BMW 328 convertible or 128 convertible

Having owned a soft-top convertible for nearly 5 years, I can safely say I will never own another ragtop that is actually a ragtop. The car is louder with the top up. the top will wear and fade. I kinda describe the experience to someone as it is like camping in a tent.

That being the case, you are looking at either the 128i or 328i, meaning "balls to the walls" performance isn't your first priority. Because of this, and because of the top in the 328i, I would go for the 328i. However, there are some people on Bimmerfest that have complained that the hard top doesn't align properly and makes god-awful wind noise at motorway speeds. Definitely a highway test drive before deciding.

The 3 will also have a slightly larger backseat. Also, the two cars look quite different from each other. The 3 looks good top down, but top up leaves a bit to be desired. The 1 is much more designed, but takes a like it or hate it look.

I say screw the soft top and buy a 330i with a sunroof. If you heart is set on a coupe with no practicality, just get the Z. It may not have the back seats, but it's probably cheaper than the 128i and has more power.

If they really want a four seat convertible there is only one option. It isn't sporty, it won't be loaded with gadgets, but there is nothing else even remotely as beautiful in the four seat convertible niche. And if it is good enough for JFK to have been shot in, it is good enough for them to cruise around town in.

Early 60s Lincoln Continental
61_lincoln_convertible.jpg
Best post. And he can get a nice clean one for 50 grand. The 462 has a lot more torque, too. :cool:

Last edited:
It is beyond my understanding why any one would pay $38,000 for the 1-series.

The 1-series P.O.S. should not even be considered. 3-series is your obvious choice.

It is beyond my understanding why any one would pay $38,000 for the 1-series.

The 1-series P.O.S. should not even be considered. 3-series is your obvious choice.

335i convertible, base price: $49,100
135i convertible, base price: $39,100
Difference: $10,000

Let's assume for a minute, you don't need a backseat (both cars are not good with rear seat room).

If you are indifferent towards the looks, then why would you pay $10,000 more for a car that is a little bit bigger, a little bit heavier, and doesn't have the "sporty" features of the electronic differential and the 6 piston brakes?

335i coupe, base price: $40,800
135i coupe, base price: $34,900
Difference: $5900

Package Breakdown Prices:
Premium, 335i: $2550
Premium, 135i: $3300
Difference: $750 (1-Series Lacks Power Seats Standard, so the difference in cost covers the seats)

Sport, 335i: $1100
Sport, 135i: $1000
Difference: $100 (No noticeable difference in options per series)

Cold Weather, 335i: $750
Cold Weather, 135i: $600
Difference: $150 (Headlight washers are standard on 1, not 3, so explains about 100 bucks of that difference)

Again, assuming you aren't drawn to the 3-Series, and want a fun, sporty car, why would you not get the 135i with the factory M-Sport kit as standard instead of the larger, slightly heavier, not as "performance oriented" 3 series?

All data taken from BMWUSA.com

I dunno really
The 1 series is a definite no-no for me (too small inside, too expensive, not that nice to look at)

the 3 series is better but I wouldn't go for the convertible one. Also, rear legspace is very very limited for a car of this size. I've got more space in my Astra for Chrissakes

Having owned a soft-top convertible for nearly 5 years, I can safely say I will never own another ragtop that is actually a ragtop. The car is louder with the top up. the top will wear and fade. I kinda describe the experience to someone as it is like camping in a tent.

What did you drive? I've had my SAAB Convertible for 3 years and I find it way quieter than the coupe version I had before. It's to do with the 6 layer lining which deadens the sound. Granted the top will fade but most are designed to last at least 10 years.

And on the to debate, ingore both BMW's and go for the Audi!

What did you drive? I've had my SAAB Convertible for 3 years and I find it way quieter than the coupe version I had before. It's to do with the 6 layer lining which deadens the sound. Granted the top will fade but most are designed to last at least 10 years.

And on the to debate, ingore both BMW's and go for the Audi!

I have an S2000. Insulation is quite lacking and the tire noise is made worse when the top is up. Fantastic with the top down, not so brilliant with the top up. I've ridden in one with the hardtop on (optional extra) and it is WAY quieter.

ok he still can't decide but he is still trying to decide between this SC430 and ordering a new 328i from the factory

ok he still can't decide but he is still trying to decide between this SC430 and ordering a new 328i from the factory

If he values driving at all, and once to at least have a little bit of fun, DO NOT get the SC430.

Just talked to him today and he is leaning toward the SC430. When he first drove the SC430 he was feeling a little scared about the power, it didn't really show much. He just went and drove another one today and he felt that the 300hp really shown through. He thinks that he didn't just push the first one hard enough.

He is now looking for the right combination between price, mileage, and color

Just talked to him today and he is leaning toward the SC430. When he first drove the SC430 he was feeling a little scared about the power, it didn't really show much. He just went and drove another one today and he felt that the 300hp really shown through. He thinks that he didn't just push the first one hard enough.

He is now looking for the right combination between price, mileage, and color

Did he drive it with his eyes open?? To me it looks horrible, not pleasant to look at all. Still I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... :blink:

I think the SC430 looks great with the right rims. And as far as driving pleasure, a convertible is for cruising so I am sure the Lexus is more than good enough.

I would definitely chose it over the BMW.
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/03/397_2006_11_04_03_14_38_lexus_sc_430_2006_02_b.jpg

^
Well I guess if everybody liked the same thing and looks car design would become a bit stale.

I think the SC430 looks great with the right rims. And as far as driving pleasure, a convertible is for cruising so I am sure the Lexus is more than good enough.

I would definitely chose it over the BMW.
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/03/397_2006_11_04_03_14_38_lexus_sc_430_2006_02_b.jpg

really? Too me the lexus looks really fuddy duddy

Dad finally made his choice. Yesterday he when and bought a white 2005 SC430 with 21000 miles on it. He is very very happy. He feels that for him as a 63 year it fits just right, and man is it smooth.