Builders of the "Hawk" Stratos replica hit out against TopGear!

to be honest, this man trying to take a chunk out of top gear for doing their job would have lost my business after top gear got him my business, especially as i didn't know this kit existed before.. (if i were in the market for a kit car that is.)
Problem is that they didn't do their job. As entertainers yes, but not as journalists.

OK so I did it. Or rather Andy Hamilton from the Daily Fail ;) just had 20 minutes on the phone with Gerry Hawkridge of Hawk Cars.

His initial reaction was that he and several others had been to hell and back. They were initially approached to find an Alitalia liveried car for static photography, and made it quite clear the car had not been used for 9 months and had an issue with the brakes. It was then driven by JC such that the brake issue became fully apparent as seen in the film. Once that was sorted the Stig then took it at full chat from cold before blowing the engine. The car was then sent away to have a new engine fitted (at the owner's expense although Gerry understands he will be fully reimbursed) and various other work was done once it became clear that it was to be Stigged including a brake overhaul, new light plus new wheels and racing slicks which when they came to film were unsuitable for the prevailing conditions. The spins were all staged and they did do around 30 laps to get all the angles etc etc. He also pointed out that they did not build the car themselves and the present owner bought it second-hand from the original builder.

In addition the car was fitted with side impact bars for racing but rather than remove them he clambered in making it look harder than it was, damaging the window and the door mechanism in the process.

Having seen the intended film Hawk Cars spent "significant sums" on legal advice and letters and it was a hastily edited and redubbed version of the original film that was aired on Sunday. His abiding impression of TG is that "they don't treat people well".

That said his website normally gets around 6k hits per day. On Sunday night it got 21k, and over a quarter of a million on Monday. He has received numerous enquiries via phone and e-mail and is sending out much larger numbers of brochures that he would normally although he was sceptical about whether this would lead to increased sales as one of his cars featured on a positive film by JC 15 years ago on old TG and had little impact on his business. I may therefore have to touch bases with him in a few months to check on results.

I realise this is simply another side to the story, but at least I got it from the horse's mouth.

MWF Reports - Putting the "ew" into News!!!!

Last edited:
I watched it and I still want it :/

Desperately.

I knew Top Gear were hamming it up and anyone who loves cars and actually might do something like buy a kit car would NOT have been turned off by TG.

The idea of a kit stratos with the alfa V6 is now my happy place when I am bored at work.

let's face it, the car did have problems even if it completed 30 laps of the track (and i'm sure that's exagerated) but we know that they break most of the cars they send around anyhow. so it should have been expected.

if he were a smart man, he should have known this was going to happen.

I don't care if it is Top Gear, nobody should ever have to lend their pride and joy that they've spent thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours on to a TV show expecting it to be trashed.

The Stig used last week sounds like he has little or no care for the cars he drives and having the whole thing scripted around it being rubbish actually came across badly in my opinion. It was the only part of the show I didn't like and I just wanted to see a clean lap.

Most of the cars that go on the track and get slated or wrecked are either cars bought by TG (challenge cars or the Marinas) or are lent to them by big faceless companies who couldn't care less if the car comes back with no tread on the tyres and melted brakes, not an individual who put his own blood and sweat into it.

That little car looked great, I think the TG team really fucked up this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
never mind the fact that top gear is paying for any damages?

if you wanted your car on top gear, you shouldn't expect it back the same. the second that Jeremy puts it into a long power slide... there goes something... he should have expected work to e done after, the fact that the engine blew.... it's an Alfa engine, and they are replacing it for him.

OK so I did it. Or rather Andy Hamilton from the Daily Fail ;) just had 20 minutes on the phone with Gerry Hawkridge of Hawk Cars.

Now just wait a second here. Did you just do what I think you just did? Are you built out of WIN on a subcellular level or something?!?!?! Please, for the love of all that is good and ironic, someone +rep the man!

Now just wait a second here. Did you just do what I think you just did? Are you built out of WIN on a subcellular level or something?!?!?! Please, for the love of all that is good and ironic, someone +rep the man!

Yes, I telephoned Hawk Cars and announced myself as Andy Hamilton from the Daily Mail - a couple of short questions and he spilled the beans quite happily, so much so I could barely get a word in after that!!!

Happy to do the same in future for back-stories on any other TG related stuff. Does that make me FG's Roving Reporter? Or should that be Raving?

Oh.... Andy Hamilton eh? riiiight

Interesting that they re-edited the film

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mineworksfine again.

:(

Fantastic work getting the interview. Did you really say Daily Fail?

I don't care if it is Top Gear, nobody should ever have to lend their pride and joy that they've spent thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours on to a TV show expecting it to be trashed.

