Brawnier 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class leaked ahead of New York debut

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Well, the front is a HUGE improvement, and I never really minded the back of the R-class, so this has now become an acceptable looking vehicle IMO.

Source: Autoblog

The R-Class has had a rough life. Not only did it suffer from odd, disproportionate styling, but Mercedes-Benz never really marketed the vehicle the way that it should have, choosing to position it as a "sports tourer," rather than the obvious upscale family hauler that it is. Dismal sales ensued. Makes sense, then, that the 2011 R-Class benefits from a slightly more comprehensive overhaul than the standard mid-cycle refresh usually entails.

Right away, we must say that the R-Class's new schnoz is a giant leap forward from drooping proboscis of the outgoing car. New, more chiseled headlamps accent a larger, more upright grille and a less angular hood. The revised lower fascia features the automaker's new quad foglight design ? something we've already seen on the E- and GL-Class. Not much has been changed out back, save the standard mid-cycle enhancements (revised taillights and a tweaked bumper).

Interior changes are minimal, which is fine, since we've never really had a problem with the sports tourer people mover's cabin. Look for the typical array of Mercedes-Benz technology features, as well as a new AMG sport interior, which includes different seats, a better steering wheel with shift paddles, a new lighting package, and stainless steel pedals. As for powertrains, we expect the standard V6 engines ? both petrol and diesel ? to be offered. Us? We're secretly crossing our fingers for the return of the R63 AMG.

Check back later this week for full details from the New York Auto Show.

2011mercedesbenzr-class000.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class001.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class002.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class003.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class004.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class005.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class006.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class007.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class008.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class009.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class010.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class011.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class012.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class013.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class014.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class015.jpg

2011mercedesbenzr-class016.jpg

Last edited:
Mercedes facelifts its minivan/Pacifica clone (and not a very good one at that). Big whoop.

So that's what those strange taxis are.

Now that's more like it, the new front looks amazing and the rear lights are also way better then the ones in the pre-facelift model. Overall, it's a facelift done well. Still, this and the BMW 5 GT seems 2 pointless cars.

^ Agree - this is what the first R-Class should have been.

They still build the R-Class?

The center console looks really fake Chinese rip off. Not good Mercedes, not good.

The center console looks really fake Chinese rip off. Not good Mercedes, not good.

Yeah that wood trim and gray leather looks dreadful. R-Class is yet another boring chassis developed only to plug a market gap. :yawn:

Hearse 110%!!!

Well...It's much better.

"The new R-Class, now slightly more desireable than an STD"

"As something to live with everyday, I'd rather have bird flu."

Still butt-ugly and pointless, no thanks.

If I had to buy a pointless car like this, I'd go for the 5-series GT, it actually drives like a car, unlike this ugly hearse.

B?h! Can't belive they could even make it uglier that it was.

looks like a pumped up B-Class or something

Still butt-ugly and pointless, no thanks.

If I had to buy a pointless car like this, I'd go for the 5-series GT, it actually drives like a car, unlike this ugly hearse.

It's not any more "pointless" than any other three-row people-mover from the Flex to the Odyssey, and it makes a lot more sense than a three-row luxury SUV for people who never actually go off-road.

The 5-Series GT isn't a three-row vehicle, so I wouldn't consider it remotely comparable. And given a choice between an X5 and this, I'd choose this in a heartbeat.

In my honest opinion it's uglier than before, and that says a lot. It's not as pointless as an X6 or 5-series GT, but it still fills out a hole in the market that never really existed.

I'd just have a Ford S-Max.