BMW M1 revived!

hanasand

Despot
BMW is said to revive the BMW M1 to replace the Z8 in 2006/07.
The car is to be developed together with the BMW-Williams F1 team and
will be only 1000kg and feature a 24-valve magnesium straigh 6 producing aprox. 375 hp, with
a turbocharger perhaps 100 more hp. The car will also be mid-engined
like the original. This piece of news is actually pretty old, and I know it, but
recent reports say the concept is not dead, only a bit dealyed due to the release
of new 5, 3 and 1-series models recently.

112_0301_m1_z.jpg

more info: http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0301_m1/

Sounds really good to me! It might not look like a beauty on these sketches,
but the idea of a lightweight mid-engined bmw sportscar seems good..

Oh, I guarantee it won't look like that. No way they'd recycle the Z4's head and taillights.

Anyone else find it's funny that this news comes right on the heels of Audi's announcement for putting the Le Mans into production?

Audi: "We will put the Le Mans into production, just as we've hinted for the last two years."
BMW: "Oh, yeah, we've been working on a mid-engined supercar too...and for a WHILE now, we've just been...busy. Yes, that's it...busy."

hanasand said:
The first announcement is actually from 2003 Dr.Woo... So I don't think it's directly related to Audi's news of producing the Le Mans...
But what's the last time you heard about anything related to this vehicle?

I'm not saying they announced plans for the M1 now, I'm saying they haven't said anything about it until Audi decided to produce Le Mans.

hanasand said:
True, but for whatever reason they're producing it, it's still cool :D

(let's just hope they truly do, and shoot bangle in the head)
I agree. Lock Bangle up (I'm not quite as violent as you are...and I'm a barbaric gun-owning American! :p ) and design it, then let him out. An MR BMW would certainly kick ass.

This would be nice. I just doubt the "turbo" part. A Turbo BMW seems very unlikely... :|

Redliner said:
This would be nice. I just doubt the "turbo" part. A Turbo BMW seems very unlikely... :|

Where have you been? Just look for 335i

Or better, see here...

The BMW M3 looks headed for some stiff in-house rivalry in the form of a secret twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder version of the 3-series that?s little more than a year away from introduction.

Phew. When i clicked this i expected a hotted up, ass ugly 1 series.

Thats one of the better looking BMW's I have seen in a long time.

But I still reckon the BMW M1 badge will go to its 1 Series hot hatch to become a BMW M1.

TVR_Fan said:
Thats one of the better looking BMW's I have seen in a long time.

But I still reckon the BMW M1 badge will go to its 1 Series hot hatch to become a BMW M1.

They already said that the M badge is reserved for the M3, M5 and M6. But you never know...
money.gif

I could picture something like a 1-series 140i with a V8 crammed into the engine bay. If they could fix the horrible styling it could probably be a potent hot hatch.

am i the only one that doesnt like the look of this car? i get a feeling of a bunch of crappy designs from other car compaines coming together to form one big piece of poop

i think it looks yummy :p

You would think that a car called "M1" would be a M-version of the 1-series, though.