BMW M5 vs Audi RS4

SuperStalin

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NI2nN2ifrU[/YOUTUBE]

Something doesn't add up... am I missing something?!

M5 Manual is terrible compared to the SMG version, the V10 engine demands the BMW 7spd SMG gearbox, its the gearbox that gives the M5 such insane acceleration, the perfect racing gearing, and with total DSC disengaged, the SMG version M5 doesnt understeer and push wide like the manual one.

if its a manual sedan you are after, the RS4 is the better option.

The SMG version M5 is still the one to get...

The M5 is marginally better in churning out hard data values (g-force, 1/4 mile time, etc.) but that did not compensate for its omnipresent traction control system, which is probably the biggest mistake BMW made.

I'll take an E39 M5 over this one any day of the week.

I'm sure BMW had a hard choice in deciding whether to let the driver turn off all traction control. And seeing that today's M5 have detracted far from its predecessors into a rich man's hosh-posh, daily driving status-symbol they chose to keep the traction control on at all times. It's a sign that the M5 is even less of a sport sedan now than before. The maker's reluctance to allow (at the very least, no TCS) full-on driver interaction with its machine has made it just another luxury sedan with alot of ponies and you have to do all the handiwork.

As MadCow said, stick with the SMG one. The people who buys these won't be seen that much sideways action anyways and they'll be unlikely to put up with the manual shifting. It's like being your own caddy on the golf course, it just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
The M5 is way better then the RS4.

The new manual M5 are also able to disengage SMC fully. Still is like comparing apples and oranges, the M3 or the RS6 would make better comparisons. But I guess were not out at the time of production and will not be for a while.

Last edited:
My view (probably an unpopular one) is that the BMW M5 looks miles more menacing than the Audi RS4.

The M5 is way better then the RS4.

The new manual M5 are also able to disengage SMC fully. Still is like comparing apples and oranges, the M3 or the RS6 would make better comparisons. But I guess were not out at the time of production and will not be for a while.

SMC?

The new manual M5 ALWAYS has some sort of traction control on...whatever the heck BMW is calling it....Integrated Dynamic Stability System....lol

This is why the Edmunds crew chose the RS4 over the M5. The M5 is less sporty than the RS4. The car is designed so that certain input from the driver will be REFUSED to be carried out by the car's computers. And that is its greatest downfall.

that's funny that they compare those two cars. The RS4 took aim at the M3, being more nimble and confident on the road. The M5 is more of a touring car, and handles worse, due to the different target for the vehicle.

I am quite displeased with the M5, to be honest. I LOVE the e39 M5. I think it's the epitome of a performance sedan. Classic styling, raw power, no more computer assistance than you need. The e60 5-series I feel is horrendous-looking. It's unfortunate that they ruined such a phenomenal vehicle with the current design trend of BMW. The over-abundance of computer aid in the M5 has been a complaint since day 1. why do you need 5 SMG settings, 3 diff settings, 3 traction control settings, etc?

L8

No BMW has reconized this and changed it
attachment.php

Last edited:
why do you need to repeat clarkson verboten is another good question?

How many of you have ACTUALLY driven one and can say how much the computer "interferes"

The new manual M5 ALWAYS has some sort of traction control on...whatever the heck BMW is calling it....Integrated Dynamic Stability System....lol

Thats gonna be fixed in the autumn, though... I don't have the Magazine at hand that stated that (after talking to the main M guy) so I can't give you the details. Something about a Software update of sorts...

why do you need to repeat clarkson verboten is another good question?

How many of you have ACTUALLY driven one and can say how much the computer "interferes"

not a M5, no. But on my 130i, the TC interferes quite a lot. i drive with DTC engaged most of the time.

As for the M5, i agree with you, most of the buyers will leave the TC fully on, but you still cant deny the fact that there will be drivers that prefers to drive his M5 with DSC fully off.

And seeing that today's M5 have detracted far from its predecessors into a rich man's hosh-posh, daily driving status-symbol they chose to keep the traction control on at all times. It's a sign that the M5 is even less of a sport sedan now than before.

The new M5 is more hardcore, more involving and much more of a handful than the E39 M5, sure its not much as a sleeper anymore. It looks aggressive and stands out from the normal 5 series. But the performance is mind blowing, and the driving experience is better than the old M5. The old M5 couldnt hunt down a F360, the new one can, it will even keep up with a gallardo and F430 on the straight. Given some simple modifications, e.g de-cat, exhaust system, the M5 can easily chase after a supercar with your whole family at the back. It corners better, brake better, accelerate harder than the E39, it pulls more G around the bends, better nordschleife ring time and almost all of the motor journalist around the world love it. Tsuchiya from BestMotoring, Chris Harris, Tiff Needell, Jeremy Clarkson, C&D. Almost everyone is praising the new M5, i dont see the M department has gone soft, i rekon they did a brilliant job at the new M5.

that's funny that they compare those two cars. The RS4 took aim at the M3, being more nimble and confident on the road. The M5 is more of a touring car, and handles worse, due to the different target for the vehicle.

I am quite displeased with the M5, to be honest. I LOVE the e39 M5. I think it's the epitome of a performance sedan. Classic styling, raw power, no more computer assistance than you need. The e60 5-series I feel is horrendous-looking. It's unfortunate that they ruined such a phenomenal vehicle with the current design trend of BMW. The over-abundance of computer aid in the M5 has been a complaint since day 1. why do you need 5 SMG settings, 3 diff settings, 3 traction control settings, etc?

L8

as an e60 m5 owner, i love the adjustability of the car. you need it because it allows you to set up the car for the type of driving you are doing at the moment. for instance, when driving around town, i want the car to be as soft as possible, smooth and careless to drive. thus i keep the suspension on soft and gearbox in d3, and traction on. when i want to have a little fun at low speed, i turn the traction off and switch to s6. if i'm going to be going very fast, i keep the mdm on because i don't want traction to butt in but i want the security of the traction should things go wrong. also, i may adjust the suspesion to either middle or stiff depending on how hard i'm going to drive it. thus the car allows me to adjust it just right for every moment. now those that don't have a comprehension of this, or just don't understand the car, won't really appreciate it.

on a side note, i found that all those that complain the most about the e60 m5 have either not given enough time to properly get to know the car, or just reluctant to learn all the techy stuff it has. either way, i find this car to be 10 times better than my old e39 m5. it's just in a league of it's own.

oh by the way, i think the i-drive is awesome....

I'm a VAG guy through and through. But if I'm honest, there is nothing that says pure domination like the M5 badge. I'm just a sucker for them. But when it comes to comparing one to an audi, I always thought it would be better suited to contend with an S (or RS) 6, not a 4. Price being the main reason I guess.

I'm a VAG guy through and through. But if I'm honest, there is nothing that says pure domination like the M5 badge. I'm just a sucker for them. But when it comes to comparing one to an audi, I always thought it would be better suited to contend with an S (or RS) 6, not a 4. Price being the main reason I guess.

yes, you are quite right. RS4 is C55/63 & M3's job to take down. Not the M5, thats reserved for the RS6 and E63.