Brake pressure good bite is delayed

93Flareside

Sosig
DONOR
Car(s)
See Signature
This is on my Mercury.

When braking, I have good pressure but, it doesn't feel like anything bites right away. Maybe I'm just not used to the brakes on such an old car but, it doesn't seem right.

No matter the speed, if I hit the brake there's very little grab and then as I keep pressing down there's all in a sudden the cut lurches because there's all this braking going on. I've tried bleeding myself and there seems to be no air inside the lines. Is a drum adjustment issue? I did a "panic" stop in my garage and the front discs lock up like I'd expect but it took a second. Drums did not lock up. However, on worn asphalt on my street, the passenger rear drum locks up before anything else.

What is the deal?

Master cylinder bypassing, brake hoses expanding instead of transferring hydraulic pressure.

You do know OE brake hoses only have a 10-15 year rated life, right?

They last until they burst. Could be 10 years, could be 30. :D

Would steel braided be a good upgrade?

They last until they burst. Could be 10 years, could be 30. :D

And then you sue the maker for not making them last forever? :/

Would steel braided be a good upgrade?

It's the standard upgrade and very, very worthwhile - it's standard issue on some higher performance vehicles; specifically, the cop car versions of the Panther platform, late in life, got that as standard equipment. You have to make sure the stainless braid is protected by something transparent (as in, installed at time of manufacture) so you can both protect the braid and
inspect for problems between the braid and the Teflon tube at its core. This is de rigeur for most stainless line makers but unfortunately there are still a few idiots making ones that are built like a dishwasher hose with nothing covering the stainless braid.

And then you sue the maker for not making them last forever? :/

It's the American way!

It's the standard upgrade and very, very worthwhile - it's standard issue on some higher performance vehicles; specifically, the cop car versions of the Panther platform, late in life, got that as standard equipment. You have to make sure the stainless braid is protected by something transparent (as in, installed at time of manufacture) so you can both protect the braid and
inspect for problems between the braid and the Teflon tube at its core. This is de rigeur for most stainless line makers but unfortunately there are still a few idiots making ones that are built like a dishwasher hose with nothing covering the stainless braid.

What's a good brand to go with?

Aeroquip, Goodridge, Willwood, AP Lockheed, Russell, StopTech - there's others too.