Bugatti Veyron once again claims the title with the 267.9 mph Supersport

I think they just need to get the two cars together and do a top speed run. At the same time.

The Bugatti Veyron is the Oxo Good Grips of hypercars. Decent end result, but easy for most to use because it's a bit over-engineered.

Last edited:
And in yet another "Europe vs america" car thread certain biased europeans and euro-fanboys neglect to mention that the "comparible" american car always seems to cost a third or one half of what the comparible in performance european car does. Its a fine example of why you, faceless real life european internet person, tout ferarri and mercades as the pinnicle of automotive bliss, wear their t-shirts around, and tool about town in a 1.2L front wheel drive fiat hatchback or at most, a 2.XL BMW diesel in a car that weighs almost as much as our old lead sleds :p. Or worse, public transportation...

Lets use our favorite show, top gear, as an example. Shall we?

*Like comparing $20 grand mustang to a $70 grand lotus in series 8 (And racing "On our short circuit" to cut the straights to an absolute minimum, and still the mustang finished right on its tail

*Or comparing a $40 grand camaro to a $220,000 (TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY THOUSAND) AMG Mercedes.

Hey Americans! Lets make sure to compare the new Corvette or Viper to a UK-spec mid-range volvo diesel estate as soon as we get out own top gear, than laugh at them for how poor their cars seem to be. I wonder how finalgear would react to that? As usual, americans can get you 90 percent of the performance for a tiny fraction of the price, but certain europhile snobs compare the cars directly and act smug when the car that costs 5 times less goes slightly slower. Its lame and you lot know it is.

(Disclaimer: All prices in US dollars, estimated roughly with internet research and an assumption that the pound is worth roughly 2 dollars, although i think it may be something like 1.7 at this point. Also all priced rounded)

Last edited:
And in yet another "Europe vs america" car thread certain biased europeans and euro-fanboys neglect to mention that the "comparible" american car always seems to cost a third or one half of what the comparible in performance european car does.
Well, you are were free to be the one to bring price into the discussion, and you could have done that without the namecalling. That aside, you just suspected every European member participating in this thread of thinking of the price difference and intentionally keeping quiet about it.

Last edited:
Er...an E63 starts at $90K or so.

Just spec'd one on their website, and I couldn't get it any higher than $109,770

1 UK = $1.55
$1 = .64 UK

But comparing the price of a european car in europe to the price of the same car in the US, or a car from another continent doesn't work quite right.

For example, the price of the Camaro in the US x .64 won't equal the price of the Camaro in the UK.

Last edited:
Well, you are were free to be the one to bring price into the discussion, and you could have done that without the namecalling. That aside, you just suspected every European member participating in this thread of thinking of the price difference and intentionally keeping quiet about it.

I said "Certain biased europeans" on purpose, emphisis on "Biased". I dont want to generalize 100 percent, i'm after the biased ones, not judging people based on where they live. I understand how it would be easy to make the mistake though. But when fighting the "Lol yanks" attitude, you really can only go on the offensive, or apologize and slink away while being pelted with rocks.

Just spec'd one (E63 merc) on their website, and I couldn't get it any higher than $109,770

Is the bonkers AMG model featured in the series 15 top gear episode available in the US website yet? I suspect not.

Last edited:
I said "Certain biased europeans" on purpose, emphisis on "Biased". I dont want to generalize 100 percent, i'm after the biased ones, not judging people based on where they live. I understand how it would be easy to make the mistake though. But when fighting the "Lol yanks" attitude, you really can only go on the offensive, or apologize and slink away while being pelted with rocks.
I apologize for misunderstanding you then. And I too see the problem, it's a difficult and delicate subject with no real way out, no way all sides can live with anyway. One of the bigger problems in threads like these seems to be that based on one's arguments, (s)he is immediately being put onto one side of the fence and will be associated with all statements the specific group brings forward. And yet, everyone has his own opinions and experiences, so one can hardly make such simplified assumptions.

As for the subject at hand, the price difference is very real in all comparisons. Yet, you can not reduce a car to its performance. Driving a car always is an experience speaking to all of your senses, so while a decision for one of the competitors might be very clear when you look at the raw figures, having driven both cars might produce a completely different result. I for one always feel very "at home" in a Mercedes, a feeling no other brand has ever given me. I have felt very well in other cars, but in a Merc I can close the door and I just feel like I belong there. That said, I might be willing to spend considerably more money for it than for a car which delivers just the same performance figures.

