Bugatti Prediction

Bugatti Prediction

• Total voters
doesn't the spoiler deploy under breaking, with the key in? Surely you only need the spoiler up for cornering.

It's funny we're discussing this, we might have to wait until 2010 before we see it on the TG test track.

Looks like my prediction may be a bit off. I was pondering if one of my webcomic's characters would get a Veyron (another got a CCR and modded it extensively in a sci-fi way). Googled around and got this site:

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073

It's the lap times of various cars around the Nurburgring, which is probably going to be the best measure we'll have so far. Sources are listed, of course; the key part is that the Veyron is up to six seconds slower than the CCR! The only thing that beat it is... the Zonda F.

Ring times aren't a reliable measure. There's too big a variance in driver talent, knowledge of the circuit, vehicle familiarity, conditions, the fact the lap is so long leads to innacurate times; on a 2 minute track if you make an error you do another lap to get the time. You don't when a lap takes up to 8 minutes.

There are a million other reasons. The ring is a driving experience, it's not a benchmark. A short but technical circuit such as Tsukuba or indeed the top gear track with the same driver are the sort of environment where such comparisons can be made.

Looks like my prediction may be a bit off. I was pondering if one of my webcomic's characters would get a Veyron (another got a CCR and modded it extensively in a sci-fi way). Googled around and got this site:

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073

It's the lap times of various cars around the Nurburgring, which is probably going to be the best measure we'll have so far. Sources are listed, of course; the key part is that the Veyron is up to six seconds slower than the CCR! The only thing that beat it is... the Zonda F.

You might as well completely ignore that. Most of the times are set by German car magazines. The drivers are probably people who know the track very well. The Bugatti time is set by an Ozzie magazine with a driver who probably has less knowledge of the track. There are no other times from the magazine to compare it with so 6 seconds could very easily be made up with a more knowledgeable driver.

A guy about 5 minutes from here owns two Veyrons. Maybe he wouldn't mind shipping one over for Top Gear to use. I mean, you cant use two Veyrons....Well, technically speaking you could. But why?

The Veyron was an exercise in throwing money at an elephant until it dances. VW threw money at a silly idea until it worked, and lost million of R&D dollars creating a halo car so they could potentially sell more DSG gearboxes by telling people their Golf has the same gearbox as a Veyron. Engineering marvel, indeed. More like marketing marvel, if that.

So they spent millions to promote the DSG, which was already working and selling fine before ... riiiiiiight!

Guys, it's fine if you don't like the thing, but how can you say that a car that does 253 mph totally stable and smoothly is just a marketing gag or just a souped up VW?

Last edited:
Interceptor: Are you infact Jeremy Clarkson ?

No, hes just another German that gets wound up when we dare to dislike a German car. I can't wait to see it get mullered at Dunsfold. Then all the fanboys will slaver about how thats not the point of the car and its not a supercar its a GT with no ability and how on a long straght track it would be better and blah blah blah :p

My point is simply that it DOESNT do all the things people claim it does. That they all get blinded by the speed of the thing. (which has already been bested) Its not a great car. Its just a fat, ugly very fast one. Having seen the video of the McLaren F1 (its on Youtube) doing its top speed run. I have to say it doesnt look too scary at 391KMH (Same track btw)

As for Interceptor. I like the fact he'd use the passenger seat for the luggage. Shows how many friends he has... :lol:

But more so I like the "throwing money until the elephant dances" line. Its particularly apt. No other car manufacturer would commit over a Billion Euros to wave their genitals.

No, hes just another German that gets wound up when we dare to dislike a German car.

As for Interceptor. I like the fact he'd use the passenger seat for the luggage. Shows how many friends he has...
As we've gotten to the insults now, we're done with the actual subject I suppose. :rolleyes:

It's got 1001 horsepower vs the 806 of the CCR in US, 850 in UK, 900 if given ethanol... but the CCR's lighter, and the time improved when given a wing to put more downforce on the rear tires. The Veyron's wing when the key's inserted is drawn in and basically negated.

Plus, the average speed around the track is... roughly 58 MPH. Correct me if I'm wrong on this -- this was after a googlesearch for the track's length and calculation with the CCR's time.

There's too many variables to make a firm judgement, and one that can't be ignored -- key in or key out. Key out, I think it'll barely beat the CCR. Key in, I think it'll struggle to match it.

