British Election Thread

Indeed, it was - for me at least - a constant facepalm as the results came in. I'm ashamed of much of the North West - specifically the Greater Manchester area - for letting Labour back in, especially as it wasn't so long ago that they were trying to get the congestion charge down everybody's throats. Which got rebuked as we know, but still...rrrrr! *makes lots of shouty noises*

Still, in my home constituency (Rossendale & Darwen) the Tories got in which whilst that isn't ideal, it is one in the eye for Labour and their candidate Janet Anderson (of whom was one of those caught red-handed in the expenses scandal, read about the tens of thousands she claimed for here).

Regards,

Yickle!

wow

what an absolute cunt she is.... claimed 155k in 06-07 and then 173k in 07-08....... for doing what exactly?

just flagrant abuse of the system. they all retort with "but ive done nothing wrong, thats what the rules allow"... well yes, but even a child could see that despite the simple/lax rules.... stuff like this is clearly taking advantage of and abusing the system. just because the rules dont say its wrong doesnt mean it isnt. its just astonishing how they can claim 300k to basically fund their lifestyle, using tax payer money and thing that its absolutely fine.

clearly when those rules on expenses were written, there must of been an assumed level of trust and self restraint within the members. for example, if given the keys to the store and told you can help your self, i would suspect most people might be sensible and adult about it, taking roughly what they need. i know id feel a bit wrong a guilty about taking more than was warranted. this bunch of crooks went in like a kid with the keys to the sweet shop and just annihilated it.

they should be in jail, but we all know that wont happen.

"Because of the unique way the BBC is funded, by donations from First Sea Lord Murdoch, bless him, the pen doesn't work."

Err..

Please tell me that's not from one of the articles I quoted....

(it's 12:20am, I've been awake since 7am and I've spent the last 6 hours trying to work on an essay. I blame the stupid essay, not my procrastination.)

Last edited:
Please tell me that's not from one of the articles I quoted....

(it's 12:20am, I've been awake since 7am and I've spent the last 6 hours trying to work on an essay. I blame the stupid essay, not my procrastination.)
I made it up.

Tried to think of a prestigeus position, were only able to think of First Sea Lord. Although he could be the first mouser of the Cabinet office.

Cameron made an offer to the Lib Dems.

Which was effectively "do what we say, we'll scrap ID cards and er... let you into the Cabinet. To take the bins out. Now chop chop, got a country to run."

I made it up.

Tried to think of a prestigeus position, were only able to think of First Sea Lord. Although he could be the first mouser of the Cabinet office.

Shit. I just got what you wrote in the first place. Now I feel like a major idiot :lol:
(good call though :D)

Cameron made an offer to the Lib Dems.

Which was effectively "do what we say, we'll scrap ID cards and er... let you into the Cabinet. To take the bins out. Now chop chop, got a country to run."

Noticed that, all the political commentators on the BBC live coverage thingy are being very restrained in what they say about it :lol:

You tought Cameron had promised Rupert Murdoch the position of First Sea Lord? :lol:

:p

Clegg will demand electoral and parliamentary reform, along with reinstating civil liberties and taxing the rich.

If Cameron accepts he will look weak within his party who vehemently oppose everything listed above.

somehow i get the feeling that if Brown goes (and its a bloody good feeling at that), Khan will be one of those who goes for the leadership bid between Mandelson (he's probably already sharpening his knives and humming the Darth Vader theme), Miliband and the Home Secretary bloke (i forgot his name, its 3:30am! thats my excuse!)

i love watching Paxman interviewing politicians, its like watching someone beat someone else over the head with a baseball bat yelling "SHUT UP! I'M TALKING HERE!"

Kahn appears to be a pretty good guy,

Mandy will have to resign his peerage to stand for leader,

Milliband is too young and bland.

Clegg will demand electoral and parliamentary reform, along with reinstating civil liberties and taxing the rich.

If Cameron accepts he will look weak within his party who vehemently oppose everything listed above.

He won't demand that, otherwise he will be just another failed Lib Dem leader. He has already said that the economy comes before any electoral reform. Still too much difference between Lib/Con for a coalition though.

somehow i get the feeling that if Brown goes (and its a bloody good feeling at that), Khan will be one of those who goes for the leadership bid between Mandelson (he's probably already sharpening his knives and humming the Darth Vader theme), Miliband and the Home Secretary bloke (i forgot his name, its 3:30am! thats my excuse!)

If Mandy goes for the leadership that's Labour out of the game for a decade. The electorate trust him about as much as Alastair Campbell.

True, but can the Conservatives actually form a coalition without the Lib Dems?

As a someone from outside Britain, I hope that a minority means that Cameron can't pay Murdoch back for all his reach-arounds by crippling the BBC. In the eerily similar situation in this part of the world back when we first started getting minority governments - roughly the same party makeup, roughly the same leaders (Paul Martin was roughly as charismatic as Brown, though now we've gotten better, Stephen Harper is like Cameron except with a hilarious image of him unintentionally dressing like a gay cowboy floating around, Layton's like Clegg with a mustache) minority means that the conservatives can't do anything too retarded, maybe that'll be the same way there.

I kinda hope Labour goes through a Liberal-esque search for a leader, first getting a wiener with a difficult to understand accent and then finally just going for some guy who was standing around when that doesn't work. Then we can tell your future, haha!

Though I suppose you don't have to deal with an equivalent to the Bloc Quebecois, a political party whose sole purpose is to hate Canada, which is only in Quebec. They get a relatively high number of seats for just being French.

Last edited:
True, but can the Conservatives actually form a coalition without the Lib Dems?

No.

The only party that he can conceivably ally with is the DUP, with 7 votes. So that would get him to 314 - the magic number is 326.

Watched BBC coverage - David Dimbleby is quite annoying, cuts off people, and does not allow anything coherent. Whats more is every media talking head wanted someone to say "we win" so they could jump on their back. So when the person gives a metered answered they jumped on their back for not saying something more insane.

I think the one thing thats clear is the vote was for ANYONE WHO IS NOT BROWN. Clegg knows this and I think if he was to partner with Labour he would be giving himself cement shoes. Helping Brown maintain power would alienate some of his voters, all of the Conservatives, and some of Labour. If the LibDem's partner with the Conservatives the look more moderate and might gain voters down the road from Labour voters.

As we've spoken a lot about 1931, they could do what MacDonald actually did in 1931; form a National Government with the Tories and Labor.

At least it would be humorous.

Edit: And Lord... Mandelson did mention that polling showed that while a lot of people didn't want Brown as their leader, a larger proportion didn't want Cameron, or something in that manner.

Sure, Lord... Mandelson is a twat, and it wouldn't be the first time he's lying, so anybody have any numbers regarding it?

Last edited:
No.

The only party that he can conceivably ally with is the DUP, with 7 votes. So that would get him to 314 - the magic number is 326.

The magic number is really 321, as Sinn Fein don't take up their seats. An alliance would never happen with the DUP anyway. The only other party that might would be the Greens but they only have 1 seat anyway.

Also from an American who watched the smug turn up their nose at the situation in Florida in 2000 and now the UK had difficulties. Democracy is messy and a weekend of voting might be the answer. If you can change your voting style it might make it over the pond to us.

No.

I wouldn't be so sure. There are areas of common ground which they could use the majority to push through. When they run out of common ground just go for another election.