Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
These are the rules:

10k Euros is the budget.

The garage will have one of those two options:

• Option 1-> 2 cars, one being a reliable daily driver and the other a fun weekend car.
  • Option 2-> A fun to drive, realiable daily driver.

The daily MUST have room for 3 people. Size be damned, because we are currently just fine with a hatchback.:lol:

What would your options be?

In that price range, I recommend a daily driver that's also fun to drive instead of two cars that need to be maintained, taxed, insured,..

And if you're fine with a hatchback, there are plenty of used Golfs and Focuses available within your budget. Not the best cars for having fun, but reliable and certainly better than a Palio. ;)

Option 1 as follows:

A) A Golf or one of its close cousins with the 1.9 TDi 150 engine (Seat Leon, Audi A3/A4 etc). Because as Clarkson et al have said, a reasonably quick Golf is essentially all the car most of us would ever actually need.
B) An NB MX-5 with low mileage and no rust, because according to James May and many others, the MX-5 is all the convertible you would ever need.

You should have a decent chunk of change from the budget for insurance, camping gear for Victoria Station and several laps of the Nordschleife.

BMW 330i E46 touring

Which will need a sports cat on it to avoid going into limp mode at the 14km mark on the 'Ring. :tease:

#voiceofexperience

Not with the budget in Euros and the thread title. I rather suspect we are about be invaded by three Brazilians.

Which would be particularly awesome news. :mouse:

If I had my sensible hat on I'd probably go for a Scirocco TSI. However I haven't seen my sensible hat recently so I'd probably buy a cheap beater Fiesta and a 944...

I'd also consider an Ampera because I like the idea of free tax and free short drives but it would be ruled out as it's not fun, the price wouldn't leave enough money for anything else.

I'm going by option 2.

Fun to drive, small family, decently reliable and ? 10.000 means some sort of "warm" hatch in my mind (I'm assuming German prices). Since you don't mention fuel economy and reliability is a relative term:

Alfa Romeo Giuletta 1.4 Multiair - Beautiful design, decently powerful (170 hp), decently practical and not so bad reliablity wise as you would think presumably.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=239419873&scopeId=C&colors=RED&isSearchRequest=true&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&minPowerAsArray=58&minPowerAsArray=KW&minFirstRegistrationDate=2009-01-01&maxPrice=10000&maxMileage=90000&makeModelVariant1.makeId=900&makeModelVariant1.modelId=17&pageNumber=1

Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost - Very nice handling, good power, very practical but not the most sexy design inside and out:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...000&makeModelVariant1.modelId=20&pageNumber=1

I wanted to be able to splurge a virtual 10k on some Brazilian rarities! Talk about life gols.

In that price range, I recommend a daily driver that's also fun to drive instead of two cars that need to be maintained, taxed, insured,..

And if you're fine with a hatchback, there are plenty of used Golfs and Focuses available within your budget. Not the best cars for having fun, but reliable and certainly better than a Palio. ;)

Hey! :lol:
Joking aside, what are the realistic options? I drove both the Focus and the Golf and the former felt better. I wouldn't mind an ST. :p

Lose the kid. Get a Miata.

I tried that already. He keeps finding the way back home.

Option 1 as follows:

A) A Golf or one of its close cousins with the 1.9 TDi 150 engine (Seat Leon, Audi A3/A4 etc). Because as Clarkson et al have said, a reasonably quick Golf is essentially all the car most of us would ever actually need.
B) An NB MX-5 with low mileage and no rust, because according to James May and many others, the MX-5 is all the convertible you would ever need.

You should have a decent chunk of change from the budget for insurance, camping gear for Victoria Station and several laps of the Nordschleife.

Eh. I am not particularly fond on the Golf, specially diesel.Stop being so reasonable! :p
Which will need a sports cat on it to avoid going into limp mode at the 14km mark on the 'Ring. :tease:

#voiceofexperience

Wasn't yours a 330d?

Is this for Brazilian market stuff?

Euros.
European Garage.
;)

Brazilian Fiat Uno Sporting

Why would I downgrade?

Not with the budget in Euros and the thread title. I rather suspect we are about be invaded by three Brazilians.

Which would be particularly awesome news. :mouse:

Not yet. We're still working on it. I'll definitely annoy you all to death when it happens.
This question came yesterday, when Carlo asked me what kind of car we would own in Europe, and if we could have "one just like his uncle's", which is a E87 130i. :lol: He loves to ride in that car. :)

If I had my sensible hat on I'd probably go for a Scirocco TSI. However I haven't seen my sensible hat recently so I'd probably buy a cheap beater Fiesta and a 944...

I'd also consider an Ampera because I like the idea of free tax and free short drives but it would be ruled out as it's not fun, the price wouldn't leave enough money for anything else.

I forgot about the Scirocco! I think it is a gorgeous-looking car. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I'm going by option 2.

Fun to drive, small family, decently reliable and ? 10.000 means some sort of "warm" hatch in my mind (I'm assuming German prices). Since you don't mention fuel economy and reliability is a relative term:

Alfa Romeo Giuletta 1.4 Multiair - Beautiful design, decently powerful (170 hp), decently practical and not so bad reliablity wise as you would think presumably.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...900&makeModelVariant1.modelId=17&pageNumber=1

Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost - Very nice handling, good power, very practical but not the most sexy design inside and out:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...000&makeModelVariant1.modelId=20&pageNumber=1

I like your ideas. Both interesting choices. Thanks for the input. :)

I wanted to be able to splurge a virtual 10k on some Brazilian rarities! Talk about life gols.

You will need more than 10kEuros... :|

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm...BMW Touring with a V8...
I don't know why, but Mercedes do nothing to me.
That M5 is also all the car I could ever want, but I don't think that qualifies as a "daily". Also, blue seats? Ew.

Oh yeah.
I drove an E36 325 Touring and it was lovely. I wouldn't mind owning one. The ride Adunaphel gave me in his 328 solidified that appreciation. Perfect daily driver for me, if equipped with a manual.

I forgot about the Scirocco! I think it is a gorgeous-looking car. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Do not

even consider

the 1.4

in any of its iterations in the Scirocco within your budget.

The first ones I found for sale here were the 2.0, should be easily available within the budget.