Autoblog: BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011

They should then build this:

3-ford-interceptor-concept.jpg

YES!!!

That was his point...the ZT260 was derived from the FWD Rover 75 platform, something Ford would have to do to the Taurus platform to make it into a good cop car.

Exactly.

The thing about RWD is maintenance cost. A RWD is much cheaper to work on than a transversely mounted FWD car (15 minute belt change vs two week belt change). It also means a less cramped engine bay.

The problem with AWD is cost. More stuff to break and heavier on the gas than two wheel drive.

Dear Ford, make it look pissed-off and angry. Thanks.

Well I can do, just give me a Hammer! :cool:

topic; Whats wrong with Ford, do they really have to base it on an Australian Falcon, just because GM uses an Australian Caprice?

If the Car is only for Police-Use, why are'nt they just restyle the old Crown Victoria, make it tougher, rougher, put an EcoBoost twinturbo V8 in it and Call it the Ford Crown Victor Interceptor? :D

Well I can do, just give me a Hammer! :cool:

topic; Whats wrong with Ford, do they really have to base it on an Australian Falcon, just because GM uses an Australian Caprice?

If the Car is only for Police-Use, why are'nt they just restyle the old Crown Victoria, make it tougher, rougher, put an EcoBoost twinturbo V8 in it and Call it the Ford Crown Victor Interceptor? :D

Because the CV is an ancient body on frame car that tends to explode when hit from the rear?

The amount of redesign needed to modernize the CV would be pretty close to just designing an all-new car - and since they already have the Falcon, well...

Because the CV is an ancient body on frame car that tends to explode when hit from the rear?

uhmmhh, that sounds horrible...

...I now really want to see that happen, might be fun to watch! :mrgreen:

Edit: I found one Video, its true! :lol:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiC34JRrdw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
uhmmhh, that sounds horrible...

...I now really want to see that happen, might be fun to watch! :mrgreen:

It isn't. Not when you realize that people get killed by it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiC34JRrdw[/youtube]

I already found the vid! :rolleyes:

And by the way, on such an crash, you can even get killed in a modern Day Mercedes S-Class, so it isnt just the crown, just because its catching fire.

Last edited:
Which would you rather be in, in a high speed rear-end collision?
a) One that ass-plodes.
b) One that doesn't burst into flames.

I already found the vid! :rolleyes:

And by the way, on such an crash, you can even get killed in a modern Day Mercedes S-Class, so it isnt just the crown, just because its catching fire.

The modern S-class does not have its fuel tank located inside the crumple zone. The Crown Vic is the only car on the US market today that does.

^ Mythbusters should've used the Crown Vic for the 'Does a car always asplode when it falls of a cliff' myth.

1 - using a car known to burst into flames isn't a scientific test
2 - most people don't go over cliffs backwards

They would have to do some serious work on a Ford Falcon for it to be a replacement for the PI. The Falcon is shorter, narrower, and has a six cylinder. Unless the draw and quarter the thing i think the new PI would be from scratch.

Actually the only downside to the Falcon is the length of it though the platform it is based on had a LWB range as well (in BA/BF format).

It is used as a Police vehicle here in OZ and it more than capable of exceeding the Crown even with it's 6 cylinder.
If that's not enough it comes with a 400+ HP turbo 6 engine (see FPV F6) or a V8.

Didn't we have a massive debate/flame fest a while ago about the merits of the CV vs the Falcon and other police cars?

Car platforms are widened and stretched all the time now-a-days. Platforms are designed from the get-go to be modifyable so that they can get as many cars as possible from the same basic platform.

:lol: I didn't even notice that I did that.

1 - using a car known to burst into flames isn't a scientific test
2 - most people don't go over cliffs backwards

Yeah, but those who due sue.

So that means Prizarks8273987234 and his Crown Vic are fated to a fiery crash?