Breaking news: From next year BBC to show Formula 1

Top Gear team would be a bad idea. I wouldn't mind the odd segment on their show, but stay off the F1 coverage. Murray Walker would be a bad idea as well. He's had his time, and was pretty average in his last performance commentating the Australian grand prix last year. Still, a guest seat in the commentary box for the British grand prix might not be such a bad idea.

Martin Brundle should be retained, and I'd hope someone along the lines of Ben Edwards or maybe David Croft, or Charlie Cox gets to share the commentary box as well. Ted Kravits can go, dont care who they replace him with...even James Allen would be a better choice, and lets face it, he did do a pretty good job in that position before taking over Murray's role.

Devon said:
Also, does anyone know when Australia's Channel Ten contract is up for renewal? Hopefully soon and hopefully they lose to another network!

Would you prefer to see it back at Channel Nine, perhaps? :p

I wouldn't...

Bloody Alan Jones and BIG DARRYL "DAZZA" EASTLAKE!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, Eastlake's a legendary commentator, but only at weightlifting and surf lifesaving.

Well I was hoping for SBS to win the rights because I think they'd give F1 the coverage it deserves. I reckon they'd show the races live and probably show more stuff each weekend like Practice sessions and qualifying live.

But at this stage I'd be happy with any other network getting the coverage other then Ten, because we don't get channel 10 where I am anymore. :( Unless it was a pay-tv channel like Fox Sports then that'd be a disaster.

I was listening to Radio One last week when this broke and I can tell you that Murray Walker sounded like he would go back to commentating if asked. I'd like to see Murray and Martin as the commentators, with someone other than the Top Gear guys, like Hammond as some are suggesting here, hosting the coverage.

Best thing thats happened to F1 for a while!!

I agree that Murray is past his prime.

But anyone would be better than Greg Rust and Cam McConkin. Sick of listening to Rust think up half-arsed questions for McConville to guess an answer to because he has no idea what goes on in F1.

Don't get me wrong, Rust is a good pit reporter and McConville is a great driver.....but they suck big time as F1 presenters.

^ Haha, you have Channel 10 still :p

This might actually make me cancel my SPEED TV Subscription, and just watch it on BBC. Any word BBC America showing this? Don't think so...

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/2008/03/25/back-with-another-one-of-those-cock-stoppin-beebs/

COCK STOPPIN' BEEBS
Sniff, Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 at 9:00 am
Posted in News

Yes, it?s the best news since some bloke took his new slicing machine round to Mr Hovis?s house: As of next year Formula 1 will be back on the BBC.

Now, aside from celebrating an end to irksome ad breaks and the repetitive sponsorship bumpers therein, lots of people have e-mailed since last week?s announcement to point out that perhaps we have, at last, Stopped The Cock.

Obviously Sniff Petrol would like to take all the credit for this, even though it?s patently not true and might make us look self-aggrandising to the point of mentalness. Besides which, we?re not out of the wet voiced woods yet and there?s always a small chance some buffoon at Television Centre will accidentally phone the weak milky stats bore and invite him to jump channels. But let?s hope it doesn?t come to that.

If you?re listening, slightly victorious and smug BBC Sport people, here are some pointers for your F1 coverage:

1. Do NOT hire James Allen.

2. Bring back The Chain as the theme tune. This is what the people want from F1. Not flashy graphics, not seamless punditry, just turning on the telly of a Sunday afternoon to hear ?bumm bu-bu-bumm bu-bu-bububu-bummm?? and then that ace bit where it gets all exciting and the guitar goes ?nangnangnangnangnangnangah!? NB: This MUST coincide with a shot of an F1 car bottoming out and sparks coming off the bottom. It?s THE LAW.

3. Do NOT hire James Allen.

That is all.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Top Gear's Richard Hammond in pole to take over F1 coverage on BBC
Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond
Adam Sherwin, Media Correspondent

It could be ?hello Richard Hammond? and ?goodbye Gary Lineker? after a dramatic day during which broadcasters battled for Britain?s most popular sports rights.

Hammond, the Top Gear presenter who survived a high-speed crash, is in pole position to become the face of Formula One after the BBC reclaimed the sport in a ?200 million deal.

In a surprise move, ITV dumped Formula One after 12 years, claiming that it was not commercially viable despite the emergence of Lewis Hamilton as a British contender for the world championship.

The BBC plans a ?brighter, bolder, faster? presentation, screening races live via broadband and mobile phones as well as conventional television.
Related Links

* ITV looks for winning formula after F1 loss

* Return of the Mac as TV rights go for a song

* Revolutionary new coverage to reinvent sport

But last night ITV claimed victory in the sports battle after retaining rights to live midweek Champions League football, which is vital for the network?s ratings and advertisers.

The football deal means Gary Line-ker and Alan Hansen, the BBC?s top pundits, have little top-flight action to justify their ?2 million three-year contracts. The BBC has also lost the FA Cup and live England matches.

