BMW 5-Series "Gran Turismo". What was the question again?

Kowalski

Pardon my ignorance, but what the fuck is it? And why the fuck is called the "Gran Turismo", if it isn't a four-seater coup??

I've seen three of those today. It's like shit on wheels.

It's simple. You're looking for a BMW but find the regular 5-series too functional, good to drive and too handsome, but then you're afraid of the added practicality of X6's higher ground clearance and standard all-wheel drive. But you love the ugly looks and idea of having only four seats in a huge heavy car. 5GT is a perfect combination of the worst parts of 5-series and X6. Brilliant!

It's simple. You're looking for a BMW but find the regular 5-series too functional, good to drive and too handsome, but then you're afraid of the added practicality of X6's higher ground clearance and standard all-wheel drive. But you love the ugly looks and idea of having only four seats in a huge heavy car. 5GT is a perfect combination of the worst parts of 5-series and X6. Brilliant!

:rofl: +1 to you sir.

I've seen a couple in metal before, and it's fucking disgusting.

Real embarrassing stuff.

:nod: Less space in the boot than the 5er Touring, 150kg more weight than the 5er Touring, 3000? more moniez than the 5er Touring for the same kit, more ugliness than the 5er Touring, more fuel than the 5er Touring, less acceleration than the 5er Touring, lower top speed than the 5er Touring. :yucky:

Also, they stole the split boot lid from Skoda :lol:

Last edited:
I assume the original idea was to make a sleek 4-door coupe, a la CLS or A7 Sportback... but then someone decided that idea was too good and said it should be high-riding, terribly un-sporty and above all sickeningly ugly. I see it as an X6 for someone even richer and stupider, someone who looked at the X6 and said "No, it's far too good looking for me. I want people to projectile vomit when I drive by, but I want to look like I have money so I will not buy a Stavic".

The 5er GT is the only car that makes me look at a Ssangyong and say, "you know what, it's not that bad!"

Last edited:
Can't say I'm impressed. I think most modern beamers just don't look as good as their predecessors. The new M3 is nice but is nothing like the classics.

Tricky question, but I think I know what the 5-series GT is, it's an competitor for those:

renault-vel-satis-4a854f29935509.70651597.preview.jpg

leasing_opel2.jpg

citroen-cx-w.jpg

The only problem there is, they all went out of production a while ago! :lol:

its so fat.

It's for the people who like hideous looks (like the current Nissan lineup) but want the BMW quality.

Last edited:
As much as it's tailgate is a heavy and bulky thing, it's actually really cool to use in person. Very practical.

I agree on it looking fat (especially the back), but i really like the front and the interior is top notch.
Also, I assure you there is no way of getting from A to B more comfortably and with greater visibility than in this car and I should know, my dad owns one.
In terms of practicality it's not that bad either. It does come with 5 seats (not only with 4, as mentioned), the boot is not gigantic but still big, and I guarantee you it's alot easier to park this thing than a regular new 5 series.
You're right when you say it's not the "ultimate driving machine" in terms of sportiness (although it corners pretty well for it's size and weight), but it eats up miles like not many cars do and my dad averages 34mpg (535d and mostly on A- and B-roads that is).
Here in Germany prices start at 55.000? for the 530d and i, which is about 3000? more for the diesel, and 2000? more for the petrol model compared to the 5er touring but you do get more as standard, for example the 8-speed box and park distance control...
So it might be an ugly car, but it's certainly not the worst car. ;)

Tricky question, but I think I know what the 5-series GT is, it's an competitor for those:

renault-vel-satis-4a854f29935509.70651597.preview.jpg

The only problem there is, they all went out of production a while ago! :lol:

I've always liked the Vel Satis. But not the other similar looking Renaults [except the Avantime].