Bugatti Chiron (Veyron successor) spied during testing

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 C4
Couple of pictures of the Chiron testing, still in the dress of a Veyron.

Erlkoenig-Bugatti-fotoshowImage-a6a4250f-823551.jpg

Erlkoenig-Bugatti-fotoshowImage-498c613-823554.jpg

Erlkoenig-Bugatti-fotoshowImage-bc198b8-823557.jpg

Erlkoenig-Bugatti-fotoshowImage-29f92017-823561.jpg

Erlkoenig-Bugatti-fotoshowImage-ed94de4b-823570.jpg

That VW steering wheel :lol:

Obviously the car will get a new design for it's release. The Veyron body is just for testing purposes.

A couple of facts for those who don't know:

- still the same 8 liter W16 engine, 1500 hp
- turbochargers now with electric help (Audi RS5 TDi-like I guess, instant spool)
- Torkwe gets electronically limited to 1498 NM (which is 2 less than the Super Sport...?)
- 2 seconds for 0-100 km/h
- a top speed of 463 km/h in Bugattis simulator
- ICE gets the help of an electric motor, therefor the Chiron is gonna be a hybrid

full article (in german)

A couple of facts for those who don't know:

- still the same 8 liter W16 engine, 1500 hp
- turbochargers now with electric help (Audi RS5 TDi-like I guess, instant spool)
- Torkwe gets electronically limited to 1498 NM (which is 2 less than the Super Sport...?)
- 2 seconds for 0-100 km/h
- a top speed of 463 km/h in Bugattis simulator
- ICE gets the help of an electric motor, therefor the Chiron is gonna be a hybrid

full article (in german)
:blink:

How do you replace the greatest car ever made?
More poweeeeeer. :clarkson:

Hopefully they will do a little more than add on a hybrid system to a otherwise unchanged Veyron and call it a day.

I'm guessing they will, but they did spend a truckload of money on the Veyron and keeping as much as possible of the original car would help keep the costs sensibel...

If it does the same kind of leap that Ferrari did with the Enzo to LaFerrari, or Porsche did with the GT to 918, it's going to be fucking ridiculous.

Maybe, if it didn't have the HAY GUISE LOOK I'M A SECRET TEST MULE squares all over it.

I was thinking the exact thing. The body is the same, so why have that crap on there?

That's a sorry excuse for a camouflage.

Well, the fit and finish of this mule leaves a lot to be desired? So perhaps, by covering it in this sort of camouflage, it lets anyone who sees it know that this isn't a production model, so don't take its appearance to be that of a production model.

That's a sorry excuse for a camouflage.

A new car hidden in the body of an old car. It's the perfect camo, innit?

Maybe, if it didn't have the HAY GUISE LOOK I'M A SECRET TEST MULE squares all over it.

I was thinking the exact thing. The body is the same, so why have that crap on there?

Well, the fit and finish of this mule leaves a lot to be desired? So perhaps, by covering it in this sort of camouflage, it lets anyone who sees it know that this isn't a production model, so don't take its appearance to be that of a production model.

Its common practice to test a new car in an old car's body, and since you're testing out parts not intended for the body, the cars are often cobbled together and look really shoddy, but I am surprised that they bothered to put the camo stickers on it. Yes the fit and finish is crap, but so what, it always is on mules and this isn't the first time Bugatti is testing something in that body

1tfR6it.jpg

Seeing as how that looks exactly like a Veyron, I'm guessing this is soley a powertrain mule. Either that or the Chiron will have a near identical chassis configuration/dimension - otherwise it would be more cut up. Take the ND Miata for instance, when they were testing it in the NC body, they had to do a lot of work to get the new bits to fit, yet because its so cobbled together and gave no indication of the new body, they didn't bother camoing it

yFjQySH.jpg

My guess is that Bugatti just threw those stickers on to attract attention and grow hype as a PR things since everyone knows they're working on something new and they didn't want people to think this is just another Veyron. If they were actually serious about keeping this thing a secret, they (a) would not have camo'ed it to blend in and (b) would not have let so many people linger around it taking photos. Last time I saw a non-Ford mule was in Pittsburgh 2 weeks ago (Buick maybe?) and the guy sped off as soon as he saw I was taking pictures. Granted, it was much closer to production than this.

Bugatti could've even gone further and plastered hashtags all over it like Jaguar did with the XF wagon.

ZTqnJ67.jpg

Last edited:
HSV camo? Relegation it is!

That angular camo makes me associate the car with european fascists, they love symbols without round edges. And that Polo steering wheel is great :lol:
Go mules!

Its common practice to test a new car in an old car's body, and since you're testing out parts not intended for the body, the cars are often cobbled together and look really shoddy, but I am surprised that they bothered to put the camo stickers on it. Yes the fit and finish is crap, but so what, it always is on mules and this isn't the first time Bugatti is testing something in that body

1tfR6it.jpg

Seeing as how that looks exactly like a Veyron, I'm guessing this is soley a powertrain mule. Either that or the Chiron will have a near identical chassis configuration/dimension - otherwise it would be more cut up. Take the ND Miata for instance, when they were testing it in the NC body, they had to do a lot of work to get the new bits to fit, yet because its so cobbled together and gave no indication of the new body, they didn't bother camoing it

yFjQySH.jpg

My guess is that Bugatti just threw those stickers on to attract attention and grow hype as a PR things since everyone knows they're working on something new and they didn't want people to think this is just another Veyron. If they were actually serious about keeping this thing a secret, they (a) would not have camo'ed it to blend in and (b) would not have let so many people linger around it taking photos. Last time I saw a non-Ford mule was in Pittsburgh 2 weeks ago (Buick maybe?) and the guy sped off as soon as he saw I was taking pictures. Granted, it was much closer to production than this.

Bugatti could've even gone further and plastered hashtags all over it like Jaguar did with the XF wagon.

ZTqnJ67.jpg

Yes and no.

Yes, they will have put the stickers on to avoid people say "SAW 2 MILLION EURO CAR, WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT QUALITY". No, the Veyron and Chiron wouldn't have been "too" cut up because remember, the Veyron is basically a three-part puzzle between front, cabin and engine. So I think stretching it wouldn't be too noticeable on the body panels.

Also please notice:

- no wing
- changed ducts
- bigger brakes

What intrigues me the most is this

bugatti-chiron-spy-12-1.jpg

Why does it have an Emergency off labeled "Steering"?

Why does it have an Emergency off labeled "Steering"?

In case something like this happens.
The above was caused by a bad aftermarket HID install causing the electronic power assist steering system to freak out, but in a cobbled together mule it could also be possible. Better safe than sorry, especially in something this fast.

So it just cuts all the power steering and your on your own, I guess?

The video looks like a force feedback wheel on a pc going wrong.