BMW 335i

My problem with tuning them is that their are many better basis for tuning then the BMWs, I would be all for shelling out the extra money if the 3 series was at all majical, like a 50K car should be, but it just isn't, and because of that i would never buy a E92/1 and especially not a 1 series

Keep in mind i will admit i love the 5,6, and 7 series, but thats because they actually are as special as they should be, the rear seats in a fully speced 7 series especially, it feels better then sitting in a 1st class jetliner

My problem with tuning them is that their are many better basis for tuning then the BMWs, I would be all for shelling out the extra money if the 3 series was at all majical, like a 50K car should be, but it just isn't, and because of that i would never buy a E92/1 and especially not a 1 series

Keep in mind i will admit i love the 5,6, and 7 series, but thats because they actually are as special as they should be, the rear seats in a fully speced 7 series especially, it feels better then sitting in a 1st class jetliner

but it's not like it needs to be really modded, it's already a quick car.

but it's not like it needs to be really modded, it's already a quick car.

yeah.. but its so tempting just to squeeze more power from those turbos. Same concept goes with overclocking your cpu.

its all about paying minimal money for maximum performance.

Test drove one. I was actually pretty impressed. I enjoyed driving it better than the E46 M3's I've driven. Nice torque, excellent steering. I liked it. :)

yeah.. but its so tempting just to squeeze more power from those turbos. Same concept goes with overclocking your cpu.

its all about paying minimal money for maximum performance.

You got that wrong, tuning is about paying ridiculous amounts of money for tiny performance improvements.

You got that wrong, tuning is about paying ridiculous amounts of money for tiny performance improvements.

and how is a new ECU chip gonna be ridiculously expensive???

apart from shredding your precious tyres and burning up the petrol in the tank.. i cant think of any reason NOT to chip the 335.

so its about an extra thousand dollars and you will get a car with more torque and more hp with a nice curve graph, i dont see the draw backs.

Then you mind sharing why the modding business is so good then?

I can tell you a very good reason, warranty.

And how would that ruin the warranty??

Clearly it shows that you havnt done much tuning in the past, most of the ECU nowadays can be reverted back to factory setting in just under 10min, which is why chipping a turbo car nowadays is extremely popular.

Audi even tried to sell me a facotry chipped A3 2.0T once, with full warranty and motorplan.

sorry.. not a good reason at all.. i still dont see it.

What does the SUPERCHIPS warranty offer?

In the extremely unlikely event of a Superchip being responsible for causing damage to your vehicle, Superchips will, under the terms and conditions of our warranty, repair your vehicle.

We arrange for an independent assessor to evaluate the problem and to arrange for the repair of your vehicle quickly and professionally.

The warranty is not intended to replace the existing warranty provided by the manufacturer, but will supplement it to cover the parts deemed to be excluded by the manufacturer. Full terms and conditions are available upon request.

Free your engine from restrictive limits and find out what Superchips can do for you and your car....

I sorta like it... With the M3 going upmarket I was glad to see the 335 come around.

However, stick that same engine in the 135i (a much smaller & lighter car with 6 piston calipers) and, mmmmm, now you're talking.

i ordered a 335xi coupe and should be getting it in a few weeks (3 to be exact). i ordered it back in march and im finally going to be getting it. it's sitting at the Bremerhaven port in Germany right now waiting for a ship :) :) :)

i ordered a 335xi coupe and should be getting it in a few weeks (3 to be exact). i ordered it back in march and im finally going to be getting it. it's sitting at the Bremerhaven port in Germany right now waiting for a ship :) :) :)

congrats mate, you have finally seen the light : )

good choice on the car, specs and colour?

and perhaps picture once ur car arrives.

