Budget timelapse and night skies camera

Interrobang

Forum Addict
Looking for some general tips and recommendations: With the blood moon recently and other things, the limitations of my compact camera, it's 5xoptical zoom and limited options for taking pictures in general have become apparent to me.
Thing is, I have a pretty great view of the moon and the night sky from my place (very little light pollution) and I could have made a lot of good Photos this last year since moving here - but my little point and klick just isn't up to the task. And I would also love to do some (mostly) night sky timelapses.

I'm also not sure what I want in terms of optical zoom. I know 5x is too little to capture the moon in a decent picture - but is 50x nessecary?

Budget - I'm not sure. Second hand is fine. I am not ready to spend much money on a camera that I will only be using on very few occasions. I like my point and click camera generally for trips and for daily stuff I rely on my cellphone. That's not going to change, I won't be carrying bulky photo equipment on trips. So I am not ready spending something like 500€ - yet (maybe some years down the road). Can I get something decent for (let's say) 200€ or below on the second hand market?

And yes, I have a tripod.

I'd recommend a second-hand DSLR or mirrorless camera plus lenses, but on your budget, even that will prove to be tricky. However, I've not had a reason to check eBay listings and the like for quite some time, so perhaps you can find something appropriate these days. My preference would still be for a DSLR because the market for lenses and accessories is just so much bigger, giving you more choice and better prices.

As for zoom lenses, bear in mind that you'd have to get a relatively high-end lens for night photography because the cheap ones won't give you anything like the maximum aperture that you'll want/need. I'd probably go for a better camera body with higher resolution sensor and ISO values over a more expensive telephoto lens. That way, you can use a shorter lens and/or focal length with larger aperture, then crop your photos and still end up with decent quality. And if you do decide to get a better telephoto lens later on, you'll already have a decent camera to use it with.

So just a quick Update and a thank you for your input. It really comes down to a question of price and I'm not going to throw the kind of money at something like this that I won't use but on special occasions (like last night). I am not ready to spend what I would need to just for taking (let's say) 20 Pictures per year.
But thank you for you for your recommendations, it really helped making up my mind.