Ownership Verified: BMW 5er - Executive on a budget.

Dino

aka Dins
Car(s)
Porsche Boxster S / Audi A4 Avant
With the new job I took over an existing company lease. It's only temporary and will be exchanged (again temporarily) in October next year for another white BMW.

What you see here is a 2010 BMW 520d in Alpine White with a bit less than 50.000kms on the clock.

hTOo5.jpg

tWSXK.jpg

Xycjo.jpg

k6bJs.jpg

7R46m.jpg

IGXzz.jpg

dPUPW.jpg

7TLyA.jpg

As you can see it's very basic. Options ticked, at least what I can remember, are:

- M-Sport pack (Different front facia, sideskirts and lower rear, 18' M-wheels, 245 front / 275 rear tires, different wheel, alcantara/fabric interieur, and loads of M badges)
- M rear spoiler
- Park distance front and rear
- Adaptive headlights

That's kinda it. Maybe I forgot something, but no important item. A few things are missing that would make this car a lot better (not that it's terrible), notably an automatic transmission, navigation and bluetooth.

I was really looking forward to driving a diesel with a manual, done it before with rentals and really enjoyed it. More control over what the turbo does means more playtime. But it's really getting old.

It has to be noted I didn't spec the car and I know what the restrictions were under which the car was chosen. But for the money a better 3-series makes more sense, I think.

Not to be a downer though, there a loads of good things:
- Looks great (and I look great in it :D).
- The interieur is a nice place to sit, very comfortable and everything one touches has a good feel to it.
- Drives very well. Always feels connected to the road, but very subtle on bumps. Steering is just the correct weight, if not super communicative.
- Always quite inside the cabin, even at max speeds of 230km/h.
- Feels superbly built, everything is solid, no rattles or noises.
- The engine may be small, but with 184PS and 380Nm it never feels slow in everyday driving.
- I'm averaging 6,3l/100km, trending lower. And I'm not driving it slowly. Manufacturer values are 4,9l, I tried for a while but don't see how that could ever be achieved.
- The trunk is massive.

Overall it's nice to drive, nice to look at, has loads of space and is frugal. But with a bit more money it could be a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I said "Me likey F10" often enough.. :). Looking forward to "the other white bmw" on next years roadtrip ;).

Got another major + point for you Dino. It's not grey!:D

- I'm averaging 6,3l/100km, trending lower. And I'm not driving it slowly. Manufacturer values are 4,9l, I tried for a while but don't see how that could ever be achieved.

Do what I did in August and take a road trip through rural Jutland. Flat roads with low speed limits and without anything even remotely resembling cities :) At times I had it show a trip average from a fill-up near Frederikshavn of 5.0l petrol with a total range for the tank of over 1100km.

I'm a bit sad they spent money on stuff like the fat tyres but so little on the interior :(

Haha - the next one will be a little more...sporting...than that :lol:

And love it Dins! Manual = better by miles. Especially in a 5er :p I'll be honest I can definitely see you in a suit in this. Looking executive...

The options seem a little off, yeah. A company car without Bluetooth, wtf?

But anyway, nice car.

Honestly...I wouldn't mind a BMW like this. I don't need fancy things like navigation but the car doesn't look cheap outside.

Bluetooth is an odd omission...it should be standard on a BMW.

Can't knock this car. It's brilliant. Looks great in Alpine White, too. I know you commented on the power, but how smooth is that diesel?

Can't knock this car. It's brilliant. Looks great in Alpine White, too. I know you commented on the power, but how smooth is that diesel?

drehmomentdiagramm-520d.jpg

Below 1.300rpm it's definitely low on power and feels laggy. Anything after that is very smooth and direct, if maybe a tiny bit like a rubber slingshot. Overall it feels like a small engine driving a big car; capable, but still small. Unless you go WOT in 2nd gear, there's never an "OMG" moment, just constant acceleration. Sounds like a lazy bumblebee inside the cabin, not really noticable though at any speed. Outside it's a diesel with a fair amount of turbo whoosh.

When I got the windshield replaced I had a 520d with an automatic as a replacement. The auto was a much better fit for the diesel, it easily masks the torque drop-off during lower gear changes, which is hard to pull off with the manual.

Eh?

I was surprised when I scrolled down and found out it was manual. Don't really see the point - it's a leisurely big sedan with exactly the kind of engine that deserves (and needs) a proper automatic... and it doesn't get much more proper than the ZF 8 speed at this point. :)

Still, love the F10. Such a big improvement over the E60.

Winter wheels and tires are on. And they don't look like shit, woohoo! I was worried, as I hadn't seen them before.

919ck.jpg

Still really wide tires at 245 all around, especially for winter.
They are a lot louder as well, as now I can actually hear the tires with the radio off.

Damn you Ice!

hUTU0.jpg

Did you drive to Slovenia to have your car molested? :D