BMW Multifunction Smart Key (press release)

^ It will only end up complicating things in the end. So, no convenience.

Not really. I don't mean that the BMW key would make anything more convenient but a cell phone with an RFID chip? Of course it would. For instance I have a Blackberry (work provided I wouldn't get one myself) it has a camera, a media player, internet, e-mail and the newer version has GPS that can be either used with Google maps or turn by turn software. This basically means that at any given time I only need one device. If you add a little tiny RFID chip to it so I can use it as a credit card or to get into my car it won't complicate it any further than it already is.

It would also mean that I wouldn't need to carry car keys (my key is pretty bulky)

I have a phone, all it does is operate as a phone. I'm quite happy with it as such. I would never take advantage of such "conveniences" nor do I desire them. I guess we are just different sorts of people.

I have a phone, all it does is operate as a phone. I'm quite happy with it as such. I would never take advantage of such "conveniences" nor do I desire them. I guess we are just different sorts of people.

We are not talking about you specifically. I actually have two phones (personal and work), standalone mp3 player and a standalone GPS. I do tend to carry most of those around at any given point but the reason for it is that specialized devices for now are better at their intended tasks than the cell.

However there are plenty of people I know who use their iPhones and Blackberries as only devices they carry. If I could get an Omnia right now and not carry anything else (save for the GPS the car carries that anyways) I would and so would lots of people.