made. Great contrast with the white car.
On my black one, the effect would be lost, I reckon.

I'll be installing a set of 19' rims at Christmas...not planning to lower it unless it looks really strange, I need the extra clearance...

Yep it looks a lot better on white - seen the same kit installed on a black M235 and it doesn't look as nice

little update: m performance pedals (replica)

qGW0mK3l.jpg

Just installed a set of KW V1 on my 220. Ride is slightly harsher on rougher roads but similar to stock on smoother ones. Cornering feels a lot better, although I don't have much driving experience so can't really be too specific about how so - it just feels a lot more stable. The drop isn't bad either :D

Shoutout to ReinArt Design HK for helping me order & install - check out their page, some very cool projects going on there!

s9tHp2ql.jpg

ooOHWd9l.jpg

^ Hong Kong's first RWB lurking in the background ;)

iBOPgRZl.jpg