Ownership Verified: Bobele23's lil' Golf GTI Mark IV [No 56k]

Bobele23

DONOR
Car(s)
03' BMW 525i touring . 17' BMW M2
I think it's about time to Post my little Fella.

It's a deepblue Pearl 1998 Volkswagen Golf Mark IV GTI, with a 2,3 l V5 with 150 HP 10 Valve and 209 NM.

I saw her at the Internetz at an dealer near my town. I paid around 5Grand (Euros) for her. The Dealer itself gave me a 1 Year Warranty.
After the Day I picked her up, we had some starting issues, Her Sidewindow of the driver Door fell (that happens quite alot to pre 2000 Models)
So I claimed at my Dealer, but he didn't wanted to fix on the Warranty, so i offered him a deal, he change my Sidepanel (wich normaly Cost 110?) and I pay him 25 ? for his Work and get the damaged Part on Warranty.

So a Day later I got her back, with another unique "feature", the Lock wasn't build in properly so everytime I lock my Car, the Sidewindow of the Driver door did drive down .
So I Drove back to the dealer being like
rage_fu_guy_Every_fight_on_Xbox-s250x200-103726-580.gif
let him fix this aswell. after that she worked like a swiss Clock.

Some Pics of her with her Wintershoes in spring.

dscn9551-4436.JPG

dscn9553-4435.JPG

dscn9556-4434.JPG

dscn9555-4438.JPG

dscn9544-4433.JPG

dscn9546-4432.JPG

dscn9543-4430.JPG

dscn9549-4429.JPG

dscn9550-4439.JPG

Proof

dscn9548-4437.JPG

dscn9542-4431.JPG

Summertime :D

Repaired Climate Compressor, Magnetic Clutch didn't work. Fueled System up. Working Fine. Also changed Belt.
And put a new JVC Headunit so I can listen to MP3' s.
Upgraded Wheels from 17" 225 (Winter beaters OZ Racing) to 18" 225 ASA AR1 front polished/black.

thats what she looks like now (with some like Eifel Wetter )

dscn1947-klein-4841.jpg

dscn1949-klein-4839.jpg

dscn1946-klein-4842.jpg

dscn1953-klein-4835.jpg

dscn1948-klein-4840.jpg

dscn1951-klein-4837.jpg

dscn1950-klein-4838.jpg

dscn1952-klein-4836.jpg

dscn1955-klein-4833.jpg

dscn1956-klein-4832.jpg

dscn1957-klein-4831.jpg

dscn1958-klein-4830.jpg

dscn1959-klein-4829.jpg

dscn1960-klein-4828.jpg

Things I want to do in the near future Oil Change, Spot Repair and renewing some trims.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I've always wondered if the V5 was born during some VW engineering department party, where they got totally drunk and started to argue if it's possible or not to make V-engine with uneven amount of cylinders. Then in the morning they woke up and found out they had already asked for permission from the board and now they had to solve the problem. But being german engineers it wasn't impossible task, just a small mechanical problem, just like making some rear-engined cute small car work in corners.

Congratulations! Must be fun to drive.

I'm very interested about the sound of the v5.
Maybe you could upload a vid of the exhaust sound :cool:

*random thought* I don't know why, but I am always kinda disturbed when people refer to their car as a "she". In my mind that just doesn't make sense :?

I've always wondered if the V5 was born during some VW engineering department party, where they got totally drunk and started to argue if it's possible or not to make V-engine with uneven amount of cylinders. Then in the morning they woke up and found out they had already asked for permission from the board and now they had to solve the problem. But being german engineers it wasn't impossible task, just a small mechanical problem, just like making some rear-engined cute small car work in corners.

Would have been more likely that they went drunk to the Audi Museum, looked at that
MB_Aug_1987001.jpg

an then thougt, "Yeah dude, we should put that Engine, in one of our Cars" next day they woke up with headache and a explosion drawing of that Engine with a narrower V Angle.

Because basicly it's just an old Audi Engine :D

I'm very interested about the sound of the v5.
Maybe you could upload a vid of the exhaust sound :cool:

*random thought* I don't know why, but I am always kinda disturbed when people refer to their car as a "she". In my mind that just doesn't make sense :???:

:lol: In my mind it works, ..... Wait Wut ?