The wing-thing is a load of bs according to Koenigsegg's PR-girl. Apparently the car wasn't "broken in" per say when they first tried it on the track. In Sweden they ran around corners and gave it the proper delivery ready set up. The wing did minor difference.

The wing-thing is a load of bs according to Koenigsegg's PR-girl. Apparently the car wasn't "broken in" per say when they first tried it on the track. In Sweden they ran around corners and gave it the proper delivery ready set up. The wing did minor difference.

I don't get what you're saying. Sounds very scandalous though.

No, hes just another German that gets wound up when we dare to dislike a German car. I can't wait to see it get mullered at Dunsfold. Then all the fanboys will slaver about how thats not the point of the car and its not a supercar its a GT with no ability and how on a long straght track it would be better and blah blah blah :p

My point is simply that it DOESNT do all the things people claim it does. That they all get blinded by the speed of the thing. (which has already been bested) Its not a great car. Its just a fat, ugly very fast one. Having seen the video of the McLaren F1 (its on Youtube) doing its top speed run. I have to say it doesnt look too scary at 391KMH (Same track btw)

As for Interceptor. I like the fact he'd use the passenger seat for the luggage. Shows how many friends he has... :lol:

But more so I like the "throwing money until the elephant dances" line. Its particularly apt. No other car manufacturer would commit over a Billion Euros to wave their genitals.

What car has actually beaten it's top speed may I ask?
We have no references for how it handles other than Clarkson says it is like a big Lotus Elise. I still believe it would obliterate the CCX on the Top Gear track by at least .5 of a second.

Okay, although it is highly likely that you're just a troll and won't understand a word of what I'll say, I'm going to answer your posting anyway.
No, hes just another German that gets wound up when we dare to dislike a German car.
Reading this, I actually have to restrain myself not to insult you. The fact that I am German has nothing to do with me liking the Veyron. If you would have read what I've written so far, you'd know, but obviously, it's easier to just post away. I do not like every German car, and I also like cars from other nations. This fact alone shows that you don't have the slightest idea of what you're actually talking about. Instead, you have prejudices and seem to live fine with them.

I can't wait to see it get mullered at Dunsfold. Then all the fanboys will slaver about how thats not the point of the car and its not a supercar its a GT with no ability and how on a long straght track it would be better and blah blah blah
Again, if you would have read the postings in this thread, you will notice that everyone but you draws a distinction between loving or hating the Veyron for whatever reason, and the outcome of the Stigs lap at Dunsfold. As before, your statement is full of prejudice and has little to nothing to do with what has been written here before.

My point is simply that it DOESNT do all the things people claim it does. That they all get blinded by the speed of the thing. (which has already been bested)
Okay, the Veyron is quick in a straight line, even you'll have to agree to that. Apart from that, you should have noticed that the majority has doubts it is particularly good in corners. Jeremy Clarkson said that it handles surprisingly well, and so has Gordon Murray, the developer of the McLaren F1. Surprisingly well only means that you don't feel the enormous weight of the car not as much as you do in others - nothing more, and nothing less. I just wonder whom you are referring to with your statement then, cause it seems that noone said it would outhandle a car like the Koenigsegg CCX on a twisty track. Who, I ask you, is "blinded by the speed of the thing" then?

Its not a great car. Its just a fat, ugly very fast one. Having seen the video of the McLaren F1 (its on Youtube) doing its top speed run. I have to say it doesnt look too scary at 391KMH (Same track btw)
I didn't see anyone saying that the McLaren F1 get's instable at high speeds (although this video might be of interest to you). Anyway, you can not deny that the Veyron looks very stable at top speed - full stop. So, it is car car that can go very fast staying very stable, is fairly luxury, and handles at least okay. How is it not a great car then?

As for Interceptor. I like the fact he'd use the passenger seat for the luggage. Shows how many friends he has...
I'm not going to excessively comment this one, I just want to say this much: using insults in a discussion is a sign of running out of valid arguments.