ITV is believed to have offered Adrian Chiles, the popular presenter of the BBC The One Show, a ?750,000-a-year position as the ?face of football?, with the Champions League as a lure. There will be plenty for Lineker and Hansen to do, the BBC insisted. The BBC will screen live games from the Championship next year, offering fixtures such as Scunthorpe United versus Colchester.

The Top Gear team, however, will be let loose in the Monte Carlo pit lane and Formula One?s other glamorous locations in an attempt to extend the audience beyond ?petrolheads?.

Murray Walker, the veteran commentator and never one for understatement, said he was ?absolutely flabbergasted? at the sport?s return to the BBC. However, MPs questioned the corporation?s decision to spend ?200 million on an event already shown on terrestrial television.

ITV activated a break clause in its contract with the motor sport?s governing body, Bernie Ecclestone?s Formula One Administration.

Races, which take place off-peak on Sundays and sometimes in the early hours, attract a relatively small audience compared with the six million who watch a midweek Champions League football match.

The BBC was offering a ?fresh face? and a commitment to exploit Formula One fully across radio, television and digital media during the five-year deal, Mr Ecclestone said.

Coverage will be influenced by the success of the Jeremy Clarkson-fronted Top Gear when the five-year deal begins next year. Dominic Coles, BBC director of sport rights, said: ?When Lewis Hamilton did a test lap on Top Gear it got more viewers than the Brazilian Grand Prix. Bernie was very impressed with the Top Gear proposition and there will be cross-fertilisation between the show and the races.?

Clarkson and James May, Hammond?s co-conspirators, will also join in the grand prix fun but insiders believe ?The Hamster? has a special affinity with drivers after his crash.

Web message boards yesterday urged the BBC to revive The Chain, the Fleetwood Mac theme which accompanied race coverage.

Walker said: ?I was lying in bed listening to the news this morning and I almost fell out of bed when I heard it. It?s an amazing development because I think ITV did and do a superb job.?

Andrew Mackinlay, the Labour MP, said Formula One should be shown on commercial television and the licence fee directed towards ?real, competitive? sport.

The BBC promised that money would not be diverted from coverage of grassroots sports.

Gearing up for trouble

? Richard Hammond was seriously injured after crashing a jet-powered dragster at 300mph

? Top Gear was accused of causing environmental damage after presenters drove across the Makgadikgadi salt pans in Botswana and a Scottish peat bog

? A race across the Arctic Circle was condemned by Greenpeace as ?highly irresponsible?

? The BBC had to apologise and pay damages to a Somerset parish council after Jeremy Clarkson rammed a pickup truck into a chestnut tree

? Stunts were criticised by MPs in 1999 for being ?obsessed with acceleration? while road safety campaigners called for the show to be scrapped claiming it ?glamourises speed?

? Clarkson was also criticised after saying the Daihatsu Copen was ?a bit ginger beer?, Cockney rhyming slang for ?queer?.

Source: Times database

Source

I really don't know what to think of this. I would love TG to do the coverage, as long as they can keep it informative and serious, but if they fool around ALL the time, it takes away from F1. And they should keep Brundle whatever they do.

Top Gear's Richard Hammond in pole to take over F1 coverage on BBC
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article3593917.ece

It could be ?hello Richard Hammond? and ?goodbye Gary Lineker? after a dramatic day during which broadcasters battled for Britain?s most popular sports rights.

Hammond, the Top Gear presenter who survived a high-speed crash, is in pole position to become the face of Formula One after the BBC reclaimed the sport in a ?200 million deal.

In a surprise move, ITV dumped Formula One after 12 years, claiming that it was not commercially viable despite the emergence of Lewis Hamilton as a British contender for the world championship.

The BBC plans a ?brighter, bolder, faster? presentation, screening races live via broadband and mobile phones as well as conventional television.

But last night ITV claimed victory in the sports battle after retaining rights to live midweek Champions League football, which is vital for the network?s ratings and advertisers.

The football deal means Gary Line-ker and Alan Hansen, the BBC?s top pundits, have little top-flight action to justify their ?2 million three-year contracts. The BBC has also lost the FA Cup and live England matches.

ITV is believed to have offered Adrian Chiles, the popular presenter of the BBC The One Show, a ?750,000-a-year position as the ?face of football?, with the Champions League as a lure. There will be plenty for Lineker and Hansen to do, the BBC insisted. The BBC will screen live games from the Championship next year, offering fixtures such as Scunthorpe United versus Colchester.

The Top Gear team, however, will be let loose in the Monte Carlo pit lane and Formula One?s other glamorous locations in an attempt to extend the audience beyond ?petrolheads?.

Murray Walker, the veteran commentator and never one for understatement, said he was ?absolutely flabbergasted? at the sport?s return to the BBC. However, MPs questioned the corporation?s decision to spend ?200 million on an event already shown on terrestrial television.

