BMW about to pull out of F1?

I'm fuming seriously going mad right now they gave up to easily...
Given the way you comment... shouldnt you be like :

"I'm fuming seriously going mad right now WE gave up to easily..."

i think the actual reason can be summed up using 2 words: Bad results.
I think that's about it.

In not-completely unrelated news, according to spiegel.de Toyota confirmed they'll stay on board until at least 2012 today.

I have to say that I am really surprised as well, although 'shocked' would be more fitting. A dramatic loss on the BMW budget racing department or is there something else going on?

I think they're too busy creating new niche segments and ugly SUVs to be bothered with F1 anymore. That leaves what, 18 cars to fight it out next season?

Could the team still enter as Sauber? I thought BMW were going to be an engine supplier next year!

I think Mercedes would be more than happy to take care of any potential BMW-engine customers. ;)
If they keep going the way they are it's gonna turn into Formula Macca. :p

If the team is unable to pull a Brawn and doesn't manage continue in some form or other, I wonder if one of the Prodrive/Manor/USF1-type crowd that didn't get an entry will take their place.

If the team is unable to pull a Brawn and doesn't manage continue in some form or other, I wonder if one of the Prodrive/Manor/USF1-type crowd that didn't get an entry will take their place.

Bit harsh on them. Hopefully something can be done to save the team and the workforce though.

Lets hope BMW will compete in the LMP1 category instead.

Yay Kubica vs Kimi in WRC!!!! Some of you may not know that Kubica owns a Skoda Fabia WRC. Not a bad toy to practice in!

Yay Kubica vs Kimi in WRC!!!! Some of you may not know that Kubica owns a Skoda Fabia WRC. Not a bad toy to practice in!

I think he owns quite a few cars actually there's a youtube clip of him driving his EVO VI in Poland probably in 2007.

LeMans seems like the only place to go outside of F1 for BMW to not make themselves look like total fools..Because in my eyes they just gave up way to easily.

LeMans seems like the only place to go outside of F1 for BMW to not make themselves look like total fools..Because in my eyes they just gave up way to easily.

I don't get this sentiment, they've been in F1 for nearly 10 years, only after their deal with Williams ended in 2006 did they buy Sauber. And it's not like they were making loads of headway w/ Williams. Some good results, but not exactly world beaters. Kind of like they are in now.

F1 has become a millions for milliseconds industry and given the goat rodeo that Bernie and Max have started, the empty stands in races, the fact it's not the marketing mosnter it used to be, why continue to throw money at it hoping to climb up the grid at a half empty race track?

I'd rather see Toyota, Renault and Mercedes get out of their factory backed teams, go back to making engines and leave running F1 teams to the privateers.

I thought Toyota and Renault would leave before BMW, but all in all, this piece of news is not too shocking. That's the problem with manufacturers - they can say that F1 does not fit in their "long term plans" and just quit.

I hope the team/workforce can be saved. I won't be surprised if other teams pull out of F1 before the end of the year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77572

BMW fails to find team buyer in time

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, August 6th 2009, 08:41 GMT

The BMW Sauber team has announced it was unable to sign the new Concorde Agreement after failing to reach a deal in time with a possible buyer.

BMW announced late last month that it will quit Formula 1 at the end of the current season, and the German manufacturer started looking for a buyer in order to save the team.

The car maker had until yesterday to sign the new agreement.

Team boss Mario Theissen, however, said it had been impossible to find a buyer for the team in such a short period of time, and therefore the Hinwil-based squad could not sign F1's new accord.

FOTA said on Wednesday it would support initiatives to allow the team to sign up at a later date, although it is unclear if the FIA will allow that, or whether it will give the opportunity to one of several hopeful new teams waiting for an opportunity.

Theissen said BMW will still try to find a solution for the team together with Peter Sauber.

"Since the announcement on 29 July of our strategic realignment, we have done everything in our power to reach a rapid agreement on the sale of the team based at Hinwil," said Theissen in a statement on Thursday.

"Regrettably, despite every effort, this has proved unsuccessful. The tight timeframe we faced simply did not allow us and the interested parties and investors enough time to find a solution for such a complex transaction. This means the team cannot sign the Concorde Agreement at present.

"The aim now is, over the coming weeks, to find a solution together with potential interested parties and Peter Sauber. Beyond that, we will see the 2009 season through to its conclusion with our unstinting sporting commitment."

Well... the Concorde Agreement hasn't even been signed by the FIA and FOM yet. Let's see what comes out of this whole deal. Rumours say that Nelson Piquet Sr. is somehow involved in an attempted buy-out of the team.