And there we are again: People who like the Veyron like it because it's a whole new breed of car and redefines the terms in which we think automotive speed can be achieved and experienced. People who prefer the SSC like it because it's a "traditional" whacky gonna-rip-yer-head-off hypercar AND just as fast as the Veyron.

Round and round and round..

This. And, of course, you can bring the greatest continent in the world vs. the greatest country in the world into it if it gets boring.

This. And, of course, you can bring the greatest continent in the world vs. the greatest country in the world into it if it gets boring.

Wait, why would you compare Australia vs. Australia?

And in yet another "Europe vs america" car thread certain biased europeans and euro-fanboys neglect to mention that the "comparible" american car always seems to cost a third or one half of what the comparible in performance european car does.

The price of the SSC is irrelevant, no one really makes the distinction between $700,000 and $1.5 million, if you can afford one you can probably afford the other. The Koenigsegg CCX and Zonda F cost roughly the same as the SSC as far as I know, and no one really touts those as being value-minded compared to the Veyron. Also the price difference between the E63 and the Camaro in the UK is around 25-30,000 pounds. Also the Mustang that was being tested was a ~$50K Roush which probably costs about the same as an Exige does in Europe. I'm not sure where you got your numbers from, but you might want to recheck them.

And besides, both of those comparisons you mentioned were demonstrating the difference between US and European takes on a common vehicle-type and not necessarily a straight comparison of the two cars themselves. IE, this is an American sports car and here is a British one; and here is an American muscle car and here is Germany's take on a muscle car.

Also the Mustang that was being tested was a ~$50K Roush which probably costs about the same as an Exige does in Europe. I'm not sure where you got your numbers from, but you might want to recheck them.

The yellow one? It appeared to be a stock GT with no supercharging or sticker tom-foolery of any kind. It costs about what a mid-range Volkswagen. Why they didnt race it against a VW i'm not sure, probibly to have a laugh at american cars, again.

Skip to 2:30, Note the stock everything, the lack of any form of supercharger, ect.

[youtube]TL2MYm1bjto[/youtube]

Last edited:
The yellow one? It appeared to be a stock GT with no supercharging or sticker tom-foolery of any kind. It costs about what a mid-range Volkswagen. Why they didnt race it against a VW i'm not sure, probibly to have a laugh at american cars, again.

You are thinking US prices. In the UK a Mustang GT is a hell of a lot more expensive than a mid-range VW.
A Mustang GT is about ?40,000 and a base Exige is about ?35,000.

Last edited:

Skip to 2:30, Note the stock everything, the lack of any form of supercharger, ect.

Ah my bad, I got that bit mixed up with the segment in one of Clarkson's dvds

Also the Mustang GT costs around 30,000 GBP minimum while the Exige costs 35,000 GBP. The Roush is probably more expensive than the Lotus in this case.

Last edited:
American cars deliver much more power for the $$ spent. However, I think this only applies to US markets. A lot of USA products seem get their prices jacked up in Europe because of different competition; try comparing two identical laptops in EU and N.A. There's usually a 30% increase in EU, I'll bet that carries over to cars as well. Now a good question that I can't answer is: how does the price of euro cars in EU and N.A. compare?

On topic: Bugatti's are cool.

American cars deliver much more power for the $$ spent. However, I think this only applies to US markets. A lot of USA products seem get their prices jacked up in Europe because of different competition; try comparing two identical laptops in EU and N.A. There's usually a 30% increase in EU, I'll bet that carries over to cars as well. Now a good question that I can't answer is: how does the price of euro cars in EU and N.A. compare?

On topic: Bugatti's are cool.

BMW 760Li, USA $137000, Germany ?145400, 145 400 Euros = 191 738.98 U.S. dollars.

Cars are a lot more expensive in Europe than in USA, and MattD1zzl3's comparing the American price of a Mustang to the UK Price of the Exige shows about as much of a worldly horizon as thinking that all countries in the world speak "american" and accept "bucks".

I once did a chart (yes, I am German) with a comparison of US and German prices for a range of cars. With very few exceptions, it turned out that on average you can take the US price in $, add 25% to it, cross out the $ and write ?. So basically, German prices are 125% US prices plus the exchange rate. So right now with an exchange rate of US$ 1,31 per Euro, a car costs 64% more in Germany than in the US on average.

Last edited:
I once did a chart (yes, I am German) with a comparison of US and German prices for a range of cars. With very few exceptions, it turned out that on average you can take the US price in $, add 25% to it, cross out the $ and write ?. So basically, German prices are 125% US prices plus the exchange rate. So right now with an exchange rate of US$ 1,31 per Euro, a car costs 64% more in Germany than in the US on average.

Germans....

:p