• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Bridge to Sicily going forward.

Olds442

Italy has chosen a winner for the 4.4bn euro ($5.3bn; ?3bn) contract to build the world's longest suspension bridge that will link Sicily to the mainland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4334830.stm

That's one long suspension bridge.

so why were the ferry dudes on a straike lately? they'll get fired anyways once that bridge is there

Sweet, longest bridge. Its going to be huge! Two six-lane highways and railroad tracks!

Its gonne be definitely nice engineering, but I dont really see the point. What's wrong with the current ferry system?

current system is too slow and we all know that cars are the fastest vehicles on earth (thanks to Top Gear) 8)

How much time does it take by ferry? Is it a big bottleneck for transportation?

It says in the article at least 2 hours, or 4km by car.

:oops: For some reason I started reading the article from "Mixed views" onwards. Anyway, 2hours isnt that short thats true. But how's traffic? Is traffic exceeding the capacity of the ferries? How many people travel on an avarage day between Sicily and the mainlan?

My point is, that if the ferry system is not overloaded and works just fine, and if there are no considerable amount of travellers on a daily basis, then the bridge is just and engineering show off, that will cost hell lot of a money that could probably be spent elsewhere.

pdanev said:
:oops: For some reason I started reading the article from "Mixed views" onwards. Anyway, 2hours isnt that short thats true. But how's traffic? Is traffic exceeding the capacity of the ferries? How many people travel on an avarage day between Sicily and the mainlan?

My point is, that if the ferry system is not overloaded and works just fine, and if there are no considerable amount of travellers on a daily basis, then the bridge is just and engineering show off, that will cost hell lot of a money that could probably be spent elsewhere.

Those are exactly the main critics, but since when the Italians are reasonable?