BMW or Merc

BMW or Merc

• Mercedes Benz E320

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
what does anyone think of Acura TL over the two?

its nice, but no match for the 5 or the e

I think it compares better to the 3 in price. i know my dad was considering that or the 3 series

justin syder said:
Heres the problem with the TL. Its looks. For an Acura, it should look more upscale than a Honda. It should look like you paid more for the TL. But it doesnt. The front end looks worse than a Honda Civic Type-R (the hatchback). It looks odd. The rear looks average. But even then it still looks like you paid less than a TSX or more importantly, an Accord. So, why do you buy one? It certainly isnt for its performance. It does have 280 horsepower on tap but that is all completely irrelevant. What is the point of having 280 horsepower that goes to the front wheels? Why do you even bother? Even if it went fast, you would still have to fight the car to keep it in a straight line and because it has its power to the front wheels, it wont handle with the precision and agility that the rear-wheel drive counterparts offer. If you are going to buy a car like this, it is either the E-Class or the 5-Series. Honestly, both look great. The BMW is faster; the Merc is more comfortable.

MPower said:
justin syder said:
Heres the problem with the TL. Its looks. For an Acura, it should look more upscale than a Honda. It should look like you paid more for the TL. But it doesnt. The front end looks worse than a Honda Civic Type-R (the hatchback). It looks odd. The rear looks average. But even then it still looks like you paid less than a TSX or more importantly, an Accord. So, why do you buy one? It certainly isnt for its performance. It does have 280 horsepower on tap but that is all completely irrelevant. What is the point of having 280 horsepower that goes to the front wheels? Why do you even bother? Even if it went fast, you would still have to fight the car to keep it in a straight line and because it has its power to the front wheels, it wont handle with the precision and agility that the rear-wheel drive counterparts offer. If you are going to buy a car like this, it is either the E-Class or the 5-Series. Honestly, both look great. The BMW is faster; the Merc is more comfortable.

wasn't it 270?

Renesis said:
MPower said:
justin syder said:

wasn't it 270?
Whatever. The point is that it is too much for FWD.

hey i like the 5 series. ultimately, I'd like the mercedes CL class rear on the BMW front 8) but hey, i'll take the bimmer over the e class anyday

MPower said:
justin syder said:

what's the point? i've driven it and for on-ramps, passing slow cars, and beating yellow lights its fast. you seem to describe it as if it doesnt meet the need for a track. truthfully you only need about 200hp in a daily driver. more than that is not really necessary.

have you sat in all three cars, the E is a bit cramped for a mid-sized, the 5 is cheap looking but roomier than the E and the TL is comfortable and vey spacious. now the exterior design of the TL is not as good as either BMW or Mercs and having it look so similar to the TSX is another negative. but to say that it competes with the 3 is ridiculous. its priced very affordable and includes feat on the E, looks slightly better on the inside than the 5 and is a pretty good daily driver overall. but maybe the badge turned you off or maybe you just dont know enough about it but check it out some time, its surprisingly a good car. why pay more for a BMW or Benz when you get similar vehicles.

so it has 270hp and is FWD, so? you want somthing that will handle and move get a sports sedan or sports car, IF you know how to drive keeping it stright isnt a problem. i've done it myself. :wink:

its called "brand power" the acura name doesnt have the same cachet as a BMW or Mercedes, so most people wont be comparing them

well then they miss out on a good car, i know acura isnt a great brand but the TL will surprise most that check it out. how many ppl here can afford an E or 5 anyway? most would be able to afford a TL.

Justin, justin...

I know you dad has one but be realistic... it's nowhere as nice as an E Class or 5 Series or A6 or...

Firstly, the image isn't on par with others and it's VERy important with that kind of cars.

Secondly it's FWD and that's a big downside in terms of handling especially with that much power.. Can you say understeer and torque steer?

Thridly, it doesn't look good. It's big and looks like a fat Accord.

justin syder said:
MPower said:
justin syder said:

what's the point? i've driven it and for on-ramps, passing slow cars, and beating yellow lights its fast. you seem to describe it as if it doesnt meet the need for a track. truthfully you only need about 200hp in a daily driver. more than that is not really necessary.

have you sat in all three cars, the E is a bit cramped for a mid-sized, the 5 is cheap looking but roomier than the E and the TL is comfortable and vey spacious. now the exterior design of the TL is not as good as either BMW or Mercs and having it look so similar to the TSX is another negative. but to say that it competes with the 3 is ridiculous. its priced very affordable and includes feat on the E, looks slightly better on the inside than the 5 and is a pretty good daily driver overall. but maybe the badge turned you off or maybe you just dont know enough about it but check it out some time, its surprisingly a good car. why pay more for a BMW or Benz when you get similar vehicles.

so it has 270hp and is FWD, so? you want somthing that will handle and move get a sports sedan or sports car, IF you know how to drive keeping it stright isnt a problem. i've done it myself. :wink:
Youve driven the TL, which is notorious for the worst torque steer in the business, and managed to keep it straight without fighting the steering wheel? Right.... Stop making up stuff.

As I mentioned in my post, the Acura's image is no where near the Mercs, BMWs, or Audis. And thats the thing. Why spend more money on a car that still looks like it should have a Honda badge on it? You can deny it all you want that it is irrevelant but when you take all the Acura badges off, it is still Honda, it is still FWD, and it still doesnt offer anything better than the rest of its competitors.

Firstly, the image isn't on par with others and it's VERy important with that kind of cars.

Secondly it's FWD and that's a big downside in terms of handling especially with that much power.. Can you say understeer and torque steer?

I MENTIONED THOSE NEGATIVES, besides that it is a good car, and what kind of handling do you need for a daily driver?? perhaps mild overteer, for what???

Youve driven the TL, which is notorious for the worst torque steer in the business, and managed to keep it straight without fighting the steering wheel? Right.... Stop making up stuff.

well perhaps i should have been on a track to really notice that. :wink:

second, i agree with you on the whole appearence thing, its not on par with the germans BUT you do not take into consideration the other factors that make the TL a good car. interior comfort, features/gadgets, PRACTICALITY.

the price is still way cheaper than that of Benz and BMW not matter if you feel that it should have a honda badge. you would be able to have a TL before a E or 5 i can garantee that.

all im saying is that the TL is a good car if you are looking to have a mid-sized sedan without having to sacrifice your wallet. it should be considered. you guys have to get past the badge and exterior THEN criticise it if u feel it isnt on par.

go to an acura dealership, try me.

justin syder said:

I MENTIONED THOSE NEGATIVES, besides that it is a good car, and what kind of handling do you need for a daily driver?? perhaps mild overteer, for what???
FWD=medium-heavy understeer... :wink:

justin syder said:

for fun maybe? :roll:

justin syder said:

well perhaps i should have been on a track to really notice that. :wink:

second, i agree with you on the whole appearence thing, its not on par with the germans BUT you do not take into consideration the other factors that make the TL a good car. interior comfort, features/gadgets, PRACTICALITY.

the price is still way cheaper than that of Benz and BMW not matter if you feel that it should have a honda badge. you would be able to have a TL before a E or 5 i can garantee that.

all im saying is that the TL is a good car if you are looking to have a mid-sized sedan without having to sacrifice your wallet. it should be considered. you guys have to get past the badge and exterior THEN criticise it if u feel it isnt on par.

go to an acura dealership, try me.

Funny thing is if your dad didn't own one you'd be telling us how much it sucks compared to a M-B E Class! :lol: