Bugatti Prediction

Bugatti Prediction

• Total voters
I say it fails to finish because it runs out of petrol

Well, while it may cost US$1.5M, give or take, doesn't it cost Volkswagon US$5M to make each one? If I remember correctly, they basically said, "It costs about the same cost to finance an F1 team for a couple seasons for publicity/advertising as it would to design and build one phenomenal uber-car." Building the one special car sounds like more fun, and has garnered them SOOOO much more press than if they were to spend the money on a couple of seasons of racing.

I don't care that it costs so much that only a few people can afford it. Virgin is going to charge US$200,000 for "several minutes in space."

The purpose of the car wasn't to make "A really great car that people can save up for," but more to built the BEST car ever.

Seeing the car is more of an event, too, due to how rare it is. A baseball game has the feeling of a picnic. The games happen so often, and les rides on each individual game. Football (american), on the other hand...at 3 times during any game, you are fully capable of murdering someone. (sort of a paraphrase from George Carlin)

Because it's more rare, it's more of an event. The Bugatti looks more expensive on the outside, seems more technically advanced and more luxurious and elegant on the inside...I can see how it costs so much more than, for example, a CCX.

VAG does not loose money on the Veyron. I read somewhere, dunno where anymore, that the Veyron doesn't cost VAG more than ONE season in F1. Toyota for example burns 440Million every year in F1.

Wich is more respected the Toyota F1 team or Bugatti? Everyone knows Veyron was built by Volkswagen. Now wich one of these do you think makes consumers think "They make quality products." Honestly, I think that Veyron is not a causeing Volkswagen (or VAG) to loose any money at all. It's a 400km/h advertisement and a great image boost for their company.

Last edited:
VAG does not loose money on the Veyron. I read somewhere, dunno where anymore, that the Veyron doesn't cost VAG more than ONE season in F1. Toyota for example burns 440Million every year in F1.

Wich is more respected the Toyota F1 team or Bugatti? Everyone knows Veyron was built by Volkswagen. Now wich one of these do you think makes consumers think "They make quality products." Honestly, I think that Veyron is not a causeing Volkswagen (or VAG) to loose any money at all. It's a 400km/h advertisement and a great image boost for their company.
I agree, but if you to the "how much does making one Veyron cost"- and "how much do they sell it for"-equation, they lose money.

Last edited:
Interceptor: Are you infact Jeremy Clarkson ?

Seriously, I agree with every single thing you've just said there. I mean I am not the biggest fan of the Veyron, I actually don't even like it, mainly because of it's looks. It seems kind of....whale of a car. But I do have huge and immense respect for the thing.

Especially the design part of it all....it seems that some people do not realise what it takes to make a car go 400km/h and still be actually driveable. It is an astonishing piece of engineering.

When it comes to the business of the TG track, I'm not so sure. I am thinking it'll do something like 1.18.00 and there are many reasons why.

1. For me the most important reason is the track itself. The Veyron will just not have enough space to use it's universe sized power reserves. Yes it is "quite" fast, but the straights are too short, and I do think that it won't be that good in the corners so The Stig would have to break reeeally early.

2. I actually think that the Stig will be somewhat afraid of this car, I mean I would be. It has got a 1000bhp, 2.5sec 0-60mph, it is someone elses car, that costs about $1.000.000. I do not think The Stig could actually do what ever he would like. The follow through for example. The Veyron weighs ssssso much, the Stig can not go full steam through it, because it would just end up going somewhere nasty. I don't think there is still enough downforce.

3. Like mentioned above, I don't think that someone would come to the TG studio and say "Yes please, do trash my concorde car around as much as you like". So then it'd be pointless to put it around if you have to back up, it won't be fair.

I genuienly want the Veyron to go 'round in 1.15.something, I really do, because only then could I actually love this thing. Because at the moment it is "just" a huge straight line lightningspeed GT-car. And I still think it is just fantastic. Now if th Veyron would actually be fast in general, then it would truly be the best car ever to be engineered. And would leave no room for critics to say a damn thing.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the five million price tag considers all of the development costs etc over the whole limited production run with the unit cost of each individual car.

Watch, as I create a car better than the bloody Veyron, at 0:30 in the night!

Stuff needed:
-About half a footballfield of carbonfibre for chassis and bodywork.
-Jeremy Phillips (Sylva Autokits) designed suspension.
-The axemurderer who styled the Sagaris.
-Melling V10, twincharged to a tad bit over 1000hp.
-Quafie 27G Sequential AWD gearbox with matching front and rear diffs.
-BOSE Suspension.
-An optitional shitload of leather upholstery, gadgets and sound dampening.

So...who's up for a little project?

I genuienly want the Veyron to go 'round in 1.15.something, I really do, because only then could I actually love this thing. Because at the moment it is "just" a huge straight line lightningspeed GT-car. And I still think it is just fantastic. Now if th Veyron would actually be fast in general, then it would truly be the best car ever to be engineered. And would leave no room for critics to say a damn thing.

From what I've heard, it handles very well. Clarkson says it's similar to an Elise. I think it trip around the track will show it in a whole different light because everyone imagines that people are driving them 200+ mph in straight lines, or under 10 mph on the Las Vegas strip. In my mind, it will be extremely capable around the bends as well.

If any mod can change my poll options, that would be great. The way I have it, many times, such as 16 seconds flat, have two options, option 3 and 4 for that time. If it could be made to say this, I think it would be more fair...

1) <15
2) 15 - 15.4
3) 15.5 - 15.9
4) 16 - 16.4
5) 16.5 - 17
6) > 17

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

yeah it's possible to do so..

just edit your poll and change the settings (button at the top right)

One could argue the global warming cause by the Shuttle, over time, does NOT improve human life.

.............. water vapor isn't a greenhouse gas.... quite the opposite actually.

OK. Back to topic.
if we compare the Veyron to the current leader of the board, the koenigsegg CCX we might get a bit more insight to what the machine is capable of on the TG track.
0 - 100 km/h
2.5 s for the Veyron *
3.2 s for the CCX *

Standing quarter mile race
10.4 for the Veyron **
9.9 for the CCX *

Breaking distance from 100km/h to 0 km/h
31.4 m for the Veyron *
31 m for the CCX * 27.7 m with the optional breaks

* Taken from info released by the companies themselves.
** Taken from dragtimes.com

The big difference between these two cars is that the Veyron is 4WD and the CCX is RWD, and that the Veyron also weighs about 700kg more.

So as both cars have about the same time for a quarter mile race and about the same lenght for breaking which makes them very equal for the straight lines so it's the corners that will set them apart. My guess is that even though the veyron has 4WD it's not enough to make up for the extra weight in the corners which means Stiggy must slow down more than he had to with the CCX.

If any mod can change my poll options, that would be great. The way I have it, many times, such as 16 seconds flat, have two options, option 3 and 4 for that time. If it could be made to say this, I think it would be more fair...

1) <15
2) 15 - 15.4
3) 15.5 - 15.9
4) 16 - 16.4
5) 16.5 - 17
6) > 17

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

fixed

I thought they only made the one car and they weren't going to make anymore?

Thought it was a one of cause it cost to much to make and would lose so much money on it selling it.

Did I miss something?

I said less than 1:15 just for kicks. Yes, it's heavy, but heavy European cars can still handle well with good tuning (Mercedes S Class, for example). Plus, 0-60 in 2.4 and 922 lb-ft of torque at 2200 RPM (!!!!!) can make up for just about anything.

I thought they only made the one car and they weren't going to make anymore?

Thought it was a one of cause it cost to much to make and would lose so much money on it selling it.

Did I miss something?

yea you did. They plan to make a total of 300 over 5 years

It wont be as good as you think. Its heavy, big and the tracks awfully tight in some parts.

Bugatti will not let Top Gear test the Veyron because they think that it won't be the fastest and it will lose the hype.

Thats my 2 Cents

I was never ever bowled over by the pictures of the Veyron. I saw one the other day and thought it was a Continental GT or a Flying Spur. I was totally unimpressed. It also does 4 MPG. FOUR!

It's probably the biggest waste of money I've ever seen, for the Volkswagon (if Jeremy's crazy claim is correct) and the buyer.

But as for the lap, I really think it will break the Track record. You have to remember it's phenomenal accelleration, the cornering really doesn't matter too much. It shits on the acceleration of any other car in speeds 60 MPH upwards. This really is going to be interesting. SO FUCKING SOMEONE LEND THE STIG YOUR VEYRON

lol this isnt really the type of car you buy with MPG in mind, infact MPG would never enter the equation.

this is not a waste of money. im glad they did it, im glad some one had the fucking gonads to stand up and say "were gonna make a car with 1000bhp and it will do 400km/h" and im even more glad that the engineers involved had even bigger gonads and followed up with this. this isnt so much a car, its more of a statement..... a look at what we can achieve, it'll be a historic piece of engineering.

about the claims on cost, it is said each car costs VW 5 million euros. but i dont believe its 5 million euros to make, i think this cost is the whole projects budget divided by the number of cars they will make. still ?850,000 is alot for a car, but if you have the money then props to you.

infact the car really isnt a waste of money for the buyer at all...... i doubt this thing will depreciate much, and in a few years time it may even be worth more, its that much of a spectacle.

JC did decribe it as a big elise, but im not sure. thats alot of weight to hoof around. still the rear air brake can produce as much deceleration as the brakes on a VW lupo, thats justs the air brake! its got 4 huge carbon-ceramic dinner plates for its main stopping trick. (250 - 0mph in 10 seconds or something daft)

as long as its dry it should be the fastest, its 0-60 time is pretty much the fastest of all the cars before it, and its in-gear acceleration has to be seen to be believed... its hitting 300k 4 seconds after my car supposedly reached 100km/h

however if i had a veyron... no way would i lend the stig it. no way

Exactly. This is why i admire the Veyron and why i just can't care about these wannabes that set out to beat one single acheivement of it (Hennessy, Koenigsegg etc) for something to shout about. The Veyron isn't amazing because it's great at one thing. It's amazing because it's great at everything at the same time.

And that's why i wouldn't be dissapointed to see the Veyron go slower than a few other cars on the track, which i think it would...

the thing i like is that it is just top notch engineering, and ive not heard of one breaking down yet.

im pretty sure these 1000bhp + skylines and 1200bhp vettes are abit tempramental, theyve built a 1000hp engine... but have they got a custom drive train designed to handle 1000bhp and last 20 years built by the chaps at ricardo's? (guys who build F1 boxes...) no.

its the completeness of the car, the sense that they went balls out money no object in all aspects of the car. i like the choices they made, they could of easily took a big V8 and blatted on some big turbos and called it a day...but they didnt. they built a W16 instead.... the engineering behind it is just so much more note worthy.

Last edited:
That very much depends on the person. One could argue the global warming cause by the Shuttle, over time, does NOT improve human life. OR you could argue that if you could afford the Veyron, it would improve your life on the Esteem level of Maslow's hierarchy.

nope

i find it rather cool that the most powerful engines on earth are actually the cleanest. all theyre doing is combining liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen and marrying them in a controlled explosion.

the only by-product is water........ vapour of course due to the heat, but eventually it'll condense and fall as rain. cool eh?

when they test the shuttles engines, shortly after you get a nice shower.

you could of course argue that pretty much creating rain clouds could be detrimental to the environment they are used in, but they launch out of florida and i think they test there too, so the tropicl climate and environment there really wont care about an extra rain shower or two

If i had the money to buy a Veyron, i'd lend it to the Stig and make him go as fast as he possibly could ;P

If i has that kind of money i don't really think i would worry that much. Because really.. What's the worst tning that can happen on the Top Gear test track? That he goes off the track? The damage done from that should be something VW could repair? :p And if you've got the money, why worry?

But of course, if you've just invested your entire fortune in that car, you might not be as willing to do something like that.. :)