Spied: BMW 3 Series GT spied

Visibility, mostly. Plus an increased feeling of security, distancing yourself from other moving objects (including the ground). What other explanation is there for the success of the crossover? The only thing they have over a standard station wagon is the driving position.

That's a flawed way of thinking and a definite vicious circle - okay you buy an SUV and you are sitting higher than everyone else, but soon everyone else buys higher cars/SUV's and you are back where you started.

That's a flawed way of thinking and a definite vicious circle - okay you buy an SUV and you are sitting higher than everyone else, but soon everyone else buys higher cars/SUV's and you are back where you started.

I agree completely and you'll notice my choice of car.

It's the basic reason why SUVs took off in the 90s.

I agree that the 5GT looks ugly, but this just looks like a slightly more liftback-y 3er, and not a bad shape at all. They probably had an engineer crank out the design in an afternoon, too, given how incredible similar it looks to a normal 3. And hey, if the shape cuts through the air a little better and gets better fuel economy for it, I see no problem with it.

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo....
The roofline looks like an Audi A6 :puke:

I see a shittonne of GT5's on the streets so I'm inclined to disagree. Here 5-series sales are up 156% for the first two months.

That purchase pattern follows pretty much every new/refreshed car once its available.

This whole "GT" idea is pretty terrible. The cars are hideous. Make them a saloon or a wagon; don't try to fill a nonexistent void between car/softroader/crossover/SUV. I sincerely doubt there's a market for it - I've seen all of TWO of those shit-ugly Accord Crosstours since they were realeased over a year ago (for good reason):

Honda-Accord-CrossTour-10000.jpg

...and only 3 Panamera's (albeit in Richmond; expensive + ugly seems to appeal to the Hong Kong crowd. Congrats to Auto West BMW for the highest X6 sales figures there, by the way).

I've seen lots of Accord Crosstours around here?
And even more Venzas. (Which is the best-looking toyota on sale right now IMO)
Grey-2011-Toyota-Venza-Pic.jpg

Also I don't get how anyone could lump the Panamera into this GT trend?

Rumormill: BMW 3 Series GT could actually be new 4 Series

We've heard a few times that BMW is working on a 3 Series Gran Turismo, but a rumor floated at Germany's Auto Motor und Sport claims the GT may instead be an all-new 4 Series. If true, BMW Blog says that a 4 Series could be offered as a four-door coupe that would help BMW compete with offerings like the A5 Sportback. The move would also enable BMW to offer a more stylish vehicle that slots well below the 6 Series in price while still demanding a premium over the 3 Series. And keep in mind that BMW has already green-lit the 6 Series Gran Coupe, which will feature two-door styling and four physical doors when it arrives in 2012.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/27/rumormill-bmw-3-series-gt-could-actually-be-new-4-series/

How could this be differentiated from the 5 series?

I remember back when Audi used mostly even numbers and BMW used odd numbers when it came to naming cars. That was simpler

It'll be smaller and cheaper than a 5-series and bigger and more expensive than a 3-series? :p

Let's hope this sells as well as the X6, i.e., not at all.

I've seen lots of Accord Crosstours around here?

That must be the only place they're selling, because they don't seem to be selling well at all in the US.

Man...people are going to spend all week at the BMW dealership trying to pick between the insanely extensive range list, and then the individual models within each range.

In fact, have a look:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/allbmws/default.aspx

Is this a record? Can any other make top this?

edit: this is just the NA market