• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

BMW Z5

matt_shaw

Just another .ca?
Perhaps the most interesting news of this Germanic trio, it seems BMW is working on a replacement for the funky-looking M3 Coupe.

Even more interesting, however, is the name change that is rumoured to occur. You can forget getting mixed up with the M3 from the 3-series and M3 Couple from the Z-series, as BMW insiders are calling the new model the Z5.

From the "clothes off" shot you can see that the Z5 has a slight resemblance to the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10. Is it a coincidence that BMW's new head of design is Chris Bangle, an American?

The new look is a similar in profile (side-on) to the upcoming BMW Z4, yet the front-end of the Z5 is quite different, going for a less 'bulgy' and more angular look.

The two-door coupe is currently in the testing phase, as you can tell from the black disguises used on photos 2 and 3. No word on a release date as yet, but surprisingly, word is it will emerge sooner rather than later.

Sharing components of the upcoming Z4, the Z5 is also likely to borrow many elements from the X Coup? concept, such as tail lights.

Furthermore, the next generation coupe is expected to be one of these ultra-light performance cars, somewhat similar to a Lotus Elise, for instance. As such, we can expect seminal handling and feedback from this rear-wheel driver.

Sure, it won't come close to the Elise's mind-boggling 710kg mass, but in using aluminium, and even kevlar for areas such as the door panels, boot and bonnet, the new Beemer is expected to weigh in at around 1000kg.

While you may be wondering why this is such a big deal, considering your average Honda Civic weighs only a few kilos more, how many Civic's boast a power output of 164kW? Well, admittedly the Civic Type R does come close...

The 164kW figure will arrive courtesy of a 3.0-litre BMW mill, an inline six-cylinder to be exact. More interesting, however, is the speculation that the BMW M5's engine will be transplanted into the Z5's spacious engine bay.

This would make for a seriously fast rear-wheel drive coupe, as this 5.0-litre V8 engine is highly tuned for a rather tasty 298kW @ 6600rpm. Likewise, 500Nm of torque is quite a bit of twist, and you can bet there'll be a fair amount of Formula One technology in there as well.

http://img420.imageshack.**/img420/2506/3augger68tg.jpg

http://img420.imageshack.**/img420/7180/3augger71da.jpg

http://img420.imageshack.**/img420/6782/3augger83aj.jpg

reminds me of the saturn sky but i like it
More interesting, however, is the speculation that the BMW M5's engine will be transplanted into the Z5's spacious engine bay.
holy hell :shock:

awww just saw its the v8 but still holy hell

the front looks like it was rammed into a brick wall.. a bit flat...and large.

From a marketing point of view, isn't the M6 enough?

But its neat, maybe something a bit more special, along the lines of all these supercars we've seen come by.
The v10 doesn't pack as much of a punch compared to the other cars in that segment, but it being that light should make it a keen competitor.

Kip_6666 said:
From a marketing point of view, isn't the M6 enough?

But its neat, maybe something a bit more special, along the lines of all these supercars we've seen come by.
The v10 doesn't pack as much of a punch compared to the other cars in that segment, but it being that light should make it a keen competitor.

The M6 will cost a shit load more.

wow those pics are at least 5 years old. It will probably be called the z4 coupe as BMW seems to be sort of following a naming scheme odd # = sedans, even # = coupes. Although i doubt they will name the next 3 series based M-model the M4 just to keep the connection to the M3 name.

Speaking of which, the M3 is celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2006.

hey M5 rangerover... your back!... all the oldies are finally coming back, shame that jos is gone now

the lines are interesting, but the headlights ruin the front.

Its a Bimmer so it'll drive well with the straight-6 out of the M3 but based on these photoshop/spy-foto, its fugly.

That's a chop, there's no way it'll look like that.

Morgan Aero 8 meets Bangle :shock:

Isn't that article way out of date? I mean it's talking about the 'upcoming' Z4 and speaks of the M5 motor being the now superseded V8, so surely that article is a couple of years old.

fbc said:
Isn't that article way out of date? I mean it's talking about the 'upcoming' Z4 and speaks of the M5 motor being the now superseded V8, so surely that article is a couple of years old.
Yeah thats true "of the upcoming Z4" is gotta be at least 1 or 2 or maybe 3 years old. But I've been looking arounds my concept car and design mags but i cant see any trace of the Z5

We should organise a crusade to assasinate Chris Bangle.
It seems like he is doing this on purpose to ruin BMW's popularity in the US.

DOWN WITH CHRIS BANGLE!!!

Z Draci said:

he isnt the one to be blamed all the time, he himself doesnt design all BMW's (i think)

bartboy9891 said:
Z Draci said:

he isnt the one to be blamed all the time, he himself doesnt design all BMW's (i think)

And remember - those desgins get signed off by BMW management, so they could stop Bangle too, but they chose not to.

That being said - the Z4 is gorgeous