BMW 535d: Diesel has come a long, long way...

idletask

Well, the first road tests of this ?ber autobahn machine have come out, along with the first measured performance figures... Here's a sample where it's compared to a 545i:

535d0oi.jpg

OK, the 545i is shod with 18' tires and that's a disadvantage when compared to the 535d's 17' wheels, but look at that 0-100 kph (0-62mph) time!

Another magazine has measured:
- 0-100 : 6.7s
- 400m/1000m from a standstill: 14.8/26.6 !!
- 90 to 120 kph in Drive (no manual available): 3.4 seconds...

Average mileage 9.3l/100 km. This same magazine has measured the 530i to 12l and the 545i to 14.7l!

To give you an idea, the VX220 Turbo does 5.2s to 0-100, 13.5/25.0 to 400m/1000m and the 90-120 in third is exactly the same time...

Now, _that_ is a machine :mrgreen:

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
It's a shame it still sounds like a tractor :mrgreen:

Well actually no, it doesn't! The 330d I've had already sounded more like an inline 6 than a John Deere, and this is said to be even better...

Why consider a petrol one?! The Diesel is way better and cheaper in price and fuel. :p

Edit: Yeh the new diesels have a good sound, quiet and you can hear the turbo so thats good :D

Old Test... But still, this car IS impressive... Gotta drive one...

But I think you could get the comsumption even lower... The old 530d does 8,4 litre when you don't drive it like mad... 9 Litre should be realistic...

Buba

why is it called the 535d when the engine capacity is 2993cc ? :?

Awesome cars these new diesels no doubt, and you cannot really hear the difference inside the car, this is true. But start the car up in a cold morning and it still sounds like a diesel to those outside the car... Also it still has the power band of a diesel so while it will pull like a heard of buffalos between 2-4K rpm it is lifeless above that range and that my dear fellas is why I will never buy a diesel!

That is one amazing BMW. Wish we could get some more diesels over here in Canada. But our diesel fuel sucks big time right now. 2006 is when the new regulations for diesel will be in place and maybe it will bring over more european diesels. :)

yeah i agree, not enuff diesels in the states.
merc just released one for the e class that's
really nice - lots of torque to haul that heavy
car around

i read an article about ac shnitz tuning a 330d
and they said it was better than an m3 b/c of
the torque.... =]

i read an article about ac shnitz tuning a 330d
and they said it was better than an m3 b/c of
the torque.... =]

I wouldn't question that..

v0od0o said:
why is it called the 535d when the engine capacity is 2993cc ? :?

Daniel said:
BMW are like that. The 320i really is a 2.2. They probably pick a name that sounds better. The 530d might be the same engine, but the 535d with more horses?
The main difference between the 530d and the 535d is that the 535d has a dual stage turbo layout (a small and a big turbo in series, like the layout of a standard Toyota Supra).

See I knew there was a reason, I just didn't know what it was :p

muumipeikko said:
Also it still has the power band of a diesel so while it will pull like a heard of buffalos between 2-4K rpm it is lifeless above that range and that my dear fellas is why I will never buy a diesel!

Well, not in this one... For starters it already has 530 Nm as low as 1500 rpm, and its max torque (560 Nm) at 2000. And its peak power is at 4400 rpm.

As a result it pulls from less than 1.5k all the way up to 5000.

muumipeikko said:
Also it still has the power band of a diesel so while it will pull like a heard of buffalos between 2-4K rpm it is lifeless above that range and that my dear fellas is why I will never buy a diesel!

Well, not in this one... For starters it already has 530 Nm as low as 1500 rpm, and its max torque (560 Nm) at 2000. And its peak power is at 4400 rpm.

As a result it pulls from less than 1.5k all the way up to 5000.