Rumour Mill: BMW over - everyone go home.

Not many people outside forums like this care much about the driving dynamics of a car, that's why the car companies have to care much either.

Manual boxes will very soon not be available on new cars, steering will be fully electric and numb and every single engine will be turbo charged and have a shit amount of cylinders. It's a fact and soon we will be staring right at it.

Last edited:
They make cars for their customers, and who can blame them. The problem then arises here where people who do care about cars have different views on certain design decisions. With their stereotypical M3 customer in mind, it was the right move to make the E90 M3 a V8, whereas the people who don't buy them but are interested (random people on the internet who refer to the cars by E-numbers) might have preferred the straight six. It's basic economics, and I can't blame BMWs executives for going this route, but I just don't like it.

I don't see what the problem is. All the current RWD 3-series aren't just going to vanish from existence... There will still be rwd drivers cars, they just won't come shiny and new.

Besides, if there is enough demand for RWD America will probably send some of their cars. Isn't the next-gen Mustang supposed to be coming to Europe?

I might be a bit biased, but I really don't see what the big deal is. The only rwd BMW that is going away in the 1-series hatch. The coupe and convertible 1-series continue on as 2-series. They are just building a BMW version of the Mini, to increase the volume and profits of the that platform, and have a model to compete with the fwd Audi A1, A3, and fwd Mercedes A-class. People are acting like it's the end of the world, but in the end nothing really changes unless you had your heart set on rwd 1-series hatch. Some of their other recent models, like the 5GT and upcoming 3GT, might be worthy of the wrath, but that's another discussion.

If they build a BMW badged version of the Mini, though, wouldn't that just cannibalize sales of Mini and thereby be a bad idea?

Manual boxes will "very soon" not be available on new cars?? Where, in America?

Manual boxes will "very soon" not be available on new cars?? Where, in America?

Everywhere. Car companies are moving away from them. Look at Mercedes they haven't made a manual in ages (outside of their small cars).

Last edited:
Yup. The last M5 would not have had a manual if it *weren't* for angry Americans demanding it. The European market was happy with paddleshifters.

Everywhere. Car companies are moving away from them. Look at Mercedes they haven't made a manual in ages (outside of their small cars).

That's hardly an "everyone can have one of these" brand... Nor is BMW if you're gonna go there next. I don't see the normal people carriers going full auto any day soon cos they want to offer a cheapest-possible version and that is simply a manual.

If they build a BMW badged version of the Mini, though, wouldn't that just cannibalize sales of Mini and thereby be a bad idea?

Does an Audi A1 cannibalize sales from the VW Polo? I guess there are enough added sales, to justify the minimal cost of the rebadge. As long as they are selling cars, doesn't really matter to the company which badge it has on it. I'm sure there are enough people who would rather have a BMW than a Mini, for a myriad of reasons, from badge to styling.

volkswagen-polo-gti.jpg

updated-new-video-of-audi8217s-a1-metroproject_100217903_m.jpg

Not when a modern automatic can deliver better fuel economy. They may cost a bit more at the start, but they quickly pay for themselves.

Not many people outside forums like this care much about the driving dynamics of a car, that's why the car companies have to care much either.

Manual boxes will very soon not be available on new cars, steering will be fully electric and numb and every single engine will be turbo charged and have a shit amount of cylinders. It's a fact and soon we will be staring right at it.

I wholeheartedly agree and this is the reason why I am starting to look at motorcycles.

I think there is a certain lifestyle that comes with owning a Mini. Girls think they're cute. A cold, emotionless black/silver/white BMW hatchback would probably appeal to a much different demographic, I would imagine.

There will be some cannibalism, but also a lot of added sales to make up for it. Just like Skoda is cannibalising some VW sales but also stealing from every other make in the relevant segments, effectively adding sales to VAG at higher profit margins than VW.

There will be some cannibalism, but also a lot of added sales to make up for it. Just like Skoda is cannibalising some VW sales but also stealing from every other make in the relevant segments, effectively adding sales to VAG at higher profit margins than VW.

They sold so well, they canned the guy running Skoda :lol:

Yup. The last M5 would not have had a manual if it *weren't* for angry Americans demanding it. The European market was happy with paddleshifters.

Same with the F10. It and the upcoming M6 will have manual options as well due to American complaints.

It's.

Hideous.

2014-BMW-1-series-GT-spy-photo-placement-626x382.jpg

Car and Driver said:
Purists will wince at the latest example of the brand?s transformation: A concept for a compact, front-wheel-drive BMW MPV will be unveiled at the Paris auto show late next month. The existence of this Paris-bound concept has been rumored for months?most recently reported by Auto Express?and was confirmed to us by a high-ranking BMW source.

Its front-wheel-drive architecture will be shared with the next-generation Mini, and its engines will come from the corporate parts bin. Under the stubby nose we?ll see the new, modular three- and four-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines. We believe the 1-series Gran Turismo?which we understand will likely be its name when it begins production?will be powered by a 1.5-liter three-cylinder unit, but a pure EV won?t be offered. ?We don?t want to dilute our i sub-brand,? our source tells us.

What?s new is that the 1-series GT?which we?ve managed to catch here in a few spy photos?will be launched just one year after the concept, at the 2013 Frankfurt auto show. Its styling will be unspectacular given the packaging constraints, but will feature distinct BMW cues. Front- and all-wheel-drive versions will be offered; a hybrid could come later, but it?s not a priority.

Why does BMW need a small people mover? The brand has studied the purchasing behavior of shoppers in its home market and discovered that BMW is weak in a market dominated by cars such as the Mercedes-Benz B-class and the Volkswagen Golf Plus. While a typical BMW customer in Germany may have a diesel-powered 5-series as a company car, that customer won?t be able to add an affordable, practical second BMW for everyday use. That?s where the opportunity lies for the 1-series GT, and the company is betting that purists will prefer this dynamic people mover, with its Mini and BMW genes, to the even more mundane offerings of the competition.

Nevertheless, it is a risky proposition. There is a strong focus on fuel economy, the i sub-brand, and hybridization at BMW. Where is the fun? Brand loyalists wait for more lightweight cars, they mourn the disappearance of the straight-six from the mainstream models, and they would love to see a mid-engined supercar to compete with the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG and the Audi R8. We wish the 1-series GT success, if only to enable BMW to do a few of the aforementioned high-performance projects. The downside is that the people mover will pave the way for more front-wheel-drive vehicles?the third-generation 1-series could be next.

That's hardly an "everyone can have one of these" brand... Nor is BMW if you're gonna go there next. I don't see the normal people carriers going full auto any day soon cos they want to offer a cheapest-possible version and that is simply a manual.

Fuel consumption regulations is what forces them to go auto. A modern twin clutch job can be programmed to give a noticeable increase in efficiency.

Fuel consumption regulations is what forces them to go auto. A modern twin clutch job can be programmed to give a noticeable increase in efficiency.

That would increase the price even more. Do you see a 10,000 dollar/pound/euro car, the kind that is most popular, at least round here, going to waste those dollars into a high tech dual clutch auto? I really cant

DSGs will get cheaper as time goes on. At some point the price different will be small enough to not warrant building cars with both as options.