ITV activated a break clause in its contract with the motor sport?s governing body, Bernie Ecclestone?s Formula One Administration.

Races, which take place off-peak on Sundays and sometimes in the early hours, attract a relatively small audience compared with the six million who watch a midweek Champions League football match.

The BBC was offering a ?fresh face? and a commitment to exploit Formula One fully across radio, television and digital media during the five-year deal, Mr Ecclestone said.

Coverage will be influenced by the success of the Jeremy Clarkson-fronted Top Gear when the five-year deal begins next year. Dominic Coles, BBC director of sport rights, said: ?When Lewis Hamilton did a test lap on Top Gear it got more viewers than the Brazilian Grand Prix. Bernie was very impressed with the Top Gear proposition and there will be cross-fertilisation between the show and the races.?

Clarkson and James May, Hammond?s co-conspirators, will also join in the grand prix fun but insiders believe ?The Hamster? has a special affinity with drivers after his crash.

Web message boards yesterday urged the BBC to revive The Chain, the Fleetwood Mac theme which accompanied race coverage.

Walker said: ?I was lying in bed listening to the news this morning and I almost fell out of bed when I heard it. It?s an amazing development because I think ITV did and do a superb job.?

Andrew Mackinlay, the Labour MP, said Formula One should be shown on commercial television and the licence fee directed towards ?real, competitive? sport.

The BBC promised that money would not be diverted from coverage of grassroots sports.

Repost!! :p

BIG BUMP!
From Eurosport
The eagerly-anticipated news of who will present BBC's F1 coverage from 2009 can finally be revealed. Read on to see who Auntie has chosen for the task...
The BBC has finalised its team of presenters for its coverage of Formula 1 from next year, it has been claimed, with Martin Brundle and David Coulthard on the bill - but no James Allen, Steve Rider or Mark Blundell.
With the Beeb set to reclaim the rights to broadcast the world's most expensive sport from ITV in 2009 - on a five-year contract - it has been revealed by Pitpass that the presenting team will be composed of ITV-F1 favourite Brundle alongside BBC Radio Five Live stalwart Jonathan Legard in the commentary booth, soon-to-retire Red Bull Racing ace Coulthard and Jake Humphrey fronting the programme in the studio and Lee McKenzie reprising the roles of Louise Goodman and Ted Kravitz as pit-lane reporter.
The addition of Brundle - who won a Royal Television Society award for Best Sports Pundit in 1998, 1999, 2005 and 2006 - will undoubtedly be a popular one amongst F1's fans, Michael Schumacher's former Benetton team-mate greatly embellishing the commentary with his dry sense of humour and witty insights.
Legard, for his part, has an excellent knowledge of the sport having commentated on it on Five Live since 1997, whilst Coulthard's name has long been linked to a role at Auntie, and the Scot's fresh, non-PC, outspoken nature will surely go down well with viewers.
Former children's TV presenter Humphrey is more of an unknown quantity within the top flight, though he has commentated throughout his career with the BBC on football - becoming the youngest-ever presenter of Football Focus and Match of the Day - American football, cricket, athletics and most recently the Beijing Olympics.
McKenzie - daughter of Daily Express F1 correspondent Bob McKenzie, who famously ran a lap of Silverstone naked back in 2004 after betting McLaren-Mercedes boss Ron Dennis that his team would not win a grand prix that season, a decision he ultimately came to regret when Kimi Raikkonen triumphed at Spa-Francorchamps - has experience of fronting Sky Sports' A1GP transmissions. McKenzie is a past recipient of the Jim Clark Memorial Award for people involved in motorsport, and along with Brundle is expected to front the majority of build-up features for the pre-race coverage.
Pitpass claims that with the BBC sticking to a significantly lower budget than did ITV, the intention is to keep Coulthard and Humphrey studio-based in London during grand prix weekends, though how this will fit in with the latter's prior commitments as a consultant for RBR remains to be seen.
The news means there is no room at the BBC inn for Allen, Rider, Blundell, Kravitz or Goodman, mirroring ITV's move in taking just one member of BBC's former team -legendary commentator Murray Walker - when it claimed the broadcasting rights in 1997.
James Allen is out of a job! Best news I've heard in years!

Looks a good team overall, should be very good coverage and with DC there quite funny as well, can't wait for the new season now, 3 more races then I'll never have to hear James Allen's Hamilton worship again!

Let's see, Brundle, Coulthard, and no James Allen. Oh sweet joy - it's excellent news.

It also means no itv-stream for us foreigners :(

But it means BBC live stream via anyone who can make the iPlayer available outside the UK.

On a side-note, whoever Lee McKenzie is, he/she must be joined by Ted Kravitz. If they got Martin to jump ship, and I suspect they already have, even though he's not admitting it (neither did Murray throughout '96), they should have also got Ted, since in recent times his pit lane reporting has been very good.