Well, if you don't want you car to be abused don't lend it to any TV show. A film crew's job is to produce the best film possible. If this means damaging the car - if intentional or unintentional - they will do it. And if someone dumps an Aston in a lake, shit happens.
A better result is always worth more than paying for the damages. Some film companies have stopped relying on rented cars for shoots and instead buy and re-sell, just to evade the problems with the owners. All this is true eventhough the Delta Integrale owner really enjoyed working with the TG boys, but "classic car enthusiast even more enthusiastic after working with Top Gear" is no news, isn't it? "Kit car maker lends a car to film production firm without thinking it through" seems to be one, if worded right.

Having said this - if i want my car to be presented as a good vehicle, i should not provide one that's past it's prime. That's why test cars from "real" car makers are always brandnew low-mileage vehicles. Everything in Top Gear's reporting on the Kit car boils down to that.

Regarding the stig lap: that was the only part of the episode i really hated - it was OBVIOUS that the Stig did not attempt to do a good lap, in fact, i deducted two points from my rating for the episode cause of it.

Last edited:
As for Top Gear, where do these pieces take us? Which words the guys speak out am I to believe, and which shouldn't I believe? Is it all just entertainment? Am I to choose wildly which bit is a true fact, and which bit is just imaginary? They give so much information on any car they review, what do I end up with if its all worthless? Yeah, a nice hour of HD car entertainment at its finest, but a hollow stage behind a curtain of "We tell you what a car is really like!".

That's my biggest concern as well. I honestly think every segment of every episode is a complete lie. At least in the past few series. That's the only way I can really enjoy the show, I can't take it the least bit seriously. There just isn't a reason to believe anything they say anymore. Even when they're just talking about cars, giving their impressions and opinions. That was my favorite thing about TopGear, they speak their minds! But now I have to seriously question whether or not they're giving their own opinions or just reading a scripted review written by some writer back in the production office.

Say what you will about the entertainment quality of the show, and be an apologist for everything the show does, but it is possible to make a solidly entertaining show without sacrificing all your integrity in the process.

That's my biggest concern as well. I honestly think every segment of every episode is a complete lie. At least in the past few series. That's the only way I can really enjoy the show, I can't take it the least bit seriously. There just isn't a reason to believe anything they say anymore. Even when they're just talking about cars, giving their impressions and opinions. That was my favorite thing about TopGear, they speak their minds! But now I have to seriously question whether or not they're giving their own opinions or just reading a scripted review written by some writer back in the production office.

Say what you will about the entertainment quality of the show, and be an apologist for everything the show does, but it is possible to make a solidly entertaining show without sacrificing all your integrity in the process.

http://img8.imageshack.**/img8/3040/itsaconspiracye.jpg

Just enjoy the show (or don't) and don't read too much into the things that they do. They give their opinions on cars that I will probably never get a chance to drive, so I couldn't care less about the consumer advice aspect of the show. Their reviews are pretty similar, in content at least, to the reviews by EVO, Autocar, and Motor Trend. So for the most part you know what the objective part of the review is going to be like. I like watching Top Gear because they tend to gloss over the objective stuff and go straight for the personal opinions.

While I can understand why the owner would be upset...to be blunt honest..

What did he expect to happen to his car?

Even the top shelf ultra-high dollar cars get abused on the track.

They crashed the Konninensiggg....igg into a tire wall, they've shredded and blown the tires off a Bentley...twice. even the Zonda ended up with smoke rolling out of it around the track. For the race against the jet, they brought two Bugattis...just in case.

And on..and on..and on..

Who here would be willing to have the Team 'borrow' their car for an episode?

Not me!

TG should not fuck with people like that. The big bully always picks on the little guy. And the little guy usually can't afford to take legal action.

There's only one thing to do now. TG need to get them to sort out the car 100%, and get it back for The Stig to have a proper go on a dry track.

Is it a bad thing that none of this makes any difference to me what so ever? Because really, it doesn't... Top Gear is still the best thing on TV (or my computer)...

People who buy kit cars know what they are getting into. I don't think TG's review was overly harsh. But staging the spins were a little bit over the top. I would've loved to see a clean lap of that car. Even if they later remove the time from the board.

While I can understand why the owner would be upset...to be blunt honest..

What did he expect to happen to his car?

Even the top shelf ultra-high dollar cars get abused on the track.

They crashed the Konninensiggg....igg into a tire wall, they've shredded and blown the tires off a Bentley...twice. even the Zonda ended up with smoke rolling out of it around the track. For the race against the jet, they brought two Bugattis...just in case.

And on..and on..and on..

Who here would be willing to have the Team 'borrow' their car for an episode?

Not me!

i totally agree...mostly. i would let them use may car!

the bottom line is that people just want something to complain about. this is supposed to be an entertaining look at 3 guys who love cars and not so much a car review show like the other ones. thats how you have to watch it. if you lend these kinds of people your car to use on the show, well, thats what you get, 3 guys having fun with something that isnt thiers.