BMW M5 touring vs. Benz 63 AMG

db108

Ok I just watched the new Top gear show and I think the review of these cars was quite shitty, why? Well when Jeremy was talking about the M5 he said that it only had 500 hp just like the normal one wich is wrong they both have 507 and then he said that the Merc. had 507 hp like he had never heard about that kind of hp before, as a BMW fan this got me a bit annoyed. When they had the dragrace the Merc. was like a Bugatti by a Corolla wich was not realistic where as the they have the same amount of HP but the BMW is lighter (but the merc is maybe a bit faster because of its torque, but not this much). This kind of "journalism" is really getting boring and it?s the same with other reviews, if they dont like the brand they make it look like shit on the show and this is making me loosing my respect for the show I mean it is great entertainment but if I would want to know something about a car I would rather watch fifth gear. Am I the only one who feels this way.

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." - Jezza

If I?m not mistaking they have called themselves journalists for a number of times not that I can remember the actual show

You can't really take anything they say seriously. I hate the "If you don't like it, watch Fifth Gear" mentality with a passion, however, if you want facts that is the better show to watch (it just suffers in every other aspect). I'm guessing you weren't around for Clarkson's The Good the Bad and the Ugly Mustang argument.

Just know TG isn't the law.

I second Prost264. You really are not supposed to take anything they say too seriously.

As for me, Top Gear reviews have never really swayed me to either like or to dislike a car. To me they are strictly for entertainment purposes. And a great one at that.

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." - Jezza

+1

db108 said:
Ok I just watched the new Top gear show and I think the review of these cars was quite shitty, why? Well when Jeremy was talking about the M5 he said that it only had 500 hp just like the normal one wich is wrong they both have 507 and then he said that the Merc. had 507 hp like he had never heard about that kind of hp before, as a BMW fan this got me a bit annoyed. When they had the dragrace the Merc. was like a Bugatti by a Corolla wich was not realistic where as the they have the same amount of HP but the BMW is lighter (but the merc is maybe a bit faster because of its torque, but not this much). This kind of "journalism" is really getting boring and it?s the same with other reviews, if they dont like the brand they make it look like shit on the show and this is making me loosing my respect for the show I mean it is great entertainment but if I would want to know something about a car I would rather watch fifth gear. Am I the only one who feels this way.

Anything JC says should be taken with a pinch of salt. He is a brilliant entertainer, hence the excess use of hyperboles and unrealistic comparisons. Its all to make the show funnier and more entertaining, remember some non-petrol heads watch this show as well.

Ok I just watched the new Top gear show and I think the review of these cars was quite shitty, why? Well when Jeremy was talking about the M5 he said that it only had 500 hp just like the normal one wich is wrong they both have 507 and then he said that the Merc. had 507 hp like he had never heard about that kind of hp before, as a BMW fan this got me a bit annoyed. When they had the dragrace the Merc. was like a Bugatti by a Corolla wich was not realistic where as the they have the same amount of HP but the BMW is lighter (but the merc is maybe a bit faster because of its torque, but not this much).

Unfortunately you are actually wrong. We use brake horse power, not horse power in this country. If you refer to HP then yes, the BMW has 507, but the Merc has 514. Once you factor in the slightly lower figures for bhp (no easy conversion) then 500 and 507 is about right. You will find the saloon version of the M5 also has 507 HP. (All figures from official UK manufacturer websites).
As for the difference in speed, the Merc has a tiny bit more power, over 20% more torque, both of which are developed at considerably lower revs to the BMW. This to me could easily explain the difference in speed, the Merc has a far superior engine.

lol never take anything they say as facts. They're wrong 60% of the time. Especially with 0-60 times.

3 words: no one cares

They're both pointless cars. If you want a super performance car, an estate should be the last thing on your mind. And enough with the "car for dog lovers" crap too. You never do 0-60 in 4.something with a dog in your car. Just get a BMW 525D or E270CDI and be happy with them.

There are so many things wrong with db108 but I'm just gonna go with two:

Uno - Top gear is an entertainment show, they even mucked the award for best factual show. They say they are journalists because they ALSO work as journalists in different news papers

Dos - I'm Mexican and he said that the Merc has more power than M?xico, which I found funny not insulting. The Merc has 507 HP which is an awful lot, even if you are used to fast cars that is a lot and who cares if they've got the same HP the merc is faster, mercs are always faster than BMW, they just are (I drag raced a X5 vs a ML, with similar engines and the ML was faster) and I'm not fan of neither those brands, even tough I prefer BMW. So if you find that he didn't stick to the facts some what insulting you are either german or stupid.

OK I dind't stick to two things but if you only joined the forums to bitch about this then F#@%&K off

First off, you need one of these:

http://img260.imageshack.**/img260/7258/thegoodgrammarbookbigqn8.jpg

This kind of "journalism" is really getting boring and it?s the same with other reviews, if they dont like the brand they make it look like shit on the show and this is making me loosing my respect for the show I mean it is great entertainment but if I would want to know something about a car I would rather watch fifth gear. Am I the only one who feels this way.

Secondly, you're not the only one that feels this way, you're not the first one to bring this to our attention, and you're not the first one to notice 5G is more factual-based than TG. If you don't like it, don't watch. If you find it entertaining and want to watch, then watch. But don't get pissy when they say something you don't like.

Unfortunately you are actually wrong. We use brake horse power, not horse power in this country. If you refer to HP then yes, the BMW has 507, but the Merc has 514. Once you factor in the slightly lower figures for bhp (no easy conversion) then 500 and 507 is about right. You will find the saloon version of the M5 also has 507 HP. (All figures from official UK manufacturer websites).
As for the difference in speed, the Merc has a tiny bit more power, over 20% more torque, both of which are developed at considerably lower revs to the BMW. This to me could easily explain the difference in speed, the Merc has a far superior engine.

^ The logical answer to your question.

(Good one Peter3hg ;))

Whoever gave me a -1 for saying the Merc engine is superior, can you please explain why the BMW engine is better in your opinion?
The Merc engine is lighter (199kg v 240kg), develops more power (507bhp v 500bhp), mountains more torque (630nm v 520nm) and develops it's power much lower down the rev range (peak power 6800rpm v 7750rpm, peak torque 5200rpm v 6100rpm). To be perfectly honest I fail to see how the BMW engine is superior in any way.
The Mercedes is even (marginally) the most economical of the two (19.5mpg v 18.8mpg).

OK Peter3hg I just gave you a positive point, for me you are right and don't deserve a -1 you are telling the truth.

The only reason to buy 1 of these 500hp half practicle family cars, is to make sure your children in the back will die with you, after you crash into smth at 155mph. IMO :)

They're both pointless cars. If you want a super performance car, an estate should be the last thing on your mind.

The last thing on your mind when looking for a performance car are gonna be a 5 series or an e-class. Period. I think it?s great to be able to have either of these as an estate. First of all because the weight difference is a joke compared to what these things already weigh. And second of all because you could load your M5 up in Munich with 4 people, their skiing equipment, and lots of beer (or dogs if that?s your kinda thing), and be in the alps skiing about half an hour later...

And enough with the "car for dog lovers" crap too. You never do 0-60 in 4.something with a dog in your car.

you should really meet my friend Basti, his dog Henry, and his RS4 avant...