I've written about the history of the Veyron before, but obviously, you haven't read that as well. If you'd have chosen the goals and then made the car, it would have been looking different - no doubt about that. They didn't, and instead took the hard way. So what? Does that make the Veyron a bad car?
In the history of mankind, countless brilliant ideas, invented or found by accident, have been cockled, cause they seemed to expensive, useless or just stupid. Still, some made it to the surface and became some of the greatest and most important inventions. If you watch them now, it is surprising which way many of them took. And it's the same with this car. It didn't take the easy way, it had to take the hard one. But I fail to see how this makes this a bad car.

In conclusion, I dissociate from being a fanboy, and in the same breath, call you an anti-Veyron-fanboy. All you do is ignore every fact and statement you are presented, and blindly bash it. Therefor, I must conclude you are an idiot. :thumbsdown:

Regards
the Interceptor

Last edited:
It can't not be the fastest on the track because most of the focus was purely on making it fast. Im not sure sure how many billionaires watch the show, but if its not the fastest 'round the track i know i'll laugh at them and make jokes about the swedish being better:p

When reading most of the comments, I noticed that several members believe the weight of the car to slow it down in the corners.
Well, though it may be true in some ways, it is not true as the cause itself.
The ability to drive around the corner depends from the coefficient of friction. In other worlds, of surface properties only, not weight nor the width of the tyres.

The reasons lie in other circumstances.

Yes but inertia is what makes the car tend to go straight, when going round corners, and the greater the weight, the greater the inertia

In conclusion, I dissociate from being a fanboy, and in the same breath, call you an anti-Veyron-fanboy. All you do is ignore every fact and statement you are presented, and blindly bash it. Therefor, I must conclude you are an idiot. :thumbsdown:
Give up, that guy is hopeless.

I remember having a lenghty discussion with the fool about a year ago. He didn't believe the Veyron's figures at all. He wanted to see the topspeed confirmed and when I provided him with several links he said the T?V is biased towards the "German Veyron", numbers in magazine reviews were probably only estimates and so and so forth. He didn't even believe the Veyron produces 1001hp and wanted to see dyno results. He is an admitted Veyron hater, but it was ridiculous. Like I said back then, he doubts everything he hears about the Veyron but probably never doubted numbers posted for the Carrera GT, Enzo, etc. You should do a search, that guy is unbelievable.

Well the Zonda F weights 2 712 lbs, the Veyron weights 4162 lbs. And the volkswagen Bugatti is 4wd.
Hence a couple of problems:
1) I doubt you can do a proper high-revved start due to enormous torque which would just rip the driveshaft or the gearbox apart (well in case the box has some sort of hydro transformer it'll be quite safe, yet you'll lose the torque). I know, 2.5 seconds is the claimed 0-60 time, yet i believe you'll have problems achieving that.
2) Earlier braking, as kinematic energy is higher.
1) The Veyron has launch control, which makes doing a 2.5 second launch pretty easy. Furthermore, you can do high-rev start. If you do, the Veyron will leave 25m long black marks on the tarmac, despite 4WD.

2) Read up on the Veyron's breaking figures. Even though the car's heavy, they're utterly amazing.

Bugatti will not let Top Gear test the Veyron because they think that it won't be the fastest and it will lose the hype.
They're probably just afraid it will get damaged.

Remember when Ferrari wouldn't lend them an Enzo, at all? When the Stig finally got his hands on one, it set a new record. Therefore, you can't just draw such a conclusion.

yeah it's possible to do so..

just edit your poll and change the settings (button at the top right)
Wow, out of nowhere you two are back in this thread. Reminds me of the good old days, I've gotten pretty quiet as well... :)

Give up, that guy is hopeless.

I remember having a lenghty discussion with the fool about a year ago. He didn't believe the Veyron's figures at all. He wanted to see the topspeed confirmed and when I provided him with several links he said the T?V is biased towards the "German Veyron", numbers in magazine reviews were probably only estimates and so and so forth. He didn't even believe the Veyron produces 1001hp and wanted to see dyno results. He is an admitted Veyron hater, but it was ridiculous. Like I said back then, he doubts everything he hears about the Veyron but probably never doubted numbers posted for the Carrera GT, Enzo, etc. You should do a search, that guy is unbelievable.
Thanks for the heads-up! I just wonder what he says about James Mays top speed run then. Staged? :blink:

Yes but inertia is what makes the car tend to go straight, when going round corners, and the greater the weight, the greater the inertia

And then again the weight of the car pushes it harder on the ground, thus the effect is zero.