Bread aka Things That Make You Go "Dough!"

Results: sage isn't worth it. Rosemary all the way. The salami, though? Sooooo worth it. Might even try mixing it in to the dough rather than just sprinkling it in top.

I probably use double the suggested oil on the pan, and almost double the recommended oil to drizzle on top before baking.

For salting the top before baking, use as course of a salt as you have. Coarse kosher, or better yet Malden salt. With just sea salt, it's easy to over salt. Since kosher is less "salty" by volume, it's easier to control.

Serve with evoo. I will cook it with the normal "meh" stuff we typically use for cooking, but then use the good stuff for serving/dipping.

Last edited:
Oh Focaccia counts as bread alright :nod: I've never tried my hand at it, tbh - no idea why

Well, there you go! Even sort of followed the recipe you posted (half the amounts, except for the fancy King Arthur stuff - also translating from cups to grams via wolfram alpha was a bit off, way too wet and sticky). Haven’t tried it yet, but once it cools down it’ll serve for dinner ? I put the last of my rosemary into the dough itself rather than on top and only sprinkled very coarse (probably too coarse) salt over it... will edit with verdict.

8C33B460-EC83-4375-8E22-9D9CAD9572B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Ooh fresh foccacia... :drool:

Well, there you go! Even sort of followed the recipe you posted (half the amounts, except for the fancy King Arthur stuff - also translating from cups to grams via wolfram alpha was a bit off, way too wet and sticky). Haven’t tried it yet, but once it cools down it’ll serve for dinner ? I put the last of my rosemary into the dough itself rather than on top and only sprinkled very coarse (probably too coarse) salt over it... will edit with verdict.

View attachment 3559358

Awesome! My own personal tastes would say "more oil on top before baking", but that looks awesome! Glad it turned out tasty!

Four additional things:
1) my dough does turn out wet, and so after the 6 minutes of mixing, I start slowly adding a table spoon and then mixing for another minute or so until it's combined. I think this last time it took 3 extra tablespoons.

2) then I oil my hands with the oil in the bowl to pull it from the mixing bowl to keep it from sticking to my hands.

3) actually, I would still encourage rosemary on the top, and I know it might sound weird, but keep the pieces large. Believe it or not, those hard pine needles basically deep fry in the oil on top, and turn light and crispy. I swear! I'm sure inside was delicious, too, though. :)

4) The bread class was sponsored by King Arthur so thatxs why it specifies it in the recipe. I DID buy their specific whole wheat flour, but this is the only thing I mKe that uses it, so the one 5lb package has lasted me forever. I just use regular white AP flour, though.

Looks awesome!

Thanks for the hints - I'll definitely be giving this another try, soon!

Other people on the internet also recommend actually putting like a 1/4 cup of brine/saltwater over the top along with the oil. Sounds intriguing... Also I agree it could've used way more oil...

Regarding the rosemary: I actually just dumped the rest of my dried rosemary in the dough and only later remembered that I have a huge rosemary plant on the balcony where I could've gone an gotten the fresh stuff ?‍♂️

Took a bread making class at a Sur le Table store a few years back, and this one one of the 3 recipes we made, and have made it about 1/2 a dozen times since then.
Thanks for that, I'm making it now! (y) Since I messed up the timing for the sourdough bread that was supposed to accompany dinner later today, the focaccia should be a delicious alternative. ?

So I’m awake at almost one in the morning and looking at used professional ovens on eBay small ads. :unsure:
Haas Meincke or werner & pfleiderer?

Anything Japanese! I remember waking up to soft falling rain in Kyoto, walking to a near by bakery and getting melon pan. Then to a family mart for cans of coffee. We would sit on the roof and watch people commute on the bikes.

I remember opening the hotel window in Hanover on a warm sunny day smelling a nearby bakery... <3 bread is awesome.

I tried my hand at Japanese milk bread today... so far so good, result looks promising.

Wow, crazy consistency... I’ve never had bread quite like this before. I’m actually quite stunned, I did not expect this ?

No idea how to describe it. It’s soft, but fairly chewy, not really sweet at all (which I sort of expected). I can very much imagine this as the perfect white sandwich bread.

So, minor technical difficulties have arisen....

Someone threw out the package for the mix I used today. Which I believed to be Brioche.
It was actually Sourdough. Oops.