Boxster/Cayman GTS launched

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Porsche just launched the Boxster GTS and the Cayman GTS.

Cayman:
PorscheCaymanGTS2.jpg

PorscheCaymanGTS.jpg

Boxster:
PorscheBoxsterGTS2.jpg

They haven't released the specs yet, but you can expect them to be a little bit better specced than the respective S-models, have a little bit more power, and a bit more focused.

Better than S, but under the GT3?

I mean in terms of sportiness level.

In Porsche lingo it goes something like this in terms of sportiness (for the 911):

Regular base model -> S -> GTS -> Turbo -> Turbo S -> GT3 -> GT3 RS -> GT2 -> GT2 RS

Note that the Turbo models are faster than the GT3's but not as sporty/track oriented.

For the Boxster and Cayman however it only goes:

Regular base model -> S -> GTS

I doubt they will make anything quicker than that, to avoid cannibalising the 911's

Any pictures of the rear? That's been the really fugly part in Coxsters and Caymans in the past.

If you consider the rearend of the 981 as ugly, you can't be helped and won't find a solution to that in a different trim-level, which is what GTS is. If you failed to realize that the 981 even exsists in the first place, you sorta missed 2 years.

For the Boxster and Cayman however it only goes:

Regular base model -> S -> GTS

I doubt they will make anything quicker than that, to avoid cannibalising the 911's

I think you may forget the R somewhere.. :p

Last edited:
Meh if I was to have a Boxster it would be absolute base spec with a manual.

I would love this. I really love how the 981 looks and I was very tempted to lease a 981 base vs buying a 987.1 S (I went with the 987.1 S). This car will be amazing, and I imagine, better than a base 911. It might even compete with the Carrera S, performance wise. Looking forward to seeing them, and maybe, owning one someday.

Meh if I was to have a Boxster it would be absolute base spec with a manual.

And then a few years down the line contemplate a $10k repair job because a drain somewhere clogged and it's full of water, as has happened with my dad's Boxster. >_>

They both look great on the move:

[video=youtube;NWb-YI454Eo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWb-YI454Eo[/video]

The subtle changes to the front end has made it look much more aggressive. It's a little bit on the expensive side for now, but a few years on the market should fix that. :)

Tests are out, predictably it's brilliant:

car_photo_593716_12.jpg
car_photo_593701_12.jpg

We drive the new Porsche Cayman GTS. Sharper than the Cayman S, is it Porsche's best sports car?

What is it?
The new Porsche Cayman GTS. On the surface Porsche?s GTS formula isn?t particularly revolutionary, it just seems to play the ?ideal spec? game very well, cherry-picking all the best bits from the options list. Yes the Cayman GTS gets power and torque increases to lift it above the Cayman S, but they?re hardly earth-shattering numbers, adding just 14bhp and 7lb ft to the totals, giving 335bhp and 280lb ft. However, the end GTS result is somehow more than the sum of its parts. Prices start at ?55,397.
Read the rest on EVO.

The Cayman GTS isn't an R replacement, or a GT3-lite. It is, however, really rather good

In the same way that we can reasonably expect the child of Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis to be fairly beautiful, there's was a sense of inevitable greatness about the Cayman GTS. How could it not be? Take the already superb Cayman S, cherry pick the best from the options list and give it a few styling enhancements then, voila, another excuse to talk about the 904. Plus a rather excellent Cayman, even if a good story would have preferred the opposite.
Read the rest at Pistonheads.

If you?re after a base Cayman to take to the hills, the GTS is probably too much extra coin for you. Yet a large chunk of Cayman buyers tick the options box for larger alloys, Sports Chrono, etc, and have been urging Porsche for a model with a bit of added kick ? and this is the car for them. The fact that it?s the best value Cayman ? an S with added lustre ? makes this the best Cayman. That makes it one helluva car.
Read the rest at Carmagazine.

Seeing this it's hard to see why (objectively) you'd want a standard 911 Carrera (or 911 Convertible in the case of the Boxster GTS), the appeal of that cramped rear seat bench can't be that great.

[...]Seeing this it's hard to see why (objectively) you'd want a standard 911 Carrera (or 911 Convertible in the case of the Boxster GTS), the appeal of that cramped rear seat bench can't be that great.

The 911 is a more luxurious car. This has little to do with performance when you go for a base 911 Carerra. It?s about how much more upmarket the 911 looks inside and out. Your normal 911 carerra buyer does not give a rats arse if the Cayman GTS is quicker or sharper around some circuit. Or if the rear seats are usable.

Make no mistake - I?m not defending the 911 "cult" here or saying that performance isn?t relevant ... I?m just saying it?s not the Focus of the Person walking into a Porsche Showroom and looking at a 911 Carerra, if maybe the Cayman GTS is the better drivers-car or not. As long as the Cayman/Boxter are lower in the food-chain in terms of luxury and presence, the Cayman will never take buyers away from the 911.

Last edited: