British auto journos declare Nissan GT-R dogs bollocks

ahpadt

Forum Addict
The first round of reviews hit the 'Net yesterday in what was apparently a Euro-only embargo on driving impressions of the Nissan GT-R. The jurors from AutoExpress, Car and the Telegraph all came away from the drive with one resounding statement: this thing is fast! Adding that the brakes are the most impressive of any production car currently on sale. Lofty praise, no doubt.

While Car could barely contain its enthusiasm, AutoExpress and the Telegraph seemed to provide a more honest critique of the GT-R as a whole. AE's Oliver Marriage and Car's Gavin Green had some diverging viewpoints on how the GT-R handles low-speed cruising, but both recommend that jaunts around town are best when the seven-speed gearbox is left in "D." AutoExpress' scribe and the Telegraph's Andrew English were less than impressed with the ride quality of Nissan's new supercar, despite the dampers being set to "comfort" mode, with English saying that "even a Porsche 911 GT3 rides better."

A few other choice quotes include Green saying that the GT-R is "quick enough to make a Porsche 911 Turbo feel unexciting," continuing, "Quite simply, the new GT-R is the world's most multi-faceted supercar... An M3 beater? Easily. M5? Think higher. This car is faster, more high-tech, sharper, more capable."

We absolutely, positively can't wait to get behind the wheel.

gt-r_brit_drive_450-op.jpg

Seems to be a great car. Personally tho, I'm not too keen on it.

I really think it looks nice...it's interesting to see how many people find it ugly!

Time, I do not think, will be kind to this car. Especially the design. It looks like the 350z, in a passing way, except very much uglier.

Z06 will stomp this thing all over town when it hits the street.

Freakin' sweet...I just got my press credentials, and you can bet I'll get my hands on the first one in Canada!

Time, I do not think, will be kind to this car. Especially the design. It looks like the 350z, in a passing way, except very much uglier.

Z06 will stomp this thing all over town when it hits the street.

Supercars.net ! = FinalGear.com

Personally, not too big on the looks (does look quite sick in race trim and black) but seems to be able to make up for that with it's performance. (wonders how much it would take to make the carbon-fiber inserts that were on the concepts front bumper.)

I really think it looks nice...it's interesting to see how many people find it ugly!

It looks about average just like the old car. You have to remember to compare it to the newest generation of cars. Of course its more stylish than an '02 Accord. but have you seen the new one??

Point of Information :

The phrase is always "The Dogs Bollocks" see thread title.

GT-R is kind of an enigma really - stuffed full of every electronic gizmo that Nissan can find for the one purpose - Go Faster, now that I approve of.

Yea, it definitely doesn't look as good as the R34, or even the GTR Concept, the front-end is just too tame. But from all the reviews it does seem very quick. There's always aftermarket body kits to make it more agressive.

Supercars.net ! = FinalGear.com

Personally, not too big on the looks (does look quite sick in race trim and black) but seems to be able to make up for that with it's performance. (wonders how much it would take to make the carbon-fiber inserts that were on the concepts front bumper.)

Just for your information, a Z06 just last week ran 10.98 in the 1/4 mile bone stock down to the air filter, on the factory run-flat (horrible for performance) tires. This is not even the first time a Z06 has run 10's completely stock. I know this does not amount to much on a road course, but I did say "street" in my post. The z06 is nearly 800 pounds lighter, and has 35 more hp. Not to mention way more torque.

If I am sounding biased, its because I am. I hate Nissan, and I hate this car, it is far to ugly to like.

The looks are starting to grow on me. It's not exactly pretty but defenitely sexy in a masculine, dramatic way. Considering all the technology that's beneith the skin and that it has performance to shame a 911 turbo, but is a third cheaper then on paper at least it's a mouthwatering prospect. Though as it was designed as a everyday car it's a shame to hear about the bad ride quality. Still, I love it.

Just for your information, a Z06 just last week ran 10.98 in the 1/4 mile bone stock down to the air filter, on the factory run-flat (horrible for performance) tires. This is not even the first time a Z06 has run 10's completely stock. I know this does not amount to much on a road course, but I did say "street" in my post. The z06 is nearly 800 pounds lighter, and has 35 more hp. Not to mention way more torque.

If I am sounding biased, its because I am. I hate Nissan, and I hate this car, it is far to ugly to like.

That's great if you drag, but the GT-R is still faster around the Nurburgring than the Z06.