With stock Exhaust system in idle it's pretty much not hearable, only a little rattle from the Chains when started cold. Sound starts to happen at 4500 to 6000 RPM, so not easy to put on Tape. With changed Exhaust, they can sound a bit dirty [video=youtube;1F-Vt3VB43s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F-Vt3VB43s&feature=related[/video]

:lol: Even that new, demonstrator Golf had a malfunctioning rev counter. :rofl:

Gotta love the bunny badges in the proof pic! I kind of want to find the ones we stuck on the LeMons car and make rabbit magnets for the fridge (...or the Lancer, lulz).

Would have been more likely that they went drunk to the Audi Museum, looked at that
an then thougt, "Yeah dude, we should put that Engine, in one of our Cars" next day they woke up with headache and a explosion drawing of that Engine with a narrower V Angle.
Because basicly it's just an old Audi Engine :D

:lol: In my mind it works, ..... Wait Wut ?

With stock Exhaust system in idle it's pretty much not hearable, only a little rattle from the Chains when started cold. Sound starts to happen at 4500 to 6000 RPM, so not easy to put on Tape. With changed Exhaust, they can sound a bit dirty

I thought the V5 was a variant of the VR6 engine? AFAIK Audi's five cylinders were always inline-5.

I thought the V5 was a variant of the VR6 engine? AFAIK Audi's five cylinders were always inline-5.

The VR6 of the Golf Mark III was the Solution to a problem with all front driven hatches. The space in the Enginebay was to mall for straight six Engines. So they cut it down by going V Angle, they also put in a very narrow Angle, so they didn't lose on width either, AFAIK 13-19 degrees (actually very clever ;) ) Yes the part with the Audi, I fucked up, Audi always build their engine straight 5, however the 2.3 VR5 is basicly the straight 2.3 Audi Engine( like in the Quattro,Audi 100 / B4) they just turned it in to an VR Engine so it could fit under the bonnet ;)

Anyway status Update:

had to change Oil earlier as I wanted, spotted last Weekend a black Spot under my Car, after i removed the oily Covers under the engine bay i lifted the car with a jack and diagnosted it was Engine Oil i lost (tipped on the Servo first) as it turned I already had lost 0,5 Liter in 1 Day. found the leak luckily after a couples of hours, it was the Oil pressur Sensor that popped out of the rubber sealing above the Oil Filter. Got myself a Replacement for 5 Euros and a new Filter + Oil (10-W40). however i couldn'tput it back myself ( couldn't reach it with the Hands ( direktly in the middle under the "Ansaugbr?cke")) so the whole Front had to be dissambled, I did that let a friend with a KFZ - Garage do this, had to pay 90?, not bad ;P ATM everything works fine *crosses fingers and hopes this was the last Gremlin this year* :D

one Picture in Clean Version, shiny Rims are shiny again :)

mwp6rbck.jpg

Just a short Update

img-20120524-00009-7027.jpg

next week I shall break the 200k km Point. Passed the MOT (T?V) last March with flying flags.
did break my own Speed rekord last Friday onmy way home from Messe essen. I did get up to 210 kp/h (130 MP/h) I could'nt go faster because of alot of traffic and wind.

210 is your speed record in a GTI? Are mk4 GTIs that slow or are you that scared of speed?! :D

Well if go 16" wheels and a long enough,no traffic,no wind,no rain, no Baustellen on the A1 Autobahn,I could prolly get to the factory accorded 240 kp/h.

edit: Which btw. i did once in diesel Merc Wagon e class on the A30, so I'm not afraid of that kind of speed, but on the A1 you can barely acclerate to 180 kp/h

Last edited:
GPS , through my speedo is only 3 Kp/h off

Sort of Update :
added power ( Norschleife Vinel x2 , should at least give 25 HP) pics will follow
Front license Plate is screwed proper back together, after the Ringmeet incident ;)
AC is refilled and tested, new compressor is working fine and no leaks in the system.
So far so trouble free *knockonwood*
oh yeah and:

proof-7764.jpg

A proof pic to realy make sure, that it is my car (orange box) :p, btw the car below it is our Passat and the black car under it is my old car (now my mums shopping trolley):)

A V5? How odd, I didn't realize there was such a thing.

EDIT: Wikipedia'ed it. Turns out it's basically an inline 5 but that each cylinder is just offset slightly for space reasons. The angle is shallow so it's not really a traditional V-engine. Today I learned... :)

Last edited: