Bruno would be a swell guest to have on Top Gear

This thread has "swell" in its name.

Groovy. Rad. Tubular.

(Sorry, I really have nothing but obnoxiousness to add. :cool:)

Why on Earth would this be a good idea? The purpose of characters like Bruno or Borat is to make fun of the uninformed, the bigoted and the stupid. We laugh at their reactions to the characters, as they have no idea it's a send-up. Having them on the show as the character completely defeats the purpose. You then just have 10 minutes of "Verr'Nice" or "Vassup!" and who wants to see that shit?

It's like watching Little Britain Live and having the characters come out and spit out a catchphrase, whilst everyone in the audience inanely claps away, before annoying the shit out of you in the office the next day.

Indeed, but then there is a character on Top Gear that seems to confuse a lot of people already; is it any surprise that some people might assume that TG might have Bruno rather than SBC on.

This thread has "swell" in its name.

Groovy. Rad. Tubular.

(Sorry, I really have nothing but obnoxiousness to add. :cool:)

How about splendicular

Now imagine if in this video it were Clarkson, Hammond, or May...OR all of three of them at same time + Stig wearing a knitted penis. Comeeee ooon entertainment value would totally go through the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL1iveThBEk

I'm sorry but I have to echo Mineworksfine here. No, just please no.

Why on Earth would this be a good idea? The purpose of characters like Bruno or Borat is to make fun of the uninformed, the bigoted and the stupid. We laugh at their reactions to the characters, as they have no idea it's a send-up. Having them on the show as the character completely defeats the purpose. You then just have 10 minutes of "Verr'Nice" or "Vassup!" and who wants to see that shit?

If that's what he was doing he'd at least have a chance to be funny.

Bruno and Borat and Ali G. are nothing but shock characters. That's it, there's no underlying social commentary in how he makes fun of the uninformed and bigoted, because he goes after everybody and it's simply for shock value.

He purposely goes to areas where his schtick has a chance to get those reactions. It's pure s(c)h(l)ock.

Jackal - you're utterly wrong, there are plenty of social undertones behind his humor, is there the shock factor? Yes! And in words of metallica "so fucking what?"

One of his messages is that people shouldn't take life so damn seriously, loosen up a bit, yet not be ignorant goofballs either.

There is more to life then being bitter at the society, being insecure and compensating miserably for it by acting like a know-better-than-everyone-else-i-sit-behind-a-computer-all-day-long-and-read-slashdot.org

Jackal - you're utterly wrong, there are plenty of social undertones behind his humor, is there the shock factor? Yes! And in words of metallica "so fucking what?"

Where? What's the social undertone involved with rolling a guy out in a costume design to illicit one response...attention.

There's some underlying social commentary about cultural differences or ignorance in his standing there with a sling thong bikini in Borat?

How about his grinding Eminem?

How about the excessive amount of full male frontal in Bruno? Is that some commentary about how the movie industry is intentionally suppressing the beauty of the wedding veg?

It's just about shock.

One of his messages is that people shouldn't take life so damn seriously, loosen up a bit, yet not be ignorant goofballs either.

I'll ask again, how does wandering around in his characters making lewd comments or just blarfing out some crap at unsuspecting people make that happen?

People like him and Howard Stern drive me nuts because they just go out looking for shock value and the cheap laugh and throw it under the guise of commentary.

I love a good fart joke, I love a good racist joke, but he's a one trick pony. He's done the ghetto rapper, he's done the backwater Eastern Eurpoean, now he's doing the gay...he's running out of stereotypes to mask his shock schlock in.

Next will be a woman, a religious conservative and then probably another black.

All with the same end result, "let me just say the most outrageous thing or dress in the most outrageous costume to get a reaction".

There is more to life then being bitter at the society, being insecure and compensating miserably for it by acting like a know-better-than-everyone-else-i-sit-behind-a-computer-all-day-long-and-read-slashdot.org

slashdot's for insecure, bitter, failures.

I'm only bitter and insecure, that's why I read FinalGear.

Last edited:
Jackal so we totally disagree on Cohen and yet by accident we are 100% in agreement on slashdot. It is a start somebody for the first time ever on FG agrees with me on something.

How about no.

Actually, how about no fucking way in hell should he even be popular let alone be on TG.

None of his characters are even remotely funny. It's all shock comedy with him and shock comedy just isn't funny. All Cohen does is use every fucking retarded stereotype he can come up with to get laughs. That's not being funny, that's being a smug piece of shit.

It's like watching Little Britain Live and having the characters come out and spit out a catchphrase, whilst everyone in the audience inanely claps away, before annoying the shit out of you in the office the next day.

Catchphrase?

Like erm.....

How hard can it be?
Some say....
That's not gone well.
I've not had my teeth done
Great news.....
POWER-R-R-R-R-R
Saweeeeeetttt!

;)

I can agree with Sacha, but possibly not if he's going to be stuck in character.

The only person that the above would be acceptable would be Stephen Colbert IMO.

+1 for that idea, Stephen Colbert on Top Gear... now that just is just made of pure win! I extremely doubt it could happen but just the thought of a Colbert / clarkson interview is enough to get me drooling.

Only if he's being drawn and quartered with heavy machinery.

Otherwise, I'm in the "Oh Hell No" Camp.

no NO NO NO!

please keeps everything Sascha-baron-whats-his-face related out of our carshow ........Just as I couldent start hating that guy any more he came up with this fag bruno crap......

Pfft all I got to say is,

"What?s up with it, Vanilla face? Me and my homie Azamat just parked our slab outside. We?re looking for somewhere to post up our Black asses for the night. So, uh, bang bang, skeet skeet. Just a couple of pimps, no hos."

How about no.

Actually, how about no fucking way in hell should he even be popular let alone be on TG.

None of his characters are even remotely funny. It's all shock comedy with him and shock comedy just isn't funny. All Cohen does is use every fucking retarded stereotype he can come up with to get laughs. That's not being funny, that's being a smug piece of shit.

His characters are deliberately extreme. The comedy is all about how his naive interviewees, believing that they are being interviewed by a legitimate interviewer, respond to these ridiculous characters. Forget the films, they are just ways of making money, focus on the original interviews.

Ali-G was funny because the interviewees variously tried to patiently explain things to this 'youth', or actually tried to engage with him 'at his level'. Look at Neil Hamilton smoking a spliff vs Tony Benn laying down the law.

Borat was about having a supposedly extreme bigot trying to learn about an alien culture and the interviewees variously politely tolerating him or, more tellingly, actively engaging in his bigotry.

It's pretty obvious what he's doing with Bruno.

You're not supposed to like the characters, that's the point.

no NO NO NO!

please keeps everything Sascha-baron-whats-his-face related out of our carshow ........Just as I couldent start hating that guy any more he came up with this fag bruno crap......

Br?no was part of the Ali G show from the very beginning in 2000, so your comment makes little sense... :rolleyes:

Sacha Baron Cohen could be a good guest, if he were to appear on Top Gear. Not as one of his characters though, that would be against the point those serve.

I do wonder though what sort of humor people on here like...I've always been sort of an elitist in that respect, I enjoyed watching Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Dave Attell (Alltel), Daniel Tosh, Chris Rock, Robin Williams But I never got into acts of more mainstream people like Ellen, or Katt Williams, Cedric Entertainer, Dane Cook, or worst of all Carlos Mencia.

Reason I like Cohen is because again he points out the stupidity of people, for example check out the "throw jew down the well" video and in itself it's a very offending song right? Well his southern audience started clapping to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo

or when Bruno interviews macho wrestling team assholes, and then they get all pissed at him when he says, "say hello to gay Austrian TV".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa3TLhrErWU

or Alabama showing its passion for freedom, but not for gays' freedom of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnB5vqObkLw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kHk4RFAROg&feature=related

Last edited: