Bugatti Prediction

Bugatti Prediction

• Total voters
That's like saying the space shuttle is a total waste of money because it uses 535,000 gallons/2.1million litres of fuel to leave the atmosphere and costs millions of tax payer's dollars.

Oh, it can go into space and further research our understanding of the solar system?... No that's not important.

It's a little different. Making a car that goes really fast does not improve human life.

Space is a huge mystery to the world and if we didn't explore it who knows what we'd be missing out on.

What I really don't like about the car is the extreme price tag. It's really insulting, most people wont even make that much money in their entire lifetime.
Yeah, I know what you mean. On the same basis, you must ask the question: how much does a man really need? Did Michael Schumacher need to earn 40.000.000 Euros a season? Maybe, cause he risked his life every time he got into the car. But how to you measure a life in money? How can he earn 1.000.000 times more than another guy with a normal job? Did MS work 1.000.000 longer? Did he work 1.000.000 harder? No, he didn't. But still, he got that money, and there are plenty of Celebrities and people you'll never hear of, that get just as much.

Who defines how much is enough, who defines hoch much is too much? How much do you really need to live? Regarding that VAG makes huge losses with every Veyron, it is too cheap. Regarding that I won't even come close to be able to afford it in my entire life, it is too expensive. But as there is no scale on the amount of money anybody should have, you can't say it is too expensive. From our point of view yes, but not from others. And ours is not the "right one", it's just "one" point of view.

Regards
the Interceptor

I like that idea, of the Bugatti being a complete package. Maybe there is something to it.

What I really don't like about the car is the extreme price tag. It's really insulting, most people wont even make that much money in their entire lifetime.

Well, while it may cost US$1.5M, give or take, doesn't it cost Volkswagon US$5M to make each one? If I remember correctly, they basically said, "It costs about the same cost to finance an F1 team for a couple seasons for publicity/advertising as it would to design and build one phenomenal uber-car." Building the one special car sounds like more fun, and has garnered them SOOOO much more press than if they were to spend the money on a couple of seasons of racing.

I don't care that it costs so much that only a few people can afford it. Virgin is going to charge US$200,000 for "several minutes in space."

The purpose of the car wasn't to make "A really great car that people can save up for," but more to built the BEST car ever.

Seeing the car is more of an event, too, due to how rare it is. A baseball game has the feeling of a picnic. The games happen so often, and les rides on each individual game. Football (american), on the other hand...at 3 times during any game, you are fully capable of murdering someone. (sort of a paraphrase from George Carlin)

Because it's more rare, it's more of an event. The Bugatti looks more expensive on the outside, seems more technically advanced and more luxurious and elegant on the inside...I can see how it costs so much more than, for example, a CCX.

Imagine there's a total freak out there who would lend his OWN Veyron to the TG team... I'm sure they couldn't be hindered from doing a few laps, could they...??? Or could Bugatti say "No, we dont want our car to be shown on TG"? :think:

It's a little different. Making a car that goes really fast does not improve human life.

That very much depends on the person. One could argue the global warming cause by the Shuttle, over time, does NOT improve human life. OR you could argue that if you could afford the Veyron, it would improve your life on the Esteem level of Maslow's hierarchy.

lighter and agile has an advantage over heavy and brute power on the TG track, i dont know if they Veyron would beat the CCX on their track. Theres only one fast straight to get any real speed and then you cant even go flat outt because the 2 terminating corners are so tight they neccessitate earlier braking.

Ed

Im hoping for a 1.16 or less... but considering how heavy it is, I dont know.

Remember the Chevy and the Indy car indoors... the lacetti wasnt that much slower... so consider that for every straightaway the veyron has to do on the track. :think:

(Yes I realize the grip difference on the indoor vs outdoor, but my point is how much space it has to accelerate before it has to brake.)

The track is much more technical than it is straight speed, although the Veyron could possibly make up a lot of time off the start and through the follow through with that wing up must make some massive downforce. It only has like 200 more hp than the ccx and about 1500 more pounds so I don't think we will see any records. I just hope it happens one day and I predict a plus 1:17 lap.

Im hoping for a 1.16 or less... but considering how heavy it is, I dont know.

Remember the Chevy and the Indy car indoors... the lacetti wasnt that much slower... so consider that for every straightaway the veyron has to do on the track. :think:

(Yes I realize the grip difference on the indoor vs outdoor, but my point is how much space it has to accelerate before it has to brake.)

You own a PT Cruiser and are there for unworthy of car talk.
lol Im kidding. But I see your point and even so I still think it will be the quickest, the monstrous power will be a factor and it's not like the car can't corner at all I mean I remember JC saying "it handles like an elise" ,I'm not saying that line is anywhere near true but I think it means the car can handle just fine, put that along with the power and you get the answer.

God I hope it is the fastest though, keeps the image complete :)

:lol: oh wait... :cry:

;)

although you can beat it in single disciplines, you will have a damn hard time to beat it in all of them.

Exactly. This is why i admire the Veyron and why i just can't care about these wannabes that set out to beat one single acheivement of it (Hennessy, Koenigsegg etc) for something to shout about. The Veyron isn't amazing because it's great at one thing. It's amazing because it's great at everything at the same time.

And that's why i wouldn't be dissapointed to see the Veyron go slower than a few other cars on the track, which i think it would...

Im my opinion all the Shuttle has been a big waste that has cost a lot of money, and sadly a lot of lives.

Age old Russian technology is more reliable, and won't explode if a sponge rubs against the side.

The Veyron is oh so totally worth it, although it's a shame they won't race it.

Sure!

So anyway, the birth. Ferdinand Piech, the head of VW at the time they bought Bugatti, asked his engineers to make a car that goes beyond 400 kph (250 mph) and has 1000 or more hp. With this milestone, he wanted to bring the rusty badge back to new life with a big bang. Many said it could not be done, at least not with the already chosen looks. Reaching those speeds would require very carefully chosen components and designs. However, they had to stick to it, and it seems they archieved it in the end.

So what is the Veyron, and why is it there? Is it just a marketing gag? The Japanese can generate 1000 hp and more with 6 Cylinders, so why 16? The Americans get 1000 hp out of 6 litres and less, so why 8? You can buy a Hennessey Viper, which has even more grunt, for a fraction of the Veyrons price, so why buy the Bugatti? Why did VW make it, if it all was there before?

... easy: because they were able to. The Veyron is a car that was supposed to (and obviously does) show what is possible in terms of a complete package. Yes, you can get cars with more hp out of less displacement and cylinders - but it won't be as smooth. Yes, you can get cars that go around corners faster, brake harder and use less fuel. But you'll never find a package as complete as this. Great comfort, almost unlimited power delivered smoothly and seamlessly, and - at least theoretically - every day useability. VW made a car that outclasses the majority of existing cars in almost every category, yet, you'll be able to go shopping with it, just like in a normal car.

How can you use a Veyron to go shopping. There is NO space for luggage at all. Not in the nose and not in the rear. I would say the MB SLR McLaren is the Veyrons clsoest rival in terms of SuperGT. That car does all the above plus carries luggage. Maybe not the overall power aspect. But I expect the Bug to be very close to the SLR around a track.

This Bugatti was made to show what can be done, and although you can beat it in single disciplines, you will have a damn hard time to beat it in all of them. Even if you hate it, you must admit that it is a masterpiece of engineering, and therefor deserves its place in the automobile hall of fame and in the mind of every petrolhead.

My issue is with all the press saying how its great because its a "Masterpiece of engineering"

Hardly. As you say every single aspect of this car can be done better. The power, the weight, the dimensions, the interior equipment, the luggage space etc etc.

If anything, its lazy car design. Theres not one thing in there thats new and amazing. 125 BHP per litre is pretty insignificant for a $1m car. Wheres the super rare materials? Wheres the innovation? Thats why the car needs 10 radiators, because they (Engineers) never sorted the cooling sufficiently. The engines not even covered and it overheats (3 killed water pumps on the official press launch which necessitates the car splitting in half) Clarkson talked about the Ricardo (British) Gearbox needing to be stronger than an F1 cars. But thats not the point. An F1 gearbox is the size of 2 bottles of wine. If they wanted to make one to handle 3000BHP they could but expect it to weigh loads.

If the Veyron weighed in at 1000KGs, was the size of a Ford Focus, was good looing (subjective that) I would say that was clever, but they just kept adding things to cure problems and thats why its ended up a) so expensive and b) so heavy.

Its not new engineering its just existing engineering beefed up for a purpose. Great, but thats not as amazing as they would have you believe. Lots of people talk of Concorde when they talk of the Veyron. Consider this. Before Concorde, no commercial plane looked like that or went that speed. And it stayed like that for 25? years. Before Veyron people had road cars that took more luggage, went faster, were lighter etc etc. So whats unique? What makes this a pinnacle of Automotive engineering?

Oh and over 1m18. I dont care about the cost of the thing. VAG make a loss because its cost $5M per car in terms of developing and tooling to bring to market. Might explain why VW are short of a few quid these days....

