The Stig: Brace Yourselves!!!!

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
In response to our mention in the current Top Gear mag I had a thought while cooking Cajun chicken* for supper.....

The mag has a circulation in the UK alone of around 350,000 copies monthly. As for worldwide circulation I have no idea, but while the advertising is welcome, as is the official printed acknowledgement, I strongly suspect we will shortly be inundated with hundreds of 4 post n00bs starting Stig identity threads and the like....

Neg rep buttons at the ready guys!!!

*I'll post the recipe in the relevant section if I get enought requests.

You are one of those people who negrep the first post people do? Good moral.

The comment was tongue in cheek - I save the negrep button for the real arseholes.

Stop believing your own avatar and take a chill pill for Chrissake. This place is supposed to be fun isn't it?

This thread is just as bad as the Stig identity threads.

I'm off, polishing my l, o, f, a, g and t buttons. :wicked:

Stop believing your own avatar and take a chill pill for Chrissake. This place is supposed to be fun isn't it?

My avatar has nothing to do about me. It's taken from oldschool TG when JC reviewed the Merc CL AMG.

As Top Gear gains in popularity we can't do anything but expect more people to visit these forums. From when I joined untill today it has completely exploded in terms of posts.

My avatar has nothing to do about me. It's taken from oldschool TG when JC reviewed the Merc CL AMG.

As Top Gear gains in popularity we can't do anything but expect more people to visit these forums. From when I joined untill today it has completely exploded in terms of posts.

I'm all for increased popularity and more members but I was just making a slightly tongue in cheek post about how many new members tend to go with the same thread topics, and end up with a red blob after 3-4 posts.

Maybe Viper should reconsider that idea of a requirement of 10 or 20 posts in the non-FG and TG sections before being able to post there?

Reactions: MWF
Maybe Viper should reconsider that idea of a requirement of 10 or 20 posts in the non-FG and TG sections before being able to post there?

I have terrible rep, partially because i dont partake in the whole process but i love it here! i'd be sad if that were to happen. Remember, one day a ways ago you were new to this place too.

I think that more than bracing ourselves for "new" people comments, we should embrace them... they may bring new fresh ideas. It is almost a fact that there will be some dumb new polls and threads, but that is the cost of a forum right?

Let's not be so judgemental and try to remember that the more members the forum has the better things will be

I think that more than bracing ourselves for "new" people comments, we should embrace them... they may bring new fresh ideas. It is almost a fact that there will be some dumb new polls and threads, but that is the cost of a forum right?

Let's not be so judgemental and try to remember that the more members the forum has the better things will be

group-hug1.jpg

There'll still be a high ratio of idiots to gems. I'm keeping my neg-rep button well-oiled and ready for action.

I think that most of them will get the idea if we tell them how to search and that such threads are frowned upon. If they start flaring up and being obnoxious, yeah, then i would neg-rep, purely because they are being arses.

But yeah, I'm still a newbie, so I always watch what i write!!! :D

I think you just go in and do a post and hope to god no one neg reps you. Obviously, you know nothing because you're a noob, but that's how you start from being a noob to being a regular. It all starts with one, people.

I think you just go in and do a post and hope to god no one neg reps you. Obviously, you know nothing because you're a noob, but that's how you start from being a noob to being a regular. It all starts with one, people.

I am not saying it has NEVER happened, but I have never seen a new person be neg repped just for being new.

I have seen new users come on and within 4 post, as Matt pointed out, turn into assholes. And are neg repped at that point.

Some learn their lesson and become good members. Those they don't want to are soon banned. Just as it should be.

Hey hey people, let's just calm down. :)

Actually MWF does raise a valid point in that while its great that Final Gear is getting mentioned, it could also be used to attract the not-so-savory users of the internet. Its very normal in that when something gets mentioned a lot more attention diverts to it. Its like if a film comes out based on a book, the interest in that book goes up as people pay more attention to it. If they believe that the forum is in some way connected to the worlds greatest program, there will be people coming on here starting threads like "want to buy top gear tickets." "what colour paint is the stigs helmet" and "Evidence that the Toyota Prius is saving the world." in the insane belief that the guys over at TG will mention them.
We all remember the days of the Stig Identity Thread Wars and the forum should be about fans of Top Gear, Fifth Gear and all other various motorsports. We may all have differing opinions but we could at least get along on the idea of the community. I don't want to sound preachy, but if the eye of attention is shifting in our direction. shouldn't we be putting a good image across, so other fans can go "this seems like a great forum to be a part of." instead of "wow these nerds need to get a life."