• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

bugatti veyron confirmed 248.5 but aint that slow...

barreoty

What I mean is ok it has done 248.5mph, but the mclaren f1 road car did 391 kph or 244.375, I ave the video to prove and that as 621bhp, I was thinking the veyron was going to do about 260-270mph but for a measley 4mph quicker with an extra 400bhp and god knows how much more talk just don't sell it for me, anyone else got any comments on that.

p.s. the 241mph for the macca was basically its mean average as they done two runs and work out the average, whereas it actual peak speed was the aforementioned, just if anyone was gonna query

god knows how much more talk

Heh, you've got no idea how true that is. I know you mistyped torque, but the Veyron is so overhyped that the fact it became the quickest production car is hardly anything to get excited about.

I think the Veyron should be able to achieve a much higher top speed if given more road and also the gearing is correct (perhaps running a really strong CVT :p)

The formula for Topspeed is
Power (Kw) = rolling resistance + V^3 x Cd x A / 76716
Cd = drag coefficient
A = frontal surface area

Rolling resistance tends to be negligible (less than 10 in most cases)
So should be able to work it out by filling the numbers in.

Was this test done on a straight road or a circular/oval track? Either way I think that the incredible weight of the Veyron will have some negative effects. On a straight track it would be hard to accelerate something that heavy to its top speed in such a limited distance, while if on a circular/oval track the car would have to deal with the constant change of direction which is more evident on heavier cars, also slowing it way down.

If they could find a track where they could avoid all these problems, then I agree with you it should go much faster.

YipMing said:
god knows how much more talk

Heh, you've got no idea how true that is. I know you mistyped torque, but the Veyron is so overhyped that the fact it became the quickest production car is hardly anything to get excited about.

I think the Veyron should be able to achieve a much higher top speed if given more road and also the gearing is correct (perhaps running a really strong CVT :p)

The formula for Topspeed is
Power (Kw) = rolling resistance + V^3 x Cd x A / 76716
Cd = drag coefficient
A = frontal surface area

Rolling resistance tends to be negligible (less than 10 in most cases)
So should be able to work it out by filling the numbers in.

oooooo more formulas... and notice from this one, the slight increase in velocity is met with a cube function. This means a slight increase in velocity needs a massive increase in power required. Although being only 4 mph faster, this increase doesn't warrant the need for 400 more brake horses. I'd say gearing probably had something to do with it. After all they only just got the brakes figured out, you wouldn't want to top it out just yet.

At those speeds, you need exponentially more power to get that extra mph. The air drag is so high that adding 100hp will only add a hair more to your speed.

Instead of making crazy power, they should have concentrated more on aerodynamics.

Z Draci said:
Instead of making crazy power, they should have concentrated more on aerodynamics.

But thats very limited. Cause this is a production car and has to meet many standards.

the thing is, air friction that's slowing any car down...
the Veyron weigh's like what 4000 lbs?
so when it's just sitting down, it's 4000lbs, the faster it starts moving, not only does it have to fight air frction, but the actual weight of the car because of downforce increase...so by the time it hits 200mph, chances are, that engine is being foraced to move about 8000lbs against air friction.

i read somewhere, that the fast your go, you need like an extra 50hp to gain that one mph...

so if you do the math, if the mclaren wighs 3000lbs and makes 600hp, you can imagine why a car that weights like 1000lbs more, needs that extra 400 hp to get to the sames speeds...

it's all just physics and makes total sense...

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
It's still the difference between being the fastest car in the world and not being the fastest car in the world.

Yep. If the F1 was the #2 fastest car (maybe if the xj220 didn't way 50 tonnes), it wouldn't have had that much of an impact?

barreoty said:
but the mclaren f1 road car did 391 kph or 244.375
Don't forget that this McLaren F1 wasn't stock...

Leppy said:
After all they only just got the brakes figured out, you wouldn't want to top it out just yet.

Let me quote myself from another thread:
oliB said:
Do you really believe this joke JC made for the sake of entertainment? :thumbsdown:

For instance, the brakes of the Veyron are phenomonal!
They can decelerate the car from 400 km/h to 0 in less than 10 seconds! :shock:
(read it in a special about the Veyron in the "auto motor und sport")

The brakes are probably much better those on the Koenigsegg! Btw, I'm saying this even though I'm a fan of the Koenigsegg...

cya
Oliver

Gear ratios and tyres... that's all I got to say (in addition to whats already said...) :D

It's already been established why it didn't make it to 250, so I won't even talk about it. :)

Dr. Woo said:
It's already been established why it didn't make it to 250, so I won't even talk about it. :)

really? where? (no, not being sarcastic, but a genuine interest)

But anyway, for those that put the weight into the formula. It's included as the rolling resistance. But since Air resistance is HUGE compared to rolling resistance once you get your speed up, so weight tends to be neglible.

It's noted that in SuperGT (replaced JGTC) when a car has 100kg or something added to it after winning lots of rounds, the top speed down the drag is almost the same. It just takes longer to get there, longer to accelerate out of corner, but given a long stretch of road, the top speed is pretty much the same.

Not sure, but what's the Cd of Veyron compared to the modded McF1 anyway? Suppose their surface area should be around the same ....

Raider said:
the thing is, air friction that's slowing any car down...
the Veyron weigh's like what 4000 lbs?
so when it's just sitting down, it's 4000lbs, the faster it starts moving, not only does it have to fight air frction, but the actual weight of the car because of downforce increase...so by the time it hits 200mph, chances are, that engine is being foraced to move about 8000lbs against air friction.

i read somewhere, that the fast your go, you need like an extra 50hp to gain that one mph...

so if you do the math, if the mclaren wighs 3000lbs and makes 600hp, you can imagine why a car that weights like 1000lbs more, needs that extra 400 hp to get to the sames speeds...

it's all just physics and makes total sense...

yeah but your physics are wrong.

The reason downforce is required to be overcome is because the body of the car is redirecting the air. With this redirection, the air pushes down and also backwards on the car, hence drag. The weight of the car has very little to do with the top speed of the car. Its how long the car takes to get to that top speed. Thats when weight comes into the fray.

Also what you read about needing 50hp/mph increase is correct.... for one speed and one speed only. That number is forever changing in every speed and in every condition.

some rich ass Norwegian has ordered one, only he's bringing it in from Spain where it is half the price.

Norway price: 16.000.000 NOK (~ ?1.951.219)
Spain price: half :D

haz

What does it help that it's half the price in Spain when the price is so high here because of the taxes
which he is still going to have to pay when he brings it into the country?

Unless he is planning to keep it in Spain or the Spanish currency is really really low
I can't see the advantage..

I was thinking the same thing ...... he is either going to keep it there (maybe he has a house there?) or he has gone over some numbers and figures he wil save a few bucks taking it in from there .... I dunno ...

It's the boss of the mobile company "Chess" you know ...

haz