I expect a certain McLaren F1 owner to lend his car to TG (when he gets it) You may remember him from a programme on Channel 5 ;)

Last edited:
How can you use a Veyron to go shopping. There is NO space for luggage at all. Not in the nose and not in the rear.
Use the passenger seat. I would dare to use the Veyron for getting some things on a cold, wet winter morning. I wouldn't do that with a 1400 hp Hennessey Viper though. Would you?

I would say the MB SLR McLaren is the Veyrons clsoest rival in terms of SuperGT. That car does all the above plus carries luggage. Maybe not the overall power aspect. But I expect the Bug to be very close to the SLR around a track.
Apart from the McLaren F1, the SLR sure is the most practical supercar.

My issue is with all the press saying how its great because its a "Masterpiece of engineering"

Hardly. As you say every single aspect of this car can be done better. The power, the weight, the dimensions, the interior equipment, the luggage space etc etc.
Yes, but doing it all at the same time is the key. My Bimmer is much lighter than the Veyron. Is it the better car for that reason?

If anything, its lazy car design. Theres not one thing in there thats new and amazing.
It seems you know the car down to the last screw then, do you?

125 BHP per litre is pretty insignificant for a $1m car.
Show me where it says that a $1M car needs to have 125+ BHP per litre. I'm sorry, but this statement actually is insignificant.

Wheres the super rare materials?
Again, do you know what this car is made of in every single detail? And please also show me where it says that only rare materials qualify a car to be outstanding.

Wheres the innovation? Thats why the car needs 10 radiators, because they (Engineers) never sorted the cooling sufficiently. The engines not even covered and it overheats (3 killed water pumps on the official press launch which necessitates the car splitting in half)
The problem they had is that they had to cover the asked figures and use the given design at the same time. If they'd only have to cover the figures, they'd have a much easier job. But they had to squeeze all of that into the given shape, making cooling, airflow and aerodynamics very hard to handle. And I suppose I don't need to tell you that getting a car up to stable 407 kph is no fun.

Clarkson talked about the Ricardo (British) Gearbox needing to be stronger than an F1 cars. But thats not the point. An F1 gearbox is the size of 2 bottles of wine. If they wanted to make one to handle 3000BHP they could but expect it to weigh loads.
They sure could. But this one has to withstand the enormous forces of the engine and the grip of all four tires, and at the same time last for the rest of the cars life, ideally at least. This is another case of "you can do more than they did for the Veyron".

If the Veyron weighed in at 1000KGs, was the size of a Ford Focus, was good looking (subjective that) I would say that was clever, but they just kept adding things to cure problems and thats why its ended up a) so expensive and b) so heavy.
I stated above which problems they faced. So, if the Veyron is not amazing, name the vehicle that outclasses it in general.

Its not new engineering its just existing engineering beefed up for a purpose. Great, but thats not as amazing as they would have you believe. Lots of people talk of Concorde when they talk of the Veyron. Consider this. Before Concorde, no commercial plane looked like that or went that speed. And it stayed like that for 25? years. Before Veyron people had road cars that took more luggage, went faster, were lighter etc etc. So whats unique? What makes this a pinnacle of Automotive engineering?
As stated before, the combination of all this. Which other car has this power and is this usable at the same time?

The Concorde carried less passengers and less luggage, using more fuel compared to a 747 by the way. So, if the Concorde was worse in almost every category, why did they make it?

Look, the Veyron gives you a whole package, combining enough power with durability and driveability. Trying to get the materials rare, every figure as high a possible and reinventing the automobile completely can be done, but is not the point. The Veyron does what it is supposed to do, and else just works. That's very rare for a supercar, and is a major part of its appeal.

Last edited:
I would say more than 1:17. First because of the weight of the car and then it comes to physics. The track itself has it's own limit, and there is a time you just can't go under in a road car(the F1 car did it in 58 sec but it has 900bhp and weighs less than a ton) I reckon, the Bugatti is like the American muscle cars - fast only in a straight line. I might be wrong, and I really want the Stig to prove me wrong:)

I say that it'll be a disappointment on the track. Sure, it'll still be amongst the fastest cars, but it won't stand on top. >1.17

lol Im kidding. But I see your point and even so I still think it will be the quickest, the monstrous power will be a factor and it's not like the car can't corner at all I mean I remember JC saying "it handles like an elise" ,I'm not saying that line is anywhere near true but I think it means the car can handle just fine, put that along with the power and you get the answer.

God I hope it is the fastest though, keeps the image complete :)

And he called the Toyota F1 car an indy car?:p

Boo hoo, cry me a river!

potential.jpg

1.16.5 - 1.17.0. Car is heavy - bad, car has massive power - good, car is on tight TG track - bad, car is 4 wheel drive - good, car is a customer car - bad (Stig won't want to prang it) and anyway it will probably piss down, ... errrr hence my time estimate.