Bread aka Things That Make You Go "Dough!"

I tried my hand at Japanese milk bread today... so far so good, result looks promising.
Made one this afternoon and once toasted, it should go really nicely with something I found in the cupboard:

BFED3556-BB63-4226-9E7C-933BAE3BF8CF.jpeg

Ha, nice! I've made another two since last week as well :|

Also I revived Bernd (Germans go DUH!), my sourdough, and put it to work again this week as well. It went very well considering I hadn't fed him for three weeks and kept him in the fridge...

20210129_115825060_iOS.jpg

ANOTHER ONE!

Didn’t want to bother with the fuss so decided to try this low effort sourdough thing from KA: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2021/02/12/how-to-make-easy-sourdough-sandwich-bread

Literally just mix up flour, water, salt and sourdough for a minute, leave it for 12h and dump it into a loafpan. Maybe I went a little high with the temperature (compared to the pictures in the link), but i do like me some crust. Only just pulled it out of the oven, so will have to see how it turned out - looks promising so far.
A32C12D1-35BF-42BE-8CAD-B7C226A8B8A4.jpeg

I will admit I bought the bloody thing, but I did not really believe it would work that well... holy shit, the amount of oven spring this produces is crazy. Yes, I'm missing a baking steel, I have ordered one, but until that arrives, the skillet has to make do...

This is after a 20 min. oven spring phase @ 250°C and 100% steam. The sourdough thing in there only fermented for 6 hours after the starter coming straight from the fridge, after not being fed for a week. Insane results, tbh. Holy crap :eek:

1616685450768.png

I will admit I bought the bloody thing, but I did not really believe it would work that well... holy shit, the amount of oven spring this produces is crazy. Yes, I'm missing a baking steel, I have ordered one, but until that arrives, the skillet has to make do...

This is after a 20 min. oven spring phase @ 250°C and 100% steam. The sourdough thing in there only fermented for 6 hours after the starter coming straight from the fridge, after not being fed for a week. Insane results, tbh. Holy crap :eek:

View attachment 3560589
I've seen steam injection on roll in commercial ovens, never on the home personal scale....

I've seen steam injection on roll in commercial ovens, never on the home personal scale....
Well, that was the idea: professional grade device for home use.

How much, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ve been looking at used steam ovens on eBay for a while, but never found anything convincing. New ones seem prohibitively expensive.
Yeah, that was their entire promise - to bring the pro tech to a consumer price point: 619€ (https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/)

I think that leaves room for a 999€ slightly larger integrated model down the line. That's honestly the biggest drawback I can find at the moment, that it's only available as a countertop version (and they specifically tell you to leave room at lot of room, so you can't just shove it into a cabinet - edit: also, this is warranted. while the steam vents from the bottom right at the front, it then goes everywhere).

Haha, I love it actually because we can see the anova oven being used at home rather than by a promoter. Gorgeous crumb!

1D7ED18F-6A5C-4F35-8C20-9DEC076DADD4.jpeg

NEXT! Since my wife gave me a baguette pan (???), I ended up making two tiny little mini baguettes. Total dough weight of 450g for both, mix of yeast and sourdough (no time to overnight). They look good, they sound good (oh the crackle while cooling ?), will see tonight whether they also taste good and what the crumb looks like.

ANOTHER! This time around I had a bit more dough, but then I forgot to cut the baguette before putting them into the oven… so after 2 min I rushed in there with scissors to rather limited effect lol. They ripped open real nice on the side but formed these rather ridiculous little ears.
86E8431D-C8BD-4E99-8FAF-D83597A9A51B.jpeg

I like the spikes

CF30B800-BE6E-45EB-900E-FB814D3EBC3A.jpeg

This time done right with sour dough and more whole wheat - will keep the Baguette at less than 15% though. The darker one was at 20-25, and while still fine, somehow it’s not quite Baguette anymore? Maybe a little too dense…
The rye boule came out very nicely as well. A night in the fridge does work wonders. However somehow I must have miscalculated or mismeasured the salt, at least the baguettes were slightly too bland. I usually just go with 2%, but maybe these need more. Any ideas?

Whatever they are, those cylinders looks GREAT.