I'd never spend a dime on one... would you believe me if I told you guys that where I live 335i coupes are as common as I see about 10-15 per day?

many dealers can tell if an ECU has been switched back to "stock". hell, my very unsophisticated diesel pick up truck has these modifications available and the dealers can tell if you have "chipped" and "unchipped" the truck. If my lowly Dodge dealer can do it I imagine a BMW dealer should have no problem. This is why my 545i will stay un touched.

many dealers can tell if an ECU has been switched back to "stock". hell, my very unsophisticated diesel pick up truck has these modifications available and the dealers can tell if you have "chipped" and "unchipped" the truck. If my lowly Dodge dealer can do it I imagine a BMW dealer should have no problem. This is why my 545i will stay un touched.

then all BMW & Audi dealership in south africa & Germany must be retarded or something, because almost everyone who buys an Audi 2.0T ends up chipping their car. Same goes with the 335i. Maybe they can find out about the chip being changed, but seriously.. when you taking your car in for a service, who the hell is gonna check your ECU chip?? normally they dont even service your car properly, not to mention checking your ECU.

Oh yeah, same with the Ford Focus ST, forgot to mention that. Ive seen too many chipped ST on the road to know its safe to do that without ruining the warranty. When i drove the demo model ST from the Ford showroom floor, the sales didnt even know the car was chipped, i had to point out to him that the rev limiter was raised. And he showed very little interest, all he wants to do is just sell the car, with the full warranty and motorplan option ofcourse.

Same story with the Honda S2000 that i drove back in 2006, it had a K&N Air filter and intake and exhaust system, and yet honda still offered full warrany service and motorplan.

Sure, most dealers probably don't care and won't check your ECU when you go to get an oil change. But what if something goes wrong with your car or the engine? Then they'll check things out and might tell you your warranty has been void because you have messed with the ECU.

It probably won't be an issue but you sure won't see me with a chipped car while it still has factory warranty.

congrats mate, you have finally seen the light : )

good choice on the car, specs and colour?

and perhaps picture once ur car arrives.

White with Tan Leather Interior
Auto
Sport Package
Paddles
Cold Weather
Premium Package
Navigation
HD Radio
IPod

dont get me wrong.. i still would prefer a CLK550.. but funding and fact that i wanted AWD did not allow that to happen.. so had to settle for less expensive 3er

i love bmw.. i just happen to love mb more.. ill drive this car with pride still :)

a) White cars are totally badass and cool... way to not get a black Bimmer like everyone else.
b) Can't believe paddles are an option on BMWs.

White with Tan Leather Interior
Auto
Sport Package
Paddles
Cold Weather
Premium Package
Navigation
HD Radio
IPod

dont get me wrong.. i still would prefer a CLK550.. but funding and fact that i wanted AWD did not allow that to happen.. so had to settle for less expensive 3er

i love bmw.. i just happen to love mb more.. ill drive this car with pride still :)

Sure, most dealers probably don't care and won't check your ECU when you go to get an oil change. But what if something goes wrong with your car or the engine? Then they'll check things out and might tell you your warranty has been void because you have messed with the ECU.

It probably won't be an issue but you sure won't see me with a chipped car while it still has factory warranty.

Hm... im not so sure as my mate's Focus ST's engine was acting funny after being on the dyno for several runs with the ECU & Exhaust modified. Ford took it in for repair and said nothing about the warranty, it was covered by the motorplan so my mate didnt pay a single cent.

But i guess you are right, similar story goes for my beloved Subaru, i was forced to buy the performance exhaust from Subaru SA at a ridiculous price, beacuse the sales said that the warranty will be void if i install any aftermarket exhaust... i paid over R2500 bucks for an exhaust that probably costed less than R1000 if it wasnt for the Subaru logo on the back :( :(

Maybe they were more lenient because that sort of stuff is expected on a Focus ST?

I realize the risks are very low, but you know, if you're uptight like me then you probably don't wanna run the risk. I sometimes go to the Lexus forums and there's been a few instances where people have been hassled for their mods. Most of them take it to Lexus corporate and argue their way through eventually...