BMW recalls 1.3 million 5 and 6 series models worldwide

So, BMW wants their customers to get familiar with the Fires of Hell for when they join their mutual master Satan. It's nice to see a car company go above and beyond.

So, BMW wants their customers to get familiar with the Fires of Hell for when they join their mutual master Satan. It's nice to see a car company go above and beyond.

Did you not hear about the meet and track day last year? :p

Another possible case of FIERY DEATH!

But because it doesn't have a Chevy badge on it, expect no one to pay attention much.

Impossible, German perfection, etc., etc.,etc... :rolleyes:

This is the second time in less than a year BMW has had to recall cars for going on fire. Last time it was the 7, X5 and X6.

So, let's see... I'm going to guess that the 1 and 3 (or X3) will be the next to be recalled for fire issues. If it is, that'll pretty much be their entire lineup, won't it?

Last edited:
FFS its a battery cover!
Ford had brake fluid leaking on live circuits for the cruise control at one time.

HOLY SHIT! Possibly incorrectly mounted battery cover.
Finally, FINALLY proof that BMW is just as useless as the rest of those euro "auto"makers. Nevermind, just look at those pieces of garbage, I knew it all along.
First they try to take over that lovely country Greece, now they tryin to burn all us good people. F'ing Germans.

FFS its a battery cover!
Ford had brake fluid leaking on live circuits for the cruise control at one time.

The earlier one wasn't. The earlier recall:
BMW is recalling 32,084 2008-'11 vehicles, including the BMW 7 Series, X5 and X6, because circuit board and water pump overheating failures can lead to a fire risk, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

"The circuit board for the electric auxiliary water pump can overheat," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "This could lead to a smoldering of the pump or an engine compartment or vehicle fire."

How do you miss that in testing?

Also, the Ford one was that the pressure switch inside the brake system (it's mounted to the master cylinder) had the seal fail. One little $0.01 O-ring. That was it (and that was enough to set the thing on fire.) They were crucified in the press here, BMW (among other makers) made snide comments about low quality components, and lawsuits were flying. Much was made of the Ford truck fires and they were linked to the old Pinto fires from the 70s. "A pattern of behavior" was established.

So, how is this different?

"Only" a battery cover doesn't fly. Why would you put anything metal close enough to the battery where it could short out if the cover isn't on it or installed improperly??? Even Jaguar wasn't that dumb.

Last edited:
First they try to take over that lovely country Greece...

Wait, are you talking about the recent bail outs of Greece, or are you talking about WWII? If it's the latter, that was actually Italy...

I propose his title be "A beemer killed my parents"

"Only" a battery cover doesn't fly. Why would you put anything metal close enough to the battery where it could short out if the cover isn't on it or installed improperly??? Even Jaguar wasn't that dumb.

That reminded me of this:

Well, the difference here Spectre, is that Ford denied and neglected the problem for years, they didn't do anything about it. I beleive there was a highly publicized case where a whole house caught on fire for that failure and killed some people. Heck, even my dad's old Aerostar had a cruise control failure with me driving it when it went to WOT. Thankfully I kept my cool, shifted to neutral and was able to park safely. No one ever drove that POS again after that incident.

How many people have been killed by BMW failures? My bet is none...

I bet you will now spend countless hours on google searches that somewhat resemble a trustworthy source just to be right again.

Also, are you any kind of R&D or manufacturing engineer? Let me tell you, testing doesn't give you all the answers, sadly because of this field information is incredibly valuable since you can't replicate all scenarios and mitigate risk for them. This is a news story of a company actually correcting an issue, not just ignoring it and sweeping it under the carpet.

Well, the difference here Spectre, is that Ford denied and neglected the problem for years, they didn't do anything about it. I beleive there was a highly publicized case where a whole house caught on fire for that failure and killed some people. Heck, even my dad's old Aerostar had a cruise control failure with me driving it when it went to WOT. Thankfully I kept my cool, shifted to neutral and was able to park safely. No one ever drove that POS again after that incident.

These BMWs have been burning down people's houses for years as well: http://bmwproblems.wordpress.com/tag/house-fire/ BMW USA's first reaction to any problem is to deny, deny, deny. And then when the evidence is overwhelming, deny some more. So again, what's the significant difference here?

Your Aerostar's cruise failure was not the infamous switch seal failure. In fact, the first sign that something has gone wrong is that the cruise control suddenly stops working or drops offline intermittently. Not max accel. (That's a different failure and one that isn't limited to Ford.)

How many people have been killed by BMW failures? My bet is none...

One recent incident: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Car_Trouble__BMW_Fields_Questions_About_Turton_s_Death.html

I bet you will now spend countless hours on google searches that somewhat resemble a trustworthy source just to be right again.

Nope. Just three seconds.

Also, are you any kind of R&D or manufacturing engineer? Let me tell you, testing doesn't give you all the answers, sadly because of this field information is incredibly valuable since you can't replicate all scenarios and mitigate risk for them. This is a news story of a company actually correcting an issue, not just ignoring it and sweeping it under the carpet.

No, it's a news story of a company finally admitting to a problem and correcting it after many, many, many years. I have friends that are R&D/manufacturing engineers who work in the automotive and aviation fields, and they tell me this stuff should have been caught in testing long before this thing was released. Thermal cycling testing is or should be standard issue, especially with something like a cooling pump. Likewise, the current battery/cable issue is equally stupid; shouldn't final QC have caught that on the way out the door?

Bottom line: BMW's no better than Ford and deserves the same treatment.

Last edited:
No, Nazis were in Yugoslavia and Greece as well as Italy.

Yes, but the Nazis were in Greece because the Italians couldn't get the job done. Hitler was content with not invading Greece (and had forced them into neutrality), but El Duce wanted to show him up by rebuilding the Roman Empire, and when they couldn't get it done, the Nazis had to go in for fear they would lose that Southern flank they were hoping to protect when they invaded Russia.

No Spectre, no. The Failstar failure was the cruise control module. Yes, the brake fluid shorted the CC circuit causing a WOT situation. Do not say that it wasn't it becasue it happened while I was driving, and I clearly remember the diagnosis. And I also clearly remember the dealer buying it back at a not disgusting value when it was 8 years old just so that we would shut up.

In any case, this or any recall doesn't make BMWs the heaps you make them out to be.
Ford? I have my first hand experiences to hate them, not only with the Failstar, but my grandpas old Explorer and other 3 Ford products, most problems were never recognized by them.

And do you just like selectively read comments? I said that testing tells you most of the things you want, but some can't be known until something goes wrong in the field. Additionally, neither QC nor manufacturing or R&D will know to inspect for something until your testing tells you its a fail point, or when field data tells you that your FMEA documents should include it.

Last edited: