News: BMW to unleash 350bhp M1

Hell, why not? The M1 name is sort of sacred, but I'm not going to complain when a more powerful BMW is hitting the market, sure as hell beats the X M's.. 350hp is a bit tame though, my recipe would be:

135 Tii:
-TT straight six with 400 crank hp
-Lighter painels and other bits to shave the weight
-LSD
-Manual box only
-Available in stupid colours like orange and bright yellow.

Still, I have faith in BMW, even after the 5GT/X6 disasters--

while i don't mind the car, this puts a nail in the coffin that a real M1 re-do is coming :/

if they name it the M1 BMW must die

if they name it the 135M on the other hand...WANT.

It'll prob be called the 1 series M, just like the X5 and X6 M

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 135i + $600 chip = 350hp to the wheels

350hp + chip = even more to the wheels :) but I see your point. An LSD would be 2-3K max and $600 chip would put the standard 135 on at least equal footing with the "M"1.

Essentially taking a base model 135i and spending the same 8K about in mods will get you a faster car most likely.
Quattro doesn't really help in bends, btw.
That's not really true it helps on the exit quite a bit.

With a kerb weight of not much more than 1500kg, its straight-line performance should be close to that of the 1580kg M3.

That was a typo right?!?! At most, thats less than 100 kgs lighter than the bigger and much better looking M3.

I was hoping to see a 1-series coupe with most of the useless crap stripped out and a lightweight, high revving NA 4 cylinder :(

I was hoping to see a 1-series coupe with most of the useless crap stripped out and a lightweight, high revving NA 4 cylinder :(

Didn't they already do this? BMW 135tti? That I remember was good; this looks er....not so good.

Please don't disappoint us again BMW.

Not in production though :(

Actually, BMW's M-division is developing the new, Real M1 as we speak.
But in a recent interview M-boss explained that they need to get this 1-series M-car on the market first as it will sell in larger volumes.

Hi. I'm here to save this thread:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVkY8oA3RlE[/YOUTUBE]

^ Mans right

So in essence your just paying for M1 badges and maybe some tarty electronics.

No, and the great M diff at the back, along with the fancy DCT gearbox.

No, and the great M diff at the back, along with the fancy DCT gearbox.
And sportier suspension (brakes too?).
That diff would only matter if you are looking at time attacks, for general fun normal LSD (as long as its not a V) will work just fine. I would take it in manual only (so would a few people I suspect) so gearbox doesn't really matter.

Basically you could just as easily take a regular 135, chip it, do some suspension, brake and put an LSD in it and have the same if not more performance for the same if not less money.