Bob Lutz: Pontiac G8 MAY live on as a Chevrolet

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/bob_lutz_pontiac_g8_chevrolet_caprice/index.html
FEATURES:
Bob Lutz: Pontiac G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice
July 11, 2009
By David Zenlea, Eric Tingwall

Only hours into his latest tenure at General Motors, Bob Lutz was back at what he does best, namely, slipping product information to the media and giving enthusiasts a reason to believe in the beleaguered auto company.

Asked about the future of the Pontiac G8, slated to end production with the 2009 model year, Lutz told Automobile Magazine the car would find its way into Chevrolet showrooms under the Caprice name.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet," Lutz said. "It is kind of too good to waste."

CEO Fritz Henderson has repeatedly denied that the G8 would survive as part of another brand, saying he's "not a fan of rebadging."

But Lutz, citing export agreements with Australia and the fact that the Holden Commodore is already sold in many countries as a Chevrolet, assured us GM would not let the car die.

Lutz also confirmed that the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe was still very much in the pipeline, and noted that members of the government taskforce took special interest in the super coupe.

"When we went through design and looked at the future product, the procession stopped at the model of the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe," Lutz told us. "I think that some of these guys are personally going to buy CTS-V Coupes."

Lutz also noted that a CTS-V Wagon is still a possibility, saying, "I think that'd be fun. I'm sure we'll build at least one."

That would be cool. I hope they save the Solstice/Sky while they're at it.

I want them to save it ONLY if they change the seats and figure out how to properly finish the interior of a car

Agreed. GM ... well, they were making good improvements on their interiors. Hopefully ObamaMotorCompany lets them continue making improvements in that area. I'd like to see the Solstice sold as a Chevrolet. Maybe even throw that DI 3.6L 300hp V6 in them. They can call it the Chevette. :lol:

Some good news from GM. The original concept that Chevy had on the Kappa platform was a Nomad wagon, I never understood why it didn't get built.

They should call it the Biscayne.

Hmmm... a Caprice. Seems like it would make a decent police car.

CEO Fritz Henderson has repeatedly denied that the G8 would survive as part of another brand, saying he's "not a fan of rebadging."

Rebadging? Rebadging what? Pontiac doesn't exist anymore! :S

I WANT A CHEVY CAPRICE NOW. Or better yet, make that the impala.

I don't get why Fritz would be opposed to such a thing, they have to do no work whatsoever. The grille has been done for other countries, the US certification was already done for the G8. Since they need people in the showrooms have very little money, why wouldn't you bring over a car that doesn't need a dev. budget?

I don't get why Fritz would be opposed to such a thing, they have to do no work whatsoever. The grille has been done for other countries, the US certification was already done for the G8. Since they need people in the showrooms have very little money, why wouldn't you bring over a car that doesn't need a dev. budget?

Because they're idiots.

And because the G8 isn't made here and doesn't funnel more money to the unions.

Because they're idiots.

And because the G8 isn't made here and doesn't funnel more money to the unions.

The G8 wasn't exactly a sales success though. There was big demand around this time last year, but it didn't last long. I see quite a few G8's on the road, but that's probably not the case for the rest of the country.

Did they ever offer the G8 with a manual transmission? I thought they were going to offer one in it's second year of production, but I never heard anything after that. I would love to buy a G8 with a V8 and a 6 speed. Hopefully they do the intelligent thing and save the platform, so there is still hope.

Edit* checked the website and the top of the line GXP with the 6.2L V8 offered a manual. But not the normal 6.0L or the V6 models.

Last edited:
Haha, now they're against rebadging. :rolleyes:

I want them to save it ONLY if they change the seats and figure out how to properly finish the interior of a car

No kidding, my 97 Miata has a better interior, better top and more trunk space than the Skystice twins. I don't care how good those cars looks the interior and top are both crap.