BRexit : Shall UK stay in EU or go now?

How could it not be the British at fault? They started the process, now they don't like what it has turned into.
Think of it like a divorce, where one partner wants to split and the other wants to stay together, but there is no divorce court to make any final judgments, the two spouses are entirely on their own to figure it out.

More like one spouse wants to stay together, the other is conflicted, but thinks that maybe sort of separating would be okay, but they have to cut one of the kids in half.

More like one spouse wants to stay together, the other is conflicted, but thinks that maybe sort of separating would be okay, but they have to cut one of the kids in half.
all while the part of the conflicted spouse that does want to leave promises heaven and the sky to that spouse

You have to grimace at the irony. These idiots saying another referendum would be a betrayal of democracy yet it looks like they are going to put what is basically the same deal to a third vote next week.

You have to grimace at the irony. These idiots saying another referendum would be a betrayal of democracy yet it looks like they are going to put what is basically the same deal to a third vote next week.
@Beni made the same point over lunch today. It shows you that it is not about democracy or what the people want, but about ensuring power for the respective party through re-election in leave-leaning constituencies (same's true for Labour, sadly).

Time for a prorogue?

Third Brexit vote must be different - Speaker

John Bercow has ruled out another vote on the government's previously rejected Brexit agreement if the motion remains "substantially the same".

He told MPs parliamentary conventions dating back to 1604 meant they could not be asked to vote on precisely the same subject twice in the same session.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47614074

So unless normal rules are suspended or parliament suspend proceedings before a new session starts... the government can't put forward the same deal again for a vote.

And the same people who try to have parliament vote for the third time on the same thing say a second referendum is out of the question because the first one was final.
This whole thing is just a farce.

Reactions: MWF
Some of the Brexiteers think this is a great opportunity, and are trying to revive the 'Malthouse Compromise'...

As the EU was pretty clear that May's deal is the only deal, this leaves us with three options, or rather, two and a half:
  • No Deal
  • No Brexit
  • Second Referendum on No Deal vs. No Brexit

Do you wanna stay?
No

Do you wanna go?
No

Wtf do you want?
Fish and chips

Also, funny stuff by that French minister calling her cat Brexit. "She wakes me up with loud meows to go out, then when I open the door she just stand there and doesn't leave" (paraphrasing here, cos it was actually bullshit, but pretty good troll).

I honestly can't tell you who I dislike more - May, who took 3 years negotiating a deal she doesn't have a mayority for (and should have known that)- or Corbyn the ambigious tosspot that will do everything to get into power, even sink the ship he's on.

Sorry Brits, you're fucked. I think (and I never in a thousand years thought I would say this) it's time for your Monarch to get involved ...

In theory she is the head of the government and still wields supreme power over the Parliament. In reality it is not likely that she would do anything overtly, that would truly be a middle finger to democracy.

So, Brexit status quo snap analysis by Dr_Grip:
1. It'll be hard Brexit, even though the only option left on the table is Remain.
  • By blaming the current disaster fair and square on MPs, thus alienating them, May ruled out the last chance she has to get her deal approved, even if Bercrow falters and allows a vote
  • Theoretically, the only course in line with the House of Commons' voting now would be to stop Brexit:
    • An Article 50 extension without deal has been ruled out by Tusk
    • No deal has been ruled out by Parliament
    • May's deal has been ruled out by parliament
  • But we all know she won't do that, which leaves No Deal by accident as the logical conclusion
2. Despite all that, May is the best Prime Minister available right now.

Let's look at who is in line for the Tories:
  • Boris Johnson, a man so vile that even half a Conservative cabinet will step down if he becomes PM
  • Jacob Rees-Moog, a man who has not worked a single day in his whole life, preferring to live off his wife's inheritance, basically emboides everything that is wrong with the disconnected, entitled upper class.
  • Amber Rudd, whose treatment of the Windrush scandal (the way she dealt with it, independent of whether you agree that the "hostile environment" policy is unworthy of any liberal democracy) shows she is not fit for office
But it's not better on the Labour side:
  • Corbyn throwing a temper tantrum and storming out of a eleventh-hour Brexit meeting at No. 10 because the Independent Group was represented once more proved he can not be trusted with power
  • Sadiq Khan would be a brilliant PM, but I do not see the Post-Brexit British public voting for a brown muslim any time soon
  • Is there anyone else?
Maybe Morrissey could run for the BNP...

Last edited:
I also found this documentary on British politics:

I think I posted this before, but since the shit is getting really really close to the fan, it is time again.

It is to bad that reason and common sense has let it get this far, they should be the leash that reigns things like this in.

I've signed it and been monitoring the numbers. I estimate it's attracting 2000-2500 new signatories every minute at the moment.

Which means in theory at least, in less than 5 days' time more people will have signed the petition than voted leave back in 2016.

Considering that you lot have only a week left to pull the plug on this, that speed is needed.

